iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Governmental control on private land?

Started by Lucas P, June 06, 2011, 09:37:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lucas P

Are there any quotas imposed by governments on timber located in private land?

Texas Ranger

If you have signed up for government programs, there may be.  Other than that, it is all market driven.   And it could very well vary from state to state.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jim king

QuoteAre there any quotas imposed by governments on timber located in private land?

We have control on private property logging here and it was pushed thru the government and financed by the US Govt and the WWF.  Get ready.  Just a matter of time.

KBforester

If you signed up for timber related benefits/programs, you may be, depending on the program. Otherwise there shouldn't be any.

Trees are good.

beenthere

Some of the early Gov't controls on private land were on private ownership of redwoods in CA. The cutting of redwood was handled through commissions set up to give permission.  Some pretty scary stories of Gov't control came out of those rules. Commisioners were of the ilk than no cutting at all was the way to manage the redwood forests.

Other subtle rules creep into new laws (one that nearly made it into a zoning and planning document was a short paragraph that permit would be required to do any cutting, pruning, trimming of any tree if more than five acres was owned (not more than five acres cut).
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kansas

Only thing I know out here, and don't take this as gospel, is that I believe wetland area designated trees have to be cut down and not dozed out. They do have programs where you turn control over to the government for habitat and riparian buffer zones. But that is voluntary. I never really thought about it, but I guess that is something when we send a logger in that we need to ask the landowner. So far, never had issues.

woodtroll

Depends, and what do you mean by quota.
Amount of forest land, volume cut?
Here in WY we have a area minimum for stewardship plans.
As far as regulations on private, none imposed by state forestry.
BMP's are voluntary, volume is how ever much you think is best. We will offer input, or advice but it is up to the landowner to
follow it.
Other states gain control through tax programs. Get in a forestry program to insure lower tax assessments. Then you need to follow that program.
It is very easy to lose control of your property.

Sprucegum

I believe our gov. has control of all riparian zones which is (Ithink) 300 feet from any water.

sjfarkas

In CA government controls everything! :'(  It generally costs $10-15k to do a harvest plan.  If you want to cut trees to build anything on the ground you have to do a conversion plan and a RPF generally charges $1k for one of those. 
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Thank You Sponsors!