iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Explain this to me please

Started by Madman_Mark, June 03, 2011, 08:22:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Madman_Mark

What are all these diferrent measurements I see for lumber - 4/4, 12/4 etc etc.... ? Thanks

Tom

Quarter scales are a marketing measurement for rough cut lumber that insures a full inch is available to the user/finisher.   It is a measurement in quarter inches and the roughcut lumber must be at least that thickness to be sold as such.  For example, a board is 4/4 (four quarter) from a full one inch of thickness up and until it reaches 5/4 (five quarter), at which time it can be sold as 5/4.

Just because 5/4 produces a finished product of 1" thickness doesn't mean that roughcut boards can be legitimately sold as 5/4 boards.  This is why you also hear the terms "Finished" and "Nominal" used when the sawyers are talking with people who deal in finished lumber.

Finished lumber continues to use lesser measurements.  A finished 2 x 4 can now be 1 1/2" thick by 3 1/2 inchs wide.  Those are its "Finished" dimensions.  A rough cut, or Nominal, 2 x 4 must be at least a true 2" x 4" to be sold as such. Though some buyers will accept anything that will allow them to reach the dressed sizes, it's the buyer who must accept less.

You will also find that the term "Board foot" is a volume measurement of rough dimensions and not intended to be used for finished sizes.   When figuring board footage, the nominal measurements are used.

ARKANSAWYER

It is how ole timers know when they are talking to rookies.  It is like the secret hand shake at the Piggy Roast.  When you learn it there will come a day when you will know it.
  What Tom said.
ARKANSAWYER

Magicman

It is sometimes funny to listen to folks using those terms.  Novice woodworkers throw them out so that you will know that they are "wood savy".   I once asked a farmer if he wanted his lumber a full 4/4.  He said "no", he wanted it a full one inch.   :D  Bottom line, it all depends upon who you are talking to, but Tom gave you the correct answer.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sdunston

Well said Tom,
And as I was reading i was thinking about the metric system, Is 3/4 used in all countries or do they use 19mm, is it a brd foot or a brd meter? I know I have seen pic's of mills that use metric magnetic setworks rules. Just wondering?
Thanks Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

paul case

i have heard our aussie friends talk about meter cubed. it gets confusing? easy to confuse me though. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

tyb525

A safe rule of thumb that I use is get your rough lumber a quarter thicker than you want your finished boards. If you want 3/4" planed boards, get rough 4/4. 1" planed, get rough 5/4, and so on.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Ianab

Quote from: sdunston on June 04, 2011, 08:29:01 AM
Well said Tom,
And as I was reading i was thinking about the metric system, Is 3/4 used in all countries or do they use 19mm, is it a brd foot or a brd meter? I know I have seen pic's of mills that use metric magnetic setworks rules. Just wondering?
Thanks Sam

Here, and is Aussie, the standard measure would be Cubic Metres. Simple to visualise, it's a stack of timber 1m x 1m x 1m. Measure the stack and do some simple maths.

25mm is about 1", so a 4x2 becomes a 50x100. My planer has a stop at 19mm, approx 3/4" and that's the common finished size for boards.

No one locally would use brd/ft as a measurement.

Because NZ converted to metric in the 70s there are still us folks that grew up with inches, so most rulers and tapes still have both inches and metric on them.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ernie

Quote from: Ianab on June 04, 2011, 06:31:08 PM

Because NZ converted to metric in the 70s there are still us folks that grew up with inches, so most rulers and tapes still have both inches and metric on them.

Ian

If I want to visualize a building or shed or virtually anything labelled in metrics, I always do the mental conversion into imperial so I actually know what size it is.  But that said, when cutting and machining I work in millimeters.  Must be my feeble attempt at becoming metrificated. Although I still call a 50 X 100 a 2 by 4 like I did in Canada not a 4 by 2 kiwi style.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Tom

I've tried to do that Ernie.  The "Smart" people in the USA have been trying to get the working people to use metrics for years.  As hard as I've tried, I just can't picture the metric in my head.  In all honesty, the first measurement I think of is a 100yd football field.   I think of my foot as a foot and my height as six feet, for comparison's sake, even though they aren't.   My hand spread is 9 inches, my hand span about four, and I've no idea what a kilometer is, but a mile is about half way between here and the crossroads.  A teaspoon of sugar goes in my tea, a tablespoon in my milkshake and I buy butter a pound at a time.   

I suppose that I'm a lost soul.  They'll have to wait on yet another generation too.  My sons and my friends children are all talking in feet and inches too.  :-\

tyb525

I was taught metric in elementary, but that's about it. We used it in science too, but those were all measurements.

I can't estimate anything in metric, it's just so much easier with imperial. They way it works out, and is easily divided, and is in fractions, instead of decimals, makes it handy.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bandmiller2

Every trade has its jargon so you can tell the pilgrims from the players.I'an too old to go metric and won't RIP unless 6 feet under. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

i have just sorta got down pat counting backwards in  fractions( a key to being a good sawyer) in my head and there is no room for anything else new.
i have a computer memory. i have to forget something old to remember something new.
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Ianab

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 04, 2011, 08:21:58 PM
Every trade has its jargon so you can tell the pilgrims from the players.I'an too old to go metric and won't RIP unless 6 feet under. Frank C.

Make sure they don't make the hole 2 metres deep  ;) :D
(6' 6&3/4")

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

DanG

Well I ain't got a clue what a "metre" is, but I'm fairly conversant in meters and the derivatives thereof.  It is just like speaking a second language.  You will always think in your native tongue(or tongeu if you're Kiwi  ;D ) even if you can speak in another.  In military aviation we had to think in kilometers a lot, and being too cheap to pay a mechanic, I have to think in M&Ms a lot.  If 1/2 is too little and 9/16 is too big, go with a 13.  It ain't that hard. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Magicman

Just wait until we convert to a metric clock/calendar.  no_no  Let's see: 100 seconds to the minute, 100 minutes to the hour, 10 hours to the day, 10 days in a week, 10 weeks to the month, 10 months to the year..... smiley_dizzy smiley_dizzy
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cedarman

I think the bad taste of going metric was that they tried to teach it by making kids convert from english to metric and metric to english with all the messy arithmetic involved.  It made kids heads hurt.  If they had just made kids measure in metric, estimate in metric,  calculate in metric, they might have gotten the job done.  How is metric taught these days?
Doesn't 4/4 hardwood go by a different thickness rule than 4/4 softwood?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sawguy21

Mag, you are just trying to make a bad situation worse. :D In Canada, the kids don't know what a foot or a pound or a mile is. We were metrified in the mid 70's, the imperial system disappeared from the school system. It's funny, I still think in terms of pounds and inches yet when I go south of the border I find myself converting miles to kilometers because that is what I am used to.
Back to the original topic, I like bandmiller's line about players and pilgrims.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Ernie

I think the worst is gas mileage.  I know well what 20 mpg is (in imperial gallons ;D)  because it is so many units of distance for each unit of fuel -- common sense.  But I neither understand nor see any merit in "litres/100 km". 
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

SwampDonkey

Quote from: tyb525 on June 04, 2011, 08:13:26 PM
They way it works out, and is easily divided, and is in fractions, instead of decimals, makes it handy.

A decimal is a fraction. ;) 0.1 = 1/10. Metric is in tenths, where all you have to do is move the decimal left or right depending on whether you divide or multiply. With imperial and it's 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 it takes a little more juggling in the noggin to do the math with complex numbers.

Ex: imperial: 1645 and 11/32" divide by 1/16 of an inch  (which is not 0.16) Whenever the math involves something outside the familiar 1/8, 1/16, 1/32 etc it involved more time. Sometimes stuff might be 1/65536 of an inch.

Metric 1645.3862 divide by 20 cm  ...all you do is move the decimal point left one move and divide by 2. I'm done the math in metric in way less than 1 minute and your still cogitating. ;)

Some people think base 2 is much easier. Your typing on a base 2 machine. ;D

Ok, enough tormenting you guys. But did you know it's on the books in the US as using metric as the official measure? It is usually metric published in scientific literature, often with imperial equivalents. Although, no body can make up their mind how big a gallon is. ;)

metre is the unit of measure, meter is what you measure it with. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

QuoteMetric 1645.3862 divide by 20 cm  ...all you do is move the decimal point left one move and divide by 2. I'm done the math in metric in way less than 1 minute and your still cogitating.

And you are left with something the size of which I still have no idea.

WildDog

I only learn't metric at school and when I left the 1st cattle place I worked on the other 4 guys were older and had no idea of metric.

We started of fencing and I was told cut your strainer posts 8 ft,  4ft in the ground and 4ft out, stays at 9 ft, posts at 6ft. I figured that out easily with 30cms to the ft but then when we came to setting the fence out they started talking in chains, thats when I had to plead ignorant.

I put 4 strainers and stays in yesterdy ready for my son to come home fencing this week. These days my strainers are 1275mm out of the ground, thats 4ft 3inches.

One thing I still do that I learn't from the old blokes was to cut notches in my shovel handle showing 18inches, 36inches and 48inches for my different posts depths. Even with my sons one will be barring and one shoveling and when someone says "How much further"? the call will be about 8inches, you won't hear them say 20cms or 200mm and they are only 17 and 19yrs.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Thank You Sponsors!