iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Edger Problems and my Handy Man

Started by Linda, January 04, 2004, 07:29:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Linda

The other day I was edging walnut and all of the sudden my edger bogged so hard and fast I didn't have time to stop the feed belt before the electric motor stalled!  :o

Walnut isn't the type of lumber one would expect to bog it to a stand still.  I couldn't figure out what had happened.  Nothing seemed to be stuck like I thought it might be, so ElectricAl comes over to the rescue.  It didn't seem to be anything I could help with, so I went out to stack firewood and feed the fire while he checked it out.  :-[

After awhile I heard the edger start back up.  As the blade just began to make a cut, the edger came to an abrupt halt, again.  I thought "Oh man, I've done it now!  I broke my edger!"  :'(

I went back into the shop and helped him get the board back out.  He needed some time to think and check it out, so I found some other busy work to do in the office.  Before too long I heard my edger start humming and then singing like a bird when another board went through.  8)

I went back over and Al says, "Remember that clunk right before it bogged to a stop?  Well, somehow it threw a chunk of wood into the blade and bent the blade a quarter of an inch!" :o  Oops!  ;D

Good thing it didn't hit me in the head!   :-/  I guess all those safety features are there for a reason!   ::)

I guess thats one handy man I'll keep around!  ;)

Linda  :)
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

ARKANSAWYER

Well if he gets tired of you just come on down South as it is warmer down here any way. ;D ;D
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Linda

I'm packing my bags, be down Monday!  Don't s'pose ya'll have any timberland for sale...say 1000 acres or so?  ;)

:D  :D  :D  :D

D._Frederick

Is you edger blade the split blade type? Was you able to straighten the blade and if so what did you do?

Linda - How is your Mother doing, is she getting any more movement back?

Norm

That Al's ok, I don't care what the rest of you guys and gals say about him.  ;D

Dang it Arky I was going to try to tempt Linda over to Bangor with my homemade lasgna. Apparently Mary was able to resist OR Bibby never told her about my offer.

Linda it's not any warmer here but you wouldn't have to work in that hot old enclosed building. And when the wind is out of the south you get to enjoy my 6 thousand neighbors. How's that song go again corn, corn corn there's that smell again.

Linda

D_Frederick,

Yes, our edger has split strobe 10" blades.  Yes, Al was able to bend the tooth and plate back with a crescent wrench.  :)  Although the carbide is missing from the strobe section now.  :-/   I stood well off to the side the first board I ran back through.  ;)  It was still cutting good today.   8)

My Mom still gradually regains strength and coordination, but it has slowed to the point that insurance doesn't cover rehab anymore.  Dad takes her walking several hundred feet 3 times per day, inside their house or at a local store, with a special walker.  She has driven the car, with my Dad a couple of times.  She shakily addressed all their Christmas envelopes with her left hand (she used to be right handed).  Funny thing is her right arm and hand are stronger, but her left hand fingers have dexterity. ???  Thanks for thinking about her! I hope your back is doing better.

Norm,

Cold enough for you today?  ;D  I think I'll have to pass on the move to your place today.  ;)  I think hot and stuffy is the place to be, even though I have to sniff walnut.  I like walnut, but it doesn't like me.  :(   DanG allergies anyway!  >:(  At least it's fresh cut.  Besides Al wouldn't have me to keep him warm.  :-*  ;)  

I'm going to have to tell Arky that I'll be a few days late.  :D

I've heard about the money smell down south of your place.  I don't mind a little "pu fume."  It's gotta be better than perfume!  ;D

Linda  :)

Norm

Boy cold is the word isn't it. My poor old sawmill looked like it needed a blanket on it. Last week when it was warm the wind was out of the SW. Boy do those little piggies give off some powerful smell. You would think that they could bottle all that methane and sell it.

During the fall they pump out the basement of these confinements and knife it into the fields. They get around 20 bucks an acre. Your right about the money smell. :D

Thank You Sponsors!