iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

belsaw m14 circa 1978. locking pawl on carriage log

Started by shelbycharger400, June 03, 2011, 08:47:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shelbycharger400

their is a small lever that you flip back or forward  after everytime you move the pull arm forward more than a 1/4 turn of the big gear to advace the log forward to index back . basically pulling forward on the handle, and it stays locked pushing back.     1/4 turn of the big gear = 2 inches.  Id post a picture of it if it wouldnt give me runtime errors.   their has to be something missing cause it seems like it is going to be a pain in the rear leaning over a log to reset it all the time 

bandmiller2

Shelby,If I'am thinking of the right thing you need a small chain from your "D" handle rod down to that pawl. To backoff you twist the "D" handle and that engauges the pawl to recede the headblocks.Can you show us a picture?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

the one i had was just like you describe. and yes you have to reach over the log to flip it each time. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

captain_crunch

Here is the best pic I got

On mine if you are going away from saw poping it all back it will flip to moveing knees back towards blade
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

shelbycharger400

i forgot to say, it will ratchet if i hold the upright bar for the locking dog.  Not thrilled with it at all.    i can tell that this thing really was never used, their is no friction at all, zero bind,  the whole thing will overtravel if your not careful. the angle iron under the rails to hold the spider gear in its rack tight is loose as hell, i can move the hole assembly over 1/4 in up  , i cant imagine if sawing and hit a knot, this thing would bounce  :o.  also noticed that the factory travel stops?  never stop overtravel in either direction.    looks like im going to do a ton of stuff to this before i put it all back together .

captain_crunch

Belsaws were built for Farmers and homeowners and not overbuilt by anymeans with a little paientice they WILL cut perice boards but you have to accept their limits. I just got done cutting High dollar walnut fer a feller till he seen some Oak I cut would not have considered haveing any thing sawn on a circle mill. so make what you got work to its best.
PS dont ever roll a log at set works on a Belsaw becaus thet wont take load this is why I roll my logs away fron knees
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

shelbycharger400

I think when i get around to getting the metal frame for mine, im going to figure some sort of pop up hydraulic jacks with tandem rollers mounted on them  ,  on  front end of the rig,  and will pass through the carrage, then drop out of the way when im done,  and have them set so when i roll a log up it wont hammer the carrage.       I think i have decided to just get this running again,  and reuse the wooden frame for now,  but set it up for 12footers or shorter.    My yard is only an acre,   but where im at... i can get away with it for now. 

Thank You Sponsors!