iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new guy took the plundge

Started by Tom L, June 16, 2011, 08:49:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

after lurking here for a while, and spending a couple of months comparing mills

Wood mizer comes out with their summer sale and I couldn't resist, ordered an LT28 with a diesel
yesterday, should be at the dealer in 5 weeks.

Worked out a deal on a trailer and grapple from wallenstein last week so I can move some lumber to the mill and use the knuckleboom to load the logs and maybe even help turn them.

the way I was thinking is instead of buying all the hydraulics with the mill, I can use the grapple on the trailer to help collect and load, IMO I saved a bit of money anyway. and get a dual purpose trailer to help out.

hope it all works out, will be fun making my own lumber for projects and all the carving I do.

Chuck White

Sounds like you've got a good thing going there Tom, and welcome to the Forestry Forum!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishpharmer

Welcome to forestryforum Tom L.  Its a great place to learn about milling among other things.  The LT28 is a nice mill. Got real close to getting one myself. Keep us posted on your progress.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

ahlkey

Welcome to the Forum.  I did the same thing a few years back and bought a manual mill and then added a trailer and grapple for loading.  One of the better decisions that I made overall.  Good Luck to you.

tcsmpsi

Welcome and congratulations, Tom L!  

Looking forward to hearing and learning more.  Sounds like the set up should work well for you.  

Oh...and certainly, let's not forget the seeing.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Buck

Welcome, and think hard on a clamp and turner. You can do what you say but I think you will get good use out of those items. You have a plan on the loader and it should work well.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Bibbyman

Welcome to the Forum!   8)

Watch out and be careful loading directly onto the mill with any kind of equipment.  The LT28 is a stout mill but dropping a log from 1' or swinging one into it is not good.   :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Tom L

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 16, 2011, 12:56:55 PM
Welcome to the Forum!   8)

Watch out and be careful loading directly onto the mill with any kind of equipment.  The LT28 is a stout mill but dropping a log from 1' or swinging one into it is not good.   :o

great suggestion and thanks for all the well wishes.

I may fabricate a log deck like I see a lot of you experienced guys use, that may help with hitting anything on the mill with a log. possibly make it so the centers of the WM loading ramps rest inside the support beams so nothing can get bashed on the mill.

thanks again.

Tom L

Quote from: Buck on June 16, 2011, 11:31:13 AM
Welcome, and think hard on a clamp and turner. You can do what you say but I think you will get good use out of those items. You have a plan on the loader and it should work well.

thanks buck

one question from the new guy, would you suggest anything that may be better , as far as a clamp or turner like you mentioned, I am as green as you get with mills, I need an explanation if you would
what type of clamp or turner, something mounted to the mill or another rigging tool?

thank you

Bibbyman

If you haven't paged through "Useful Sawmill Mods" then here is the link.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,7789.0.html

A number of guys have added hydraulics to their mills in a number of ways.  The best way would have been to buy an LT35 to start with!  (Maybe not too late? They have them on sale.)
Sawing since '94

Tom L

I shied away for the LT35 trying to keep it simple, I am a steel fabricator by trade and every piece of equipment that I have ever seen that is complicated tends to break alot. the simple one"s seem to last.
so I was thinking to keep it as simple as possible, maybe some day I will realize an error in my judgement,  but all of those hoses and pumps look like a lot of maintenance for a guy just doing this for a hobby

thanks for the link and advice

ahlkey

You will be surprised how nicely the log can be placed on the bed with your knuckleboom grapple.    I also did make modificantions for log turning but I would highly recommend for a manul mill the log turner from Logosol.  It has two alternating rackets where you can rotate some pretty large logs on your bed with ease.

ladylake

Congrats, no worse of a plunge than buying a new car, truck, boat  etc and a way better investment.   I'd fabricate a nice heavy chain turner, 80 or 100 chain.  They're simple to build and work great.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

paul case

welcome.
glad to hear of someone who thinks my way. simpler and less things to go wrong suits me fine. never been afraid of hard work.
congrats on the new equipment. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Slingshot

If you got the log deck package you can replace the manual winch with a
12 volt electric and make log turning a lot easier....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNHVKl11SIU

-----------------------------
Charles sling_shot

beenthere

Good job slingshot.

You didn't even break a sweat. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

trapper

Thanks for the video.  Been turning everything with my logrite but got a big one tomorrow.  I will have to learn how to use the turner.  Dont have an electric winch on mine but at times use a drill to drive the manual winch.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tom L on June 16, 2011, 03:40:06 PM
I shied away for the LT35 trying to keep it simple, I am a steel fabricator by trade and every piece of equipment that I have ever seen that is complicated tends to break alot. the simple one"s seem to last.
so I was thinking to keep it as simple as possible, maybe some day I will realize an error in my judgement,  but all of those hoses and pumps look like a lot of maintenance for a guy just doing this for a hobby

thanks for the link and advice

As you're a metal fabricator,  you should have an idea of how much time it'd take to reinvent the wheel.  And how well your wheel will work compared to a wheel that's been in production and tested for over 20 years.

I just paid $1100.00 to get this pin replace on a loader.  Over $950 was for 9.5 hours of labor. 
Sawing since '94

Slingshot

The winch on my log turner is the 3700 lb Warn. Has good speed and plenty of power
 to roll any log I put on it. I tried a 2000 lb Larin; It would turn a log OK but was way too
 slow.   sling_shot

Here is a large chunk I turned with the winch. No way I could have turned it alone with a
cant hook, but the warn turned it with ease...

Buck

Took me a while to get back to you Tom. Im sure you have the question answered but we all look forward to more and getting to see your progress.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Papa1stuff

Wow Bibby ,I think they must of had a few coffe breaks :o
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Coon

Slingshot, is that a Massey 35 tractor you are showing in the pics?  I know where there is one for sale around here but am wondering how well it would work around a mill?  Looks to be enough lifting power.  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Slingshot

My tractor is a Massey 135 diesel. It does pretty well lifting but I do have to hang some
weight on the rear. A grader box does good and doesn't stick out too far rearward.

Coon

Thanks for the info Slingshot.  This Massey here could be a 135 as well too as it is a diesel as well and looks the same as yours.  How well do the front tires take the weight? I kinda figured you would have to have some extra weight out back. 

Slingshot

The front tires take weight  OK but if the one you are looking at has tubeless tires you may
want to put tubes in them if you buy it. This one had belonged to my father-in-law and it had tubeless
tires when he bought it and he was always blowing the air out of them when he would lift
heavy loads so he tubed them. A great running tractor-has power steering also.

Coon

Sounds good.  I know the thing has a new waterpump on it as I put it on for the owner but it's got a pretty bad fuel leak coming from somewhere near the head at the front of the engine.  I dunno if I will buy it or not cuz I think it's had a pretty hard life.  If I remember correctly he wants something like $3500 for it without a FEL.  Found a Cockshutt 550 w/ FEL in better shape for $2000.  ;)

Tom L

well, spent the extra doe and bought the entire log deck package

it will help out.

the small forwarding trailer I bought still hasn't been delivered, dealer has it local but the machine did not come with any paperwork, so when the paperwork arrives I will be able to finalize the buy and get it registered here. NJ has always been a pain when it comes to voluntarily going to motor vehicle to pay them tax money for doing nothing. the state makes it hard on people to do the right thing. most of the time they reward people for cheating and take the honest guy and give him fits

will post some pics when things start to arrive.

mometal77

I think someday they might charge people and require them to have medical insurance to run a mill. Or prove it before buying one.  Its next to charging for bottled water.

Tom you made a great investment.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Thank You Sponsors!