iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

You'd think customer service would get better in this economy!

Started by Brad_bb, June 13, 2011, 10:42:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Seems it's worse and getting even worse.  Just in the last few months:
-Local engine machine shop has had my engine for 6 months and still hasn't done the work, doesn't care, didn't return my last call.
-Local new Holland/bush hog dealer apparently didn't want my business as I was trying to buy a new bush hog.  Salesman told me that the salesman for the bush hog equipment wasn't in, but that he'd give me a call.  8 weeks later called, too late, I already bought one somewhere else.  I sent the owner a letter regarding the details of my poor experience.  No reply.
-Called and talked with a local salesperson at the car dealer.  I was interested in a certain model and special order.  Sales person was supposed to get back to me on it.  Never did.
-Internet tractor parts dealer, sent me wrong parts.  I call and wait on automated hold forever, then parts guy transfers me to person who handles internet sales, get voicemail. 3 days goes by and finally get return message.  I call back and get voicemail again.  I ask to be transferred to the manager, I'm transferred to their voicemail.
The list goes on and it seems almost no one I interact with gives a rip about my business or customer service.
I did look at ford trucks, and that sales guy has called me back.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Raider Bill

And the list goes on......

I'm buying a pair of West Coast Boots. Custom made. I have sent them 4 emails and left 2 voice mails but no return calls from them.
The Attorney working on Dad's estate doesn't seem to return calls either.

It's frustrating 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SPIKER

Last week I got 2 calls back from a saleman who was concerned that I had given them some poor feedback/comments on their on-line form for the company HQ.   Gee I had called them & asked for quotes about 6 times I never heard back even YET after the salemen called wanting to know why I rated them poor :D  go figure...  lol

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Coon

... And it surely doesn't help that these sales persons have no idea about the things they sell....  ::)  Geesh a trained monkey could and would do better.   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

D Hagens

I'm finding that conducting business through online purchases, dealing with people on the phone and through e-mail is becoming a bit of a joke. My thoughts are that there's so many people sitting behind their computers asking stupid questions and complaining about this that and the other that the customer service people get over whelmed and their so caught up in the online thing that they forget about the customer in real life.
Now when I need something I do it the way we used to do things, I go straight to the store and deal with a real person.
I find that the service is way better and I get to see and touch what it is that I'm buying and I walk out of that 100% happy :)

Patty

I had the same bad customer service experience myself recently. Called a plumber to come bid a job back in April. He finally showed up in May to bid the job. I told him to "get 'er done". He said he would come right back to do the job......I haven't seen him since. He doesn't even return calls! Obviously he is making way too much money.

Last week I hired a new plumber to do the job, and he was here and done within the week. Yes, he did have to reschedule once, but he still showed up in a timely matter.  The only thing I can figure is the first guy is old (about my age) and maybe doesn't need the money so much. The second guy was real young, around 30 or so, and seemed pretty hungry for work.  Before you know it, the young guy will be eaten the old guy's lunch!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Autocar

Ive been facing the same problems from companys on my skidder. I give them my cell number so I won't miss there calls and they never call ! The day may come when I want to order a new skidder [ well if I win the lottery ]  :D and I am going to call these companys and tell them I wouldn't buy a new skidder from them because there service sucked !
Bill

Norm

By the way the plumber charged $70 per hour. How many college graduates are making that kind of money?

red oaks lumber

for starters why living in america do i have to "press 1 for english"? customer sevice stinks >:( the best plan on a buisness plan return calls  ;)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Woodwalker

I get the same responses as the rest of you from what seams to be a large number of vendors I deal with.
When I do find someone that makes some sort of effort to provide a level of customer service I do make a point of becoming a returning customer.

Just cause your head's pointed, don't mean you are sharp.

nas

I went to pick up a chainsaw at the local Husky dealer and the guy behind the counter was eating crackers as he talked to me ::)  His language also left something to be desired.  That was after waiting 2 months after which I had to call them to find out my saw was ready.  I won't be going back there.  I'm also looking for a new tractor.  Do you think the sales guys would call me back when they say they will?  None have yet.  The first one that does might just have the easiest sale of his life.  How hard is it to call or email when you say you will? ???

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Brucer

On the other hand ...

- I called Bailey's with a question. The person who could answer it wasn't available. The person I spoke to called me back 2 hours later -- she'd got me the answer I needed.

- My wife ordered two items from WR packaging in Calgary. They arrive broken. I phoned the company (Barb was out of town) and they promptly sent me replacements. "When you have a chance, please send us a picture of the damaged items so we can figure out how to package them better."

- I wanted to order some appliance parts from PartSelect -- an online parts site. Most of the parts have detailed pictures, but the one I was interested in didn't. I phoned for more information and the woman who answered fetched a part from the warehouse and described it to me.

- Lee Valley tools of Ottawa always replies, always follows up, and has a money-back guarantee that includes shipping costs both ways.

These are all successful businesses that see excellent customer service as a competitive advantage. I try to do the same.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Cedarman

If you truly give good customer service you will have people begging to give you money.  They will very seldom quible on price.  To me good customer service is do your best to solve a customer's problem in the quickest and most efficient manner possible. 
Make a written to do list of all the promises you make.  DO NOT trust your memory.  Keep your customers informed.  If you have a delay, suck it up and let them know.  This gives them the opportunity to implement their plan "B".

For me since 1983 the epitome of good service is Woodmizer.

And then there is the trucking company that has a person whose job is to never give the customer a break and do everything possible to get the highest rate possible. They reclass up at every chance possible.This is after shipping at a certain class for many years.  All of the sudden I have 5 shipments reclassed up. Even my freight broker has blacklisted them.  The company is either going bankrupt or will soon go out of business. I am watching to see if my hunch is correct.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Kansas

Everything cedarman said.
We rarely have a complaint. But sometimes something does happen. Best line to use "what can I do to make it right for you"

Taylortractornut

It gets worse called JD needing a transmission pump regulator block rebuild kit or  unit.       2 days later we get a call that they can get one used in TX as Deere no longer support the  machine after 2010.       I hate calling parts at work so many times when you leave a message it wont get returned.   About 3 years ago  the man that does our tires at work  got  to not returning calls or not even showing up.  We  quit him about a year and now went we call hes right there. 

Wife called the insurance company  she uses to drop full coverage on her Ranger to put it on the new van.     Her old agent died and office workers dont  do anything but answer the phones.   Shes called the new  temp officer there and still no answer 4 days later.
My overload permit starts after sunset

sandhills

I have a huge gripe with one company I've been dealing with for about 9 months now.  They installed new windows for our tenants last fall and were to put on new siding as well.  The weather got bad and that delayed siding the house until this spring, this I can understand, but come spring all the windows leaked if the wind was blowing from the right direction, they came and fixed that and said the siding was on the way.  They sourced out the siding job to someone else (trying to get caught up I suppose) and he was at it for 3 weeks leaving a very nice mess behind him, told the tenants it was the hardest house he'd ever done.  I wish I had pictures of this house, it would give everyone a good chuckle.
The man living in the house was suffering from terminal cancer and by this time on hospice care, and of last Sunday morning is now deceased.  He and his family have farmed ground of ours for many years and plus I've worked a different job alongside of him for probably 12 years, my wife and I went to visit him the day before he passed and saw the mess that was being left from the contractor, we had been to see him about 2 weeks prior and weren't ready for the change in his condition over such a short time so I guess we left in a state of shock, I still feel terrible that we didn't go get my truck that day and take care of the mess.  The next day after we got the news he'd passed on we went out and started cleaning up, as many of you know in small communities neighbors showed up regularly and all pitched in, it took a couple hours to pick it up because a storm went through 2 nights before and had it scattered everywhere.  Being Sunday the buisiness wasn't open so I left them a VERY clear message on how I felt and followed it up with a phone call Monday morning stating the man they hired was absolutely not to be out that week, he showed up the morning of the funeral, drug all siding and tools we put in the barn back out and started working, the widow told my wife and I this after the funeral.  Folks I couldn't get to my phone fast enough, and he was gone before the family got back home.  Oh by the way, I promise you won't be getting my phone number for any recommendations for them.

SwampDonkey

When I go to get saw parts, I just take my parts book and stand over the guy. The reason I believe it's starting to get slack with the customer service is that most of the time we work on our own saws and saw sales are way down. I know two dealers have had to take on school bus driving jobs, the shop has become a hobby. There just isn't the demand for saws as it was 10 years ago. Those shops are owned and not rented space, been paid for.

Not so much customer service as it is price and quality, I just buy all my wood working screws and hand tools from Lee Valley. Save a fortune.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Papa1stuff

I had a couple of 1 gal sprayers (10.00 from Wally  World) and both of the spray controls quit working ,I deceided to call the Manufacturer .I told them the problem ,gave them the model # and the lady said they would send me two new ones ,No charge ,didn't believe that ,but about a week later got them in the mail,so some companies do care!! smiley_clapping smiley_clapping
1987 PB Grader with forks added to bucket
2--2008 455 Rancher Husky
WM CBN Sharpener & Setter

Brad_bb

Similarly, I have to give props to Blitz company.  I have 5, 5gallon fuel jugs, and the vent caps all broke off and disappeared over time.  Called them with the model number and they sent replacements free of charge.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Shotgun

I'm a knife collector.  Some time ago my wife bought me two knives at an estate sale.  One was a no-name and one was a Buck  Knife. She paid a couple of bucks for the two of them.  The Buck had been severely mistreated, and two of the three blades had tips broken off.  I was going to reshape them and sharpen them, and had, in fact, started to do so.  Then I thought that it might be better to send it back to the factory to have it done professionally. I called Buck Knife and the customer service lady suggested that I send it to them for a look see. 

Bottom line, they sent me a brand new knife, same model, and for no cost.  They said that it was done under their warranty.  To me that's amazing in this day and time.    I am  ;D.

My collecting focuses on Case brand knives (Case Collectors Club Life Member), but you can be assured  that I won't forget what this firm has done for me.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

SPIKER

I had emailed Locktight corp about some superglue plastic repair product I bought that was hard in the tube.   a couple weeks later some goodies arrived nice letter & replacement materials...   and I still have not gotten a chance to fix the interior fridge door that I had bought it for.    ::)   I had it all ready fridge cleaned up & warmed up in the area and opened the repair to find it dried up.  so then I have not gotten to clean out & warm up the thing to try it again.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

SwampDonkey

When fixing my 16 year old planer, I tried to get the local electric motor shop to order in the parts. Every time I called about them, they never heard tell of me before. I emailed the company and got in contact with a nice lady and I had my parts in a week direct from them.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!