iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Redneck carpet stretcher

Started by Banjo picker, June 02, 2011, 08:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

My pal Richard came up with this bright idea...it works...jack against the wall pushing a board with a cross piece on the end with multiple tack strips on it...

Richard moved here from New Orleans, but I think he is now an offical redneck...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

D Hagens

If he can get paid by the hour to lay carpet he'll be doing real good :D :D

Banjo picker

I didn't pay him anything...He might have got supper... :D  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

red oaks lumber

how does he hold the board down and run the jack crank? 8)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

scgargoyle

As long as it doesn't matter that the living room is now 6" longer than when he started, and you can see the ground underneath.... :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

Banjo picker

Quote from: red oaks lumber on June 02, 2011, 09:56:16 PM
how does he hold the board down and run the jack crank? 8)

I held the board down while he turned the crank...then he took my place and I went to the end you can't see and got the carpet to catch in the tack strip....Tim

Magicman

He may be an official Redneck, but I'll bet that he still talks like a Coonass.   :D :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Weekend_Sawyer

Im proud to say my grandfather was a coonass.
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Banjo picker

Quote from: red oaks lumber on June 04, 2011, 09:55:18 AM
whats a coonass? :)

A native of South Lou....and as Weekend_Sawyer said....Proud of it....Tim

Magicman

The two key words are "native" and "South Louisiana".  I'm proud to know a few myself.  Understand them??   No.  Be around one for a while.  He won't talk like you do, but you will find yourself trying to talk like him.

Watch "Swamp People".  Those are Coonasses for sure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

T.J.

aint a coonass the Louisiana version of a Yooper ??????   :D  :D

Magicman

It should be pointed out that Coonass is not a controversial or insulting term.  It simply describes a proud people that descended from the French speaking Arcadians that settled in South Louisiana.  Of course, the term Cajun is slang for Arcadia, and who (at least I don't) know where the term Coonass came from.

They absolutely know how to cook, party, and have a good time.  Generally, if it is alive or has ever been alive, they will cook and eat it.

DouginUtah

I looked coonass up and apparently not everyone agrees that it is not insulting...

LINK

I, personally, wouldn't know. I've never knowingly seen one in Utah.  :D
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Banjo picker

Well I guess some people wouldn't like being called a red neck...but I don't mind   Tim

Paul_H

I was taught that Cajuns were from the Maritimes of Canada.

http://www.acadian-cajun.com/exns.htm
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

pineywoods

Quote from: Paul_H on June 05, 2011, 05:04:18 PM
I was taught that Cajuns were from the Maritimes of Canada.

Paul, you were taught correctly. Only a bunch of them left over some political problems, and mostly settled in the swamps of southwest Louisiana and east Texas.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Hilltop366

Nice carpet stretcher.

Well I really had to comment on this, seein as I am Acadian and once made a carpet stretcher just like that one.

Raider Bill

Probably like when we Southern folk call ya'all Yankees. :D :D :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Slabs

I've seen the debate go back and forth.  some old gal on one TV program initiated a campaign to eliminate the T-shirt sales  with "Proud Coonass"  on them.

My old Army buddy said "I most certainly am a coonass". 

I always start out referring to them as "the bayou people" (as I saw on a PBS presentation) and often get corrected by "No, I'm a coonass".

I make my social errors and roll with the flow.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

Taylortractornut

I  think someone used one of those stretchers on  my  old house  since nothins straight flush ner square.   

I was  agravated at a job I was on and me and my buddy  and i heard there was a pipe line going across a marsh and we took off.  to south  LA.       We got there and we were gladly put on a swamp buggy crawler and  sent out.  I was  about to be put on a  clambucket and   my friend on an excavator.   About the 4th  cotton mouth that fell on the deck of the crawler    We were ready to come back to  Iuka lol.        On the cooking anything what really changed my mind was we saw one drag in a Nutria   and dress it and start cooking it.      Had to look hard for a Mcdonalds.

My overload permit starts after sunset

Patty

OK, I 'll bite. Just what is a Nutria?  ???
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Raider Bill

Patty,

It's a nasty swamp dweller that's almost like a cross between a hog and a rat.

http://www.nutria.com/site.php

metalspinner

:D :D

I'm just catching up on this thread.  You guys are killing me. :D "The bayou people" :D :D :D :D :D

Yeah, a coonass can be a term of endearment or an insult.  Just like anything else.  Pretty much a redneck that grew up south of I-10. :D 

Funny thing about the yooper comment.  When Jeff has a yooper night, I can read along easy-speasy because it mimics the "cajun" dialect almost exactly.

Patty, a nutia is a huge rodent.  It looks like a beaver without the cool tail.  So, in fact, it looks like a huge rat. :-\

QuoteThe two key words are "native" and "South Louisiana".  I'm proud to know a few myself.  Understand them??   No.  Be around one for a while.  He won't talk like you do, but you will find yourself trying to talk like him.

Watch "Swamp People".  Those are Coonasses for sure.

Having lived in yankee terratory (Texas and Tennessee ;) )for the past 20 years, I have lost most of my accent.  But drop me back home for 2 days, and I slip right back into it. 8)  I love watching Swamp People on Thursday nights. I grew up all around that area where they shoot the show.  If you pay careful attention to the dialect, you will notice that Troy, out of Pierre Part, has what I consider the truest Cajun accent and attitude towards life. RJ and Jay Paul from Houma sound Cajun, too. But Joe and Bruce, who live further east in the state, do not. The over dub announcer guy sounds like the Dukes of Hazzard overdub announcer guy and who knows where he is from. ::) :D

People from New Orleans often get insulted when they are considered Cajuns.  Unless they are making money from it through marketing, of course. Some of Canada's Acadiens immigrated and settled in Acadia Parish (County), which is  south centrally located in the state near Lafayette. People from New Orleans would rather be thought of as French (left overs from Napolian), not Acadian. ::)

Call me anyhting you want - just don't call me late to dinner. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Woodcarver

Muskrats would probably be the closest thing we have here in the north.  I think the nutria are larger, though.

I had an acquaintenance in the working world, who I first worked with at a firm I dealt with in Kansas City.  Several years later we got re-acquainted in Lousiana. Her explanation for the move was that she met a "coonass" she couldn't resist, got married and moved to his home town, Baton Rouge.  Obviously, a term of endearment in that instance.  :)
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Raider Bill

Yes they are bigger and have the destruction power of hogs.

A fun day is spent on a airboat driven by a swamp knowledgeable Coonass and a  shotgun with a whole bunch of shells chasing them. :) :)
You about get tired of reloading..... :)

pigman

Quote from: metalspinner on June 07, 2011, 01:07:30 PM

Having lived in yankee terratory (Texas and Tennessee ;) )for the past 20 years,  

Wait a minute there Chris. I don't think that most people in those states like being called Yankees. :o I am north of Tennessee and and this area is not considered yankee  area. :P Well that is except the area of the state near WV or Ohio. ;) And we speak hillbilly in this area. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

tcsmpsi

My thoughts as well, metalspinner, with regard to the yooper comment.   :D

Now, I likely thought everybody would know, that a sure enough golden blooded redneck wouldn't need no carpet stretcher.  Just roll it out far as it will go, then put the couch and them old boxes to hold it down.  Or, better yet, let the old lady handle it. 
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Banjo picker

Thats exactly what I was fixen to do till Richard showed up... ;) :D  Tim

Coon

C'mon now a redneck would leave it all rolled up along the wall and then pile boxes on top of it and forget it was even there.   :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Banjo picker

Coon you can't be a redneck expert....You don't even eat GRITS....Tim

trapper

Nutria were orginally imported from south america  to raise on fur farms for fur.  along came a storm and released some into the wild.  I could be mistaken but they have their mamary glands for the young to nurse on on their backs instead of their belly.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Patty

Oh? Did I hear someone say fur coat?   Raider you need to get busy and shoot more of those things....Patty needs a new coat!!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Coon

No Grits here, Tim...... but I betcha this redneck eats some other things that you wouldn't even think of.....  ;)  How about porcupine stew.   digin_2  :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Raider Bill

Quote from: Patty on June 09, 2011, 10:13:34 AM
Oh? Did I hear someone say fur coat?   Raider you need to get busy and shoot more of those things....Patty needs a new coat!!

Patty,

I dunno.... We  used shotguns. I think a coat would leak. ;D

This reminds me I need to call my Friend in LA. and get invited to go again. :D :D :D Gotta bring my Son this time.

Banjo picker

Coon since this has done got off track... :D...Grits is a good thing....it stands for Girls raised in the South....some pretty racy t shirts out there...Tim

Thank You Sponsors!