iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Why doesnt warranty cover this ?

Started by Madman_Mark, June 03, 2011, 12:43:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

I bouught a Stihl FS 130 brush saw 9 months and it has a 2 year warranty. My dealer says that the valves need adjusting on this saw after 100 hrs. Why do I have to pay for this ? No big deal just curious, havent had a chance to ask him yet.

ladylake

Likely it's classified as normal maintance like changing oil in you car.   steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Ianab

Warranty covers manufacturing faults.

Routine maintenance isn't a fault, it designed to need that adjustment. Maybe a good dealer should have put that work into the up front cost, and offer to do it for "Free", but it's not a warranty issue.

Same idea as needing to bring your car in for the oil change. Some car dealers now offer a year or more "free" servicing, but you can bet you have paid for it somewhere along the line, and it's not treated as a warranty issue.

I would also bet that if you don't get it done, and a valve seat gets burnt out, it wont be covered by warranty any more. Again, not a manufacturing fault, but incorrect maintenance.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Red 93 L1 #3383

The valves are easy to adjust.  If the dealer wants $10 - $20, let him do it while it's under warrenty ( that way it is documented ).  If you use it 100hrs every 6 - 9 months it won't be that bad but, if you use it 100hrs. every couple weeks you better learn to do it yourself.  We have three FS 130's at work.  We check the valves during our winter service.
Stihl's: 2-064AV's, 020T, MS 310
'93 Ford F-150 Lightning, '94 F-150 4x4, '92 F-150 4x4 '80 F-150 EFI 7.5L, '04 Expedition (Wife's)

Thank You Sponsors!