iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Oak Cubed

Started by nas, June 03, 2011, 02:56:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nas

I seem to be getting a lot of orders for odd sized blocks, and other one offs.  Here is what I did yesterday.
Take a 24"x80" white oak log
Cut it into a 16"x16" cant

cut it into 20" blocks
put each block on the mill to square up the ends

finish with 4 16"x16"x16" blocks

These will be allowed to dry for a couple of weeks, then sanded and casters put on the bottom.  They are for end tables.  I know they will crack as they dry, but the customer is fully aware of this.  It is a bit of a pain to cut them, but I enjoy it, and the pay is a lot better than production cutting. smiley_thumbsup

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

Coon

Get out the black paint and turn them into oversized dice.    :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

tyb525

I've seen those for sale on various websites, they're a very interesting way of making end tables!
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

cutterboy

What an interesting job. How do you figure out a price to charge?

To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

nas

I estimate how long it will take me + the cost of the log.  I usually estimate quite high, and people still tell me I don't charge enough. ???  Most people around here wouldn't have a hot clue where else they could go to get this kind of stuff, so if they really want it, the price doesn't seem to matter very much.

Nick
Better to sit in silence and have everyone think me a fool, than to open my mouth and remove all doubt - Napoleon.

Indecision is the key to flexibility.
2002 WM LT40HDG25
stihl 066
Husky 365
1 wife
6 Kids

bandmiller2

Those must be heavy,it would take big Mable Murphy to move them around the living room. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

5quarter

They should have laminated consecutive boards that have been dried. same result but without the splitting.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

tyb525

I think the fact that it's a solid piece is part of the effect they want ;)
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

paul case

i would try to seal them up with soem polyeurathane after the surface dries as to keep the cracking and checking to a minimum.  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

logwalker

Go in from the bottom and bore the center with a 4" forstner bit. It will allow the blocks moisture to equalize and keep the splitting to a minimum. It will make a big difference.

Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Magicman

That sounds like an interesting market for suppliers to investigate.  Folks want what they want and somebody has to supply it.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!