iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hay elevator converted to wood conveyor, success.

Started by scdaddy7269, June 15, 2011, 10:30:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scdaddy7269

Picked this up last Christmas eve from craigslist for $300, finally had some time to make it into something useful. Fast forward to 2:22 if you can't wait to see it in action. My Dad and I made it over the last week, working on it here and there after work. I am psyched that it is finally done and I can use it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oHx7eBpVIcE

tyb525

I wanted to do that exact thing last winter, never got around to it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

SAWMILL BUDDY

Looks good. Not sure about stacking firewood on the roof though. :D :D

thecfarm

Good idea.This might be a good place for this.
I drove by a wood processor yard. Been by it a few times.He had a manure spreader one that has a chain for solid manure. He put some sawed beams across the short way  to keep it level,maybe one every 3 feet.He had a forwarding trailer there with a loader. He would put the wood on top of these beams,saw up the wood than start the manure spreader up and the wood would go into a conveyor up into a truck.There was a keep out sign so I could not get a good look at it. Thought it was a good idea.Probably the farmer had no use for the spreader. The state has made the big farms go to liquid manure pits.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Al_Smith

That type elevater certainly would work with modifications .

A much better deal is an elevater with a flight chain such as was used not only for bales but ear corn etc. back in the day .Those you don't have to do a thing to . The trick  is finding one with the advent of big round hay bales and combines that shell to corn in the field instead of picking it by the ear .

You see them sitting behind barns or in a fence row rusting away but almost impossible to talk the farmer out of them .

maple flats

Now you can just cut a hole in the roof so wood lands in front of the feed door. What a great idea. Less handling.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

red oaks lumber

ok i have to say it.. where is the guard for the belt and pulley? ;D
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

scdaddy7269

It was missing when we bought it but I have a friend who is going to make me one out of sheet metal, something to cover the motor from weather too.

GF

I like it, I've been looking around for a hay elevator myself to convert but had not had any luck.

GF

zopi

Been searching through stuff like this...thinking of using a hydrostatic drive out of a lawn mower to drive a small elevator...not sure what to use for belting though...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Mooseherder

An electric motor with a chain sprocket works good.
I have 3 of them.  Wish I had a picture to show you but they are in Maine.

zopi

It is more the challenge of scrou.ge building...I have a couple of old mowers...still thinking about it...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Al_Smith

:D Mowers seem to be just about like old chainsaws and stray cats .They just appear like magic and before you know it they are everywhere .

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Al_Smith

:D Well they all worked at some time .I have two riders that do run and I think three that used to hidden in the woods all neat and tidy out of sight except to the squirrels who seem to like to hide their nuts in them .

Now that in itself is no big deal but why in the world they take a liking to chewing on the electrical wires remains a great mystery to me .

DeerMeadowFarm

scdaddy7269

Thanks. I am picking up a gravel conveyor today to do the same thing to it.  Planning on making this one height adjustable and able to use in horizontal position a few feet off the ground.  That is why I am looking for pics of any adjustable hay or grain elevator in my other thread, looking to get some ideas.  Thanks for looking. 
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,56302.0.html

sandhills

JD, Kelly Ryan, and a few others made just what you're looking for.  Not sure where you're located but there is still a lot of them around my part of the country, we have 3 old kelly ryans (they were made more for shelled grain than ear corn or bales though) I could get a picture or two if you need it.

scdaddy7269

That would be greatly appreciated. I searched for a while the other day and found a few useful pics from an old equipment auction listing but any other pics would be very helpful.  Took the motor apart today on the gravel conveyor and fixed the faulty selector lever but also discovered one of the motor starting capacitors was broken.  Drawing up some plans soon and hope to have it done within a month from now.

chipperwam

I have an old case elevator that was made for hay or corn.  All you have to do is fold the sides up and you can run corn or fold them down and run hay.  You can also make a V out of it like you did and run wood up it.  I didn't have to do a thing to it.  Got it cheap at a farm sale.  The only problem is the chain is kind of weak and I break it every now and then.  I guess it was not made to handle the big outside boiler chunks. ;D

DeerMeadowFarm

Well, since I saw this thread I've been looking for one myself. I found this old King Wyse grain/bale/coal elevator for sale. They were asking $200....I paid $60  8)

Ran this right down to my father-in-laws as he recognizes the value of "junk" much better than my wife.  ;)

Stay tuned, I have big plans.....

thecfarm

Looks like your helper is wondering the same thing as your wife.  ;D  I could use one,easier than putting it in the bucket of the tractor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Quote from: thecfarm on April 02, 2012, 06:12:01 PM
Looks like your helper is wondering the same thing as your wife.  ;D 

I pulled into my in-laws house and my MIL came out and said "You were smart not to bring that here and not home...."  ;)

Hey, the steel alone has to be worth the $60!

She'll be awesome when it's done!  :-\

sandhills

I think I heard the cow whisper under her breath "great, there goes another 40' of my grass".   :D  I just caught back up to this and forgot all about taking pictures of ours for scdaddy, sorry about that I'll try to remember the camera today.

scdaddy7269

Been a while, but just recently added new bearings, larger diameter drive pulley for more speed and safety covers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6ExO69vGZs

OneWithWood

Looking good.  My elevator sits in the grass rusting away.  Maybe someday I will resurrect it, or scrap it.  It is just a corn elevator, not a hay elevator.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!