iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chains and cold shuts

Started by kelLOGg, June 08, 2011, 04:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelLOGg

I have a couple of 5/16 and 3/8 chain lengths joined with cold shuts (welded shut) which I use for rolling logs onto a trailer and sawmill and related pulling and rolling operations. I probably never put more than 1000# (2500# tops beacuse that is winch max) of pulling force on them. I've never had one break in 20+ years. Now I need more cold shuts and when I google them I learn that they are only for temporary repair because they are mild steel. That surprises me - they close with great difficulty, requiring a hefty vise to squeeze one shut. That's mild steel!?:confused: I've also had good luck welding links together - never a failure. What's better a cold shut (welded) or directly welding links together? I'm reluctant to use the bona fide chain links because the cotter pins holding the links in can easily get damaged in dragging.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

sealark37

I have never had much luck with cold shuts, welded or not.  Since I do not use my chains where a failure will cause damage, and I secure loads with redundant chains or straps, a cut and welded link has always sufficed.  The chains I have broken have been due to shock loads, when a slack chain was jerked taunt by a load.  I have broken links, bent hooks, and sprung binders, but I have never broken a link that I have welded.  I use 3/32"   E7014 rods.  Just my experience.  Regards, Clark

snowstorm

found a place that has cold shuts 3/16 to 5/8       try hamilton marine.com

shelbycharger400

i been around step dad pullin and dropin trees cince i was little.. from the farm and on.. .cold shuts just dont work and will let go when you least expect them.   cut the link and weld them,  or best yet is to put in a hook and pin, use a nail not cotter pin, and yes the old bent nail never fails  :D  just bend it in a z and clip it.  i know personally its a real pta climbing a 25 ft ladder movin in the wind tryin to haul up a 16 ft 3/8 log chain and wrap it round a tree  sometimes a short choker around 6 to 8 ft is real handy.

LeeB

http://www.gearench.com/products/x86-connecting-link.asp

Find one of these somewhere. You will likely never have to worry about it breaking on you.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

indiaxman1

Had welded link break dragging white oak log last week...resorted to barge rope (actually leaving line) found on Ohio R bank years ago....realize this was not original purpose of this rope...but have drug/towed numerous logs (and vehicles) with it..have often wondered it other loggers have used similar method....it stretches and is somewhat frayed after all these years, but has never failed me

two tired

leeb we used them in the oilfeild a lot, worked great, can not ever rembering them breaking.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

LeeB

That's where I used them too. We don't use chains much any more, so haven't seen any for a good while.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

beenthere

Quote from: indiaxman1 on June 13, 2011, 03:40:49 PM
.....have often wondered it other loggers have used similar method....it stretches and is somewhat frayed after all these years, but has never failed me

Anything that stretches and then fails will be a flying missile, and not very safe in either direction. Hope that doesn't happen for you. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

kelLOGg

I decided to weld them. Overlapped 2 links leaving enough space for flexibility and put a continuous bead around the contact area. I plan using them in rolling logs onto a trailer.
Those Petol links look pretty cool but a bit pricey at $21 at Total Industrial Supply.

Thanks for the replies,
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Thank You Sponsors!