iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of those days

Started by rph816, June 16, 2011, 11:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rph816

I don't get a whole lot of time to sawmill, so when I do I like to take full advantage of it.  in the last month, I've spent about 8 hours milling (I know, that makes me a slacker).  I got in 5 great hours one Saturday afternoon, milled 11 logs and filled a pickup and trailer.  Last night I ran out to the woodlot right after work hoping to get 3 solid hours of sawing in to get the rest of a pile cleaned up.  Well, I couldn't quite get my rhythm going.  Threw a blade off after about 4 cuts (100% operator error), the the switch for the head raise/lower went out.  I ran the rest of the night by just holding wires together by hand. 

After getting 3 big douglas fir logs cut, it was getting pretty late.  Pack up the mill (since I have a demo this Saturday) only to find that I didn't grab the adapter for the trailer lights (why it's out of the truck is beyond me).  It's getting late and dark so I rig up the lights using an old broken adapter, get everything hooked up and pulled up on the driveway only to realize I left a tape measure on the fender, and my gloves and earmuffs on the console.  Fortunately I hadn't gone far so I found all three easily.  Now, a quick once over before heading home (10:15 at this point).  I stopped one more time before hitting the highway to recheck everything.  Got home cleaned up and in bed by 11:15.  This morning I go out to unhook the mill to head in to work only to find that somewhere (probably pretty early on) two hydraulic hoses for the loaders slipped down and dragged themselves raw. 

I'm not sure 350 bd ft of douglas fir 1x6s was worth it.  Oh well, somedays you run like gangbusters and others you drive yourself crazy.   Now to radio shack for a 3 dollar swith and the hydraulic shop for a pair of over-priced hoses. 

Ryan

WH_Conley

Some days you are the windshield, some days you are the bug. ;)
Bill

Chuck White

Quote from: rph816 on June 16, 2011, 11:24:59 AM

I'm not sure 350 bd ft of douglas fir 1x6s was worth it.  Oh well, somedays you run like gangbusters and others you drive yourself crazy.   Now to radio shack for a 3 dollar swith and the hydraulic shop for a pair of over-priced hoses

Ryan

Why not just take the 2 hoses to the hydraulic shop and have them spliced?

Just a connector rather than the complete hoses!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

dovetails

[/quote]

Don't know about up in NY, but down here, unless you "know"someone, the shops will not splice or even put a new end on a used hose.  It "might" fail,and they would be responsable...  They don't even want to put ends on any new hose you bring in, say they have to sell you their new hose. So I use the screw on ends,I can change myself!
1984 wm lt30,ford 3000 w/frt lift,several chain saws, 1953 model 30 Vermeer stump grinder,full wood working shop, log home in the woods what more ya need?

GF

I have those type of days to, have days nothing goes wrong, then those days that soon as you start then something goes wrong.

GF

cutterboy

Hey rph, I have those days too. One step foward and two back. Watch out for the cliff behind you!
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

sdunston

Quote from: dovetails on June 17, 2011, 04:34:28 AM

Don't know about up in NY, but down here, unless you "know"someone, the shops will not splice or even put a new end on a used hose.  It "might" fail,and they would be responsable...  They don't even want to put ends on any new hose you bring in, say they have to sell you their new hose. So I use the screw on ends,I can change myself!
[/quote]

Thats kinda strange, I can get any end on any hose but no one has the screw on hp ends

Thanks sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

rph816

Well, I'm back from the hydraulic shop.  $100 worth of hoses/fittings, and I should be back up and running.  Splicing wasn't an option, the hoses dragged on the road and were literally shredded.  I guess I could've tried to talk the guy into salvaging 18" off each piece, but I'd just as soon have the new hose.

Well, the good news is that sawmilling isn't my livlihood, so we still get to eat despite a few days down time.  The bad news is my sawmilling hasn't made me any money, so repairs like this come out of the family budget.  Maybe I should start trying to sell some of the "product."

Ryan

Thank You Sponsors!