iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying a shipping container??

Started by Brad_bb, June 15, 2011, 09:46:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm curious, I've seen people that have shipping containers.  How much do they cost on the used market?  Do they sell insulated ones?  I have barn space for buying a new mill, but It's gravel floor and readily accessible by mice etc.  I'd like to protect a new mill.  Just curious.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Raider Bill

I paid $1200 delivered for  a 40' double door box out of Cleveland Tn.

They are only 8'ft wide I'd think that was too narrow to mill. You could get a couple and weld them side by side.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

scsmith42

Brad, I have several shipping containers, but insulated and non insulated, and there is no way that I'd want to operate a sawmill inside of one.  They are not wide enough, and the noise and dust would be a dangerous combination.

My mill is outside and mice, etc have not been a problem. 

How about getting a couple of barn cat's instead?  ;D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Brad_bb

No, not to mill inside, just to store when not in use and keep the mice out, and control temp/moisture to keep the mill in good shape. 
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

scsmith42

ok - that would be a great choice then, as the containers are very secure.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

sprucebunny

I'd like to get a couple of containers this summer but I heard the price went up as many have been sent to Japan for people to live in. Anyone else hear that ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Jasperfield

One of my brothers sells containers. And, yes, the prices have increased substantially over the last quarter primarily due to the price of steel.

Brucer

Several businesses around here set up two parallel containers and build a roof between them. Containers are stackable and one outfit has two pairs of 40 footers that are 30 feet apart with a truss roof between them.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Magicman

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

D Hagens

I've welded them together, stacked them on top of each other, pretty much used them for whatever a customer wants them for. They go pretty cheap around and there's lots of them. :)

Thank You Sponsors!