iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Your getting worse... What do you think?

Started by Shotgun, June 13, 2011, 08:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shotgun

::)

Your, you are, you're

I see this misuse getting pretty bad these days in our world.

The word you're is a contraction for the words you are.

The word your is a word to describe something that belongs to you.

Your is not a substitute for you are and you're, or vise versa.

Words have meanings.  Just saying...

Okay, the subject is wrong.      ;)

Norm

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

nas

What about there, their and they're  ???

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Shotgun

Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Tom

I know the differences but, I swear, sometimes I think my fingers aren't attached to my brain and I'm thinking way ahead of what I type.   There's been a many a time when I used the modify button to go back and correct an embarrassing misspelling that I never should have let go through.  Some of the problems are transposition.  I'm on the verge of blaming the computer.  :D

isawlogs

Blaming the computer  ::)   I am blaming you guys for my great spelling ;D :D :D       
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Dan_Shade

You've stumbled onto a pet peeve of mine, Norm!

yet, I stumble into the same problem Tom has sometimes.

and yes I did notice the mistake in the subject before reading it!  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

pigman

Yes Norm, I am getting worse with the use of the English language. The English  language is just to  two   too complicated for me to comprehend.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

i, use, too, many, commas, and ellipsis...

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Jasperfield

sale & sell, then & than, too & to, there & their,...

Mooseherder

You'd get more compliance if they'd know'd da ground rules.
We'd of known better. ;D

T.J.

pigman

Y'all is a perfectly good Southern word. 8)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Dan_Shade

I was watching "Troy" yesterday, and I caught a great quote which pretty much sums it all up:

"I thought you were a dumb brute. It would have been easier to forgive a dumb brute!" - Briseis

Mooseherder

Brad_S.

You forgot the way most kids under 25 spell it: ur. ::)

Other misused spellings:

weather/whether
witch/which
pitcher/picture
latter/ladder

Read Craigslist "for sale" ads to get a reality check on the state of the average American's ability to use write. Me included!
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

red oaks lumber

i for one am not in school anymore, if you don't like how i   typed or spelled to bad, i don't make a living spelling or typing  :P
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

mrcaptainbob

"They dived into the cold water".  ?? I thought the past tense was 'dove'.

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Coon

tyb, I beg to differ on that. "Alot" is in the dictionary we have here at the house.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

tyb525

"Perhaps this common spelling error began because there does exist in English a word spelled "allot" which is a verb meaning to apportion or grant. The correct form, with "a" and "lot" separated by a space is perhaps not often encountered in print because formal writers usually use other expressions such as "a great deal," "often," etc."

Alot may be in the dictionary, but it is slang, just like other slang words are in some dictionaries..
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DouginUtah

Quote from: mrcaptainbob on June 13, 2011, 11:36:15 PM
"They dived into the cold water".  ?? I thought the past tense was 'dove'.

USAGE NOTE   Either dove or dived is acceptable as the past tense of dive. Usage preferences show regional distribution, although both forms are heard throughout the United States. According to the Dictionary of American Regional English, in the North, dove is more prevalent; in the South Midland, dived.

Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/dive-10#ixzz1PDo9DZbt
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

chet

I don't no what da heck youse guys ar talk'n 'bout.  ???
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Brucer

About 35 years ago I was driving through a major city in Ontario and found myself behind a delivery truck that was operated by the region's biggest appliance distributer. There was a sign written on the back of the truck in very, very large letters:

"Your following a leader."

Obviously I wasn't following a speller ;D.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

jim king

After working in different areas and trying to speak and write various languages I don´t have the nerve to criticize any ones  spelling or speaking ability.  I have made a fool of myself many times and still prefer to have someone proof read my letters in other languages or for that matter English.  When you drop into a new language area you understand how difficult life must be for people who have never been to school.

Banjo picker

Quote from: red oaks lumber on June 13, 2011, 10:53:00 PM
i for one am not in school anymore, if you don't like how i   typed or spelled to bad, i don't make a living spelling or typing  :P

Amen.   Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Thank You Sponsors!