iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

When is the best time of year to buy a tractor?

Started by Logginsteve, June 10, 2011, 12:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Norm

I was only kidding about buy the John Deere. Now I'll admit it's the only color allowed on our farm but really don't care what the neighbor runs.  :)

Nothing better than a new tractor no matter what you decide to buy.  :)

Larry

Try one out to see if ya like it first.  I was in the market for a 50 hp tractor.  I tried two and found neither one would pick up the big logs with a FEL.  In fact the orange one did good to pick up just a slightly bigger log than my old 1720 blue Ford. :o  The green one sure was purty. ;D

I think an 80 to 100 hp could handle those logs...but I would look silly mowin my little bit of grass with one.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Peter Drouin

Ya, I know Norm.. But anytime IS a good time to buy a John Deere. Just trying to get people to look at the green machine too. I don't know why it is, but everytime I try to promote American products people jump all over me. I don't get it. But you're right the neighbor can run whatever he wants. Nuff said.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Logginsteve

Peter, I think it's your presentation and understanding of the facts.  As others have said, many John Deere tractors are made outside of the US.  Parts are also made outside of the US.  So if you buy a John Deere tractor your money might also go outside of the US.  It's fine to promote and suggest someone "buy American", but if you do that you should be careful to make sure you really are suggesting that.  And in the process don't try to make your case by implying that foreign made is inferior (especially if you're suggesting a foreign made product yourself ;)).  And some of the "foreign" brands are actually made in the US by US workers.  Don't forget that too.

I'm pretty sure I'm going with a Kubota 3240 with some extras.  I'm going to double check John Deere just in case, but so far it doesn't look good for the Green.

Steve

nas

Steve, don't forget to look at the JD 5045.  It is a little bigger than the others you are looking at, but sometimes a small utility tractor is cheaper than a large compact, and the loaders have a lot more capacity.  Also as others have said, check the cash price.  Sometimes if you can get a cheap loan elsewhere, you can save money, and if you pay off the loan quicker, you will save more.

Peter, I just think equating Kubota with chinese junk, is like saying BMW is like Lada, just because they are made on the same continent.  I too am looking for a tractor, and JD is high on my list, but it will probably come down to who gives the best customer service.  So far I haven't been impressed with anyone in that department.  It's like pulling teeth to get a dealer to sell me a tractor! ???

Nick

Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

oldbones

Quote from: nas on June 13, 2011, 08:18:44 PM
Steve, don't forget to look at the JD 5045.  It is a little bigger than the others you are looking at, but sometimes a small utility tractor is cheaper than a large compact, and the loaders have a lot more capacity. 

good advice. i just got a jd 5055. the 5045/55 is a far more substantial--heavier and more heavily built--machine than most of the 30ish hp compacts. if you're going to be pulling bigger logs, you may be pleased by the machine's broader shoulders.

the tractor is made in india, which is neither a good or a bad thing. it is simply the way the world economy works.

Logginsteve

Hi Nick,

The 5045 appears to be 2WD only with no hydrostatic drive option?  That nixes it for me right there.  And JD makes it VERY hard to tell which models come with skid steer attachment points vs. fixed.  In fact, I find JD's website less clear in general than the Kubota website, which is damned confusing!

To cover my bases I'm going to price out a JD 3320 through a local dealer and see how that goes.  It's the closest to the Kubota 3240, including the fact that the JD 3320 is made in Japan :D  But looking at the list pricing on JD's website vs. Kubota's, the Kubota appears to be less expensive with all things considered.

Back to the financing issue.  Here's how the final price paid after 5 years looks with a $30,000 purchase:

6% credit union loan = $39,000 (assumes no money down, which I doubt possible)
4% Home line of credit = $36,000
4% interest loss on cash = $36,000
Kubota 0% financing = $30,000

So unless the dealer is willing to shave off MORE than 20% than he would a financed purchase, the 0% financing is clearly the best option since it's unlikely that a dealer would go that far just for some cash on the table.  Especially if the tractor I want isn't sitting on their lot already.

This also shows why buying used isn't such a great deal right now unless you're getting something at a firesale price.  A $22,000 used tractor, for example, would cost around $26,600 with even the least expensive form of financing vs. the $30,000 new tractor at 0% (also with new attachments and warrantee).  That's a mighty small margin for even a really good used tractor.  When 0% financing goes away used tractors will once again have a clear price advantage.

Steve

oldbones

i believe the 5045e is the 4 wd version.

the kubota weighs about 3700 pounds. the jd about 5000. that's 33% more machine, perhaps more than you need.

Logginsteve

Yeah, way more than I need :D  In fact, size is not necessarily a good thing for me.  My trails are kept purposefully narrow and not necessarily straight, so I have to look carefully at maneuverability.  JD's appear to have a slightly longer turning radius than Kubotas of roughly the same size (not very significant, though).  But stepping up a bit more would probably result in a noticeable reduction in "nimbleness".  Not a problem when I'm moving logs around onto a mill or grading my driveway, but neither do I need a tractor with that HP and weight for those tasks.  Then there's the money thing... I'm already scraping the top of my budget to get what I want, so going higher up still on the tractor isn't something I want to do.  JD's website didn't list the "e" version and the 2WD was already significantly more money when all was said and done.

Steve

Logginsteve

Oh, and IIRC the dealer said that with filled tires and the loader total weight would come in just under 6000 pounds.  That's about double what I have for a vehicle now with my Bombardier.

Steve

thecfarm

Look at where the hyd filter is and the hookup for the loader are on that JD. At one time they was real low just looking to hit a rock or a high stump. Some even had them fuel tank kinda low too. Some guy at work has one of those. Snapped the filter off one and his SIL did it too. Fine for yard work,but in the woods is bad. Some come with something around the valve stem. Try to get them to weld something around the stems. If 4ply try for at least 6 ply,8 are better in the woods.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Logginsteve

Argh.  I used the wrong type of interest calculator.  For anybody that cares...

Here's how the final price paid after 5 years looks with a $30,000 purchase:

6% credit union loan = $34,600 (assumes no money down, which I doubt possible)
4% Home line of credit = $33,000
4% interest loss on cash = $33,000
Kubota 0% financing = $30,000

Which means the dealer has to knock off 10% for cash before it's even with 0% financing.  I doubt he'd do that, not to mention going even lower.  Plus, I have a couple more attachments I'm looking to buy that can't be covered under this 0% deal so I don't want to stress out my existing cash/credit.

Steve

red oaks lumber

hey i bleed green ;D any more what is made in america? my opinion far as a "woods" tractor with a fel don't buy new. the best old woods tractor is a j.d. 4010 or 4020 with fel you can buy them for 5-10 grand. parts are still available and the units are tough. i have some loggin to do and my smallest tractor is a 6410  4wd fel,,   man that thing is clumsy in the woods, have to make trails so wide just to get thru.good luck with your purchase
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Ed_K

It all come's down to after sale service.I couldn't deal with JD/Kabota dealer,so I bought a landini from a Massey dealer who is now out of business.Now my closest parts are in N.Y. Service is it.
Ed K

bill m

NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Thank You Sponsors!