iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Doyle, Scribner, International

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, June 09, 2011, 06:19:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Everyone where I live uses the International Rule. When do you use the Doyle or the Scribner?

I had a customer who wanted his lumber sawed using the Doyle. I told him I used the International Rule. He got a little upset and I told him he could take it some where else.

He had 4 Loblolly pines 24d x 12L.

I was just wondering when and if the other rules are used?

Thanks, David
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Bibbyman

Everyone I know around here uses Doyle.  Can't tell you why.  Just the way it's always been.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

DouginUtah

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 09, 2011, 06:19:00 PM

Doyle = 300
International = 320
Scribner = 300
X4

???
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

beenthere

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 09, 2011, 06:19:00 PM
Everyone where I live uses the International Rule. When do you use the Doyle or the Scribner?

I had a customer who wanted his lumber sawed using the Doyle. I told him I used the International Rule. He got a little upset and I told him he could take it some where else.

I was just wondering when and if the other rules are used?

Thanks, David

Don't think the sawing of the log has anything to do with the scale/rule used to estimate the volume in the log in bdft.
That scale/rule is an estimate to buy/sell/trade logs (like a dozen eggs or a quart of milk) albeit not as precise.

Could easily scale the customers logs either way, and would have nothing to do with the charge per bdft actually sawed out of the logs. Only if the customer said he would pay for the sawing based on the estimate from the Doyle rule, would it have any effect compared to using the Int'l rule.  IMO

The Int'l rule is a more accurate estimate of the yield in bdft of a log. The Doyle rule is used by mills to purchase logs because it underestimates the yield in bdft for smaller logs. Arguments that say either rule is okay as the log price per bdft of a log gets adjusted up or down by the buyer/seller agreement.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

I gotta wonder along with beenthere.  Log rules are for estimating the footage in the log, not for measuring the volume of lumber cut on the mill.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

Quote from: Bibbyman on June 09, 2011, 06:25:36 PM
Everyone I know around here uses Doyle.  Can't tell you why.  Just the way it's always been.
here too. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!