iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new guy looking for an opinion

Started by Tom L, June 15, 2011, 09:00:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom L

two years ago I built a walk in cooler for hanging meat during the fall and to use as a part time fridge for parties during the summer

I am just starting to cut my own boards for some carving projects I do around the house.

the cooler is very air tight, 4" of hard insulation on all 4 sides including the floor and roof.  tile floor and walls , plywood covering the insulation

I was thinking last night to possibly turn it into a dehumidification kiln during the summer months.
to get a dual use out of the box when not in use.

running a small electric heater in the enclosure during the day like an oil filled radiator type  and then running a dehumidifier all night.

the wood will be white pine and cedar.

do you think this will work? and any info on time to dry if I can get the internal temp over 100 degrees during the day. my boards are 2" and 2-1/2" thick

thanks for the help

Den Socling

Just run a dehumidifier. The compressor will supply the heat. In fact, you may need to vent to avoid over heating. And you should have a fan circulating the air. How long? too many variables.

Tom L

thanks for the reply

I do have a hatch in the ceiling that I could use to vent , and also have a thermometer hooked up
to an outside meter so I can monitor the temp with out opening the door

in your opinion what would be a good temperature to try to hold the wood at?

and would running the dehumidifier all the time be preferred , or should it be shut off for periods of time.

please bear with me with all the questions, I am excited that I may have something already built
that I could use as a duel purpose.

Den Socling

Now this is just a guess because we don't know the size of the compressor but you might just leave the DH run and let the temperature be whatever. It's not like you're drying white oak.

Thank You Sponsors!