iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

International S9b Skidder

Started by acco1840, June 06, 2011, 04:25:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

acco1840

Am looking at an IH S9B skidder that a mate has for sale. Only ever used for a weekend firewood machine, It is for sale. It has a Gearmatic winch (yuck), Turbo 6 cylinder IH diesel, original shiny paint and decals, new tyres and 2 spares and had had a fair bit of work on the motor. He's asking $10000 Australian, and I'm not sure, as I'm a Caterpillar fan (Started on a 1979 518 cable at 13) and there is a rough 518 for $12000. What do you think?

Wombat

G'day acco. I bought an S-9B six months ago out of Victoria, in average but well maintained condition, except for the winch (yeah, yuck). With some winch modifications including conversion to hydraulic drive and a few patched up cracks it's been working lightly for a couple of weeks. Still sorting minor things out but very happy with the work capacity and fuel consumption. My main concern is spare parts, so far so good. Most winch and engine parts are available, transmission and axles apparently common to Hough H65  loaders. I have parts manuals but not the exact model service manual. Any info or tips to keep the old girl going would be much appreciated. I shelled out nearly $14000 + freight, with 40% rubber so to me $10000 sounds good buying, especially with that inside knowledge of its history.

lumberjack48

I bought a new S8 in 79, it had the turbo 6, it burned 30 to 40 gals of fuel a day, she was a thirsty one.
The Funk auto is a good tran, but you can have a lot of linkage problems with them, if shift lever is on dash panel.

The Gearmatic 119 or 20 are good winches, worked with one 30yrs.

A good C5-D would be twice the skidder for up keep and operation cost, used both side by side for 30 yrs.

My thoughts 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

acco1840

Thanks for your input. Wombat: what size tyres is yours running? this one has 18.4 x 28's. And I have been told that the S9A had a Carco hydraulic controled winch. Maybe this would be a beeter option than the gearmatic.

Wombat

I've got 23.1 X 26ers. Pretty good traction with 40% lug. I'm doing more stick rake work than snigging so I can put up with my slow winch setup, plenty of power just slow. I've resurrected the winch brake, pretty simple, but the clutch was beyond it so I locked it up to the spool and drive the winch with a 250 cc hydraulic motor. Preston Parts on the Gold Coast import Gearmatic Parts. I'm chasing a copy of the S-9B service manual and am happy to pay for purchase or copying costs. I have the S-9A service manual with Carco winch section if it's any use. I'd be happy to talk to other S-9B owners. We might be able to get each other out of trouble in the future.
Cheers.

acco1840

I have the same problem mate!! Got the S9A book, No B sadly. Will definatly keep in contact.

Doppelganger

the gearmatic winch can be modified easy.  this will restore the pulling performance to like new if not better.

If rest of mechanicals look OK looks good for the price.

acco1840

Quote from: Doppelganger on June 29, 2011, 04:22:48 AM
the gearmatic winch can be modified easy.  this will restore the pulling performance to like new if not better.

If rest of mechanicals look OK looks good for the price.

sounds good to me mate. how?

Doppelganger

Hi.

Your winch should have a mechanical clutch.

The clutch will have a primary and secondary clutch.  This is two separate bands were the primary band gives more pressure on the secondary to give the driving force.

There is a pin and bush system that wears and this stops the pressure to make the drive.

Due to the long ago modification 20 + years I cant remember if there is a outer bush as well as an inner.

Due to the pin and bush wearing what we did was to take the slack out of the bush. Just built up the bush so the pin was a good fit.  One needs to look were the greatest wear has occurred and remove that wear. 

I think this is called restoring the winch, may be not what some would say is rough and crude, but getting this done just prolong a need to make great modification.

If I can get a photo of the clutch pin part may be able to give more directions to get it right.  Its ome thing doing this it different trying to explane it.

acco1840

Made up my mind. Mate who has S9 has bit me for $1100. Am buying the Caterpillar 518.

Thank You Sponsors!