iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A rare plant...at least for Mississippi

Started by Banjo picker, June 02, 2011, 08:22:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

What could it be? 

This might be as rare down here as the Lesser Mississippi Mongoose... ;)
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Banjo picker

It seems the transmigration of the images has cost some of the sharpness so here are a couple of other shots...

There is at least two of you out there that should know without even looking at the pictures... :)  Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Jasperfield

Walnut? ...Salvadoran Dwarf Cucumber Tree?

WDH

Looks like a Sasquatch standing beside some type of Aralia  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Texas Ranger

I tend to agree with Danny, but would like to see the stems and leaf nodes.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

SwampDonkey

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Texas Ranger

I notice a birthday cake on Donks reply, does that mean another year of experience is behind him, if so, have a happy.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

two tired

if i recall right my dad callid that a shoemake , when  it gets bigger it will have thorns on the bark. we would cut it to the length of a hoe and make hoehandles after it was peeled. the pith was verry soft. they are plenty of them growing in southwest louisiana.
when wondering about weather conditions call the dog in and see if he is wet

Tom

WDH

What you call shoemake is in the genus Rhus, the sumac family.  I do not think that it is a sumac.

Tom, it is definitely a notsweetgum, Dangineferious notliquidambarstyracifluaia :)  So, as a result, it is not rare and quite common.  There are notsweetgums everywhere you look around you  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

two tired

two tired

ok what is it you got my curiousity up

Banjo picker

The cfarm has done got it...Its Butternut....Juglans cinerea L.....DogeyLoner sent me 25 or 30 a while back...I had several to come up---but they turned white and died...as far as I know this is the only one that made it...

If it survives to adult hood will it polinate itself or would it have to have another one to make some babies....?   Is there any thing I should spray it with to keep it healthy...I made little wire baskets out of hardware cloth and sunk them into the ground and planted the nuts inside them to keep the squirles from getting the nut....they might not have bothered it since they have probably never seen one....should I fence it off to keep the deer from eating it down....?

SwampDonkey

Since you have a lot more deer than we do, it might be a good idea to fence it. I know hare will eat anything green up here.  Moose will destroy them. :D

The tree will self pollinate, but it's always a plus to have others to cross with. If Dodgy picked the nuts from a loan isolated tree that may be the problem causing most seedlings to die. If it were from a grove or in close proximity to others, which is how they grow around here mostly, they would cross for better seed. There are walnut twig borers to consider and the canker. Don't know what to recommend there. I think the best approach is keep it weeded so it's getting full light to be healthier to begin with.

To my surprise, I found one just across the road and up on the edge of a maple grove, this winter. It's about the same size as the yard tree. It's probably 300 yards from mine.

Banjo picker

As for the sweetgum...the reason there is some sun light getting to the little fellow is...I cut the sweetgums for crossties a couple of years ago....I love sweetgum in the right enviroment...just not in the yard...And could you please tell me what  Arilia is in laymens terms...And you guys know that there has never been a Sasquatch spotted in Mississippi... :)  Tim

SwampDonkey

Here are some pictures of the tree next door I just took.

While there, I found two bunches of these under the canopy. ;D

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Banjo picker on June 03, 2011, 05:42:56 PM
And could you please tell me what  Arilia is in laymens terms.

Spikenard , sasaparilla kind of looks like a walnut seedling, but not really. ;)

Tom

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 03, 2011, 05:46:23 PM
Here are some pictures of the tree next door I just took.

You better put that thing back, swampdonkey.  It's too big.  Somebody is going to miss it.  :-\

shelbycharger400

hard to tell, but is that 7 pairs of leaf sets ?
walnuts i rememberd as 10

I have yet to see a butternut here in mn. :( 

not to hyjack your post, but  splittin a ton of white and red oak.   i came across a piece that looks like white oak on the sapwood with red oak  in the heart wood.
also at the lake house is a rare one. 2 trees grown next to one another essentially a crotch then v off,  one is an ash other is a red oak, both have the same bark !

Banjo picker

Quote from: shelbycharger400 on June 03, 2011, 07:55:25 PM
I have yet to see a butternut here in mn. :( 

I had not seen one in Mississippi either ...untill I planted some.... ;)  Unless I am looking at the wrong state...there could be some in south east Mn...Tim

Dodgy Loner

I'm glad to see that one of your little butternuts survived! I'm starting to wonder if I'll survive in Mississippi after this last month :D. Thankfully we got some rain last night that cooled things off a bit. None of my butternuts survived - the squirrels got them all, and I never did get any more nuts. They came from a solitary tree, not a grove. It happens to be the only butternut tree I have ever seen growing wild. It wouldn't surprise me if your tree that did survive was the one lucky flower that was pollinated by a stray windblown speck of pollen from a distant tree :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Butternut trees are one of those tree species that if your not looking for it, you don't know about there being a whole bunch around through the woods. ;D I find new ones, pole sized or bigger, all the time around woodlots in the area. They aren't as abundant as ash, but they are about. ;) One lady has planted quite a few around here house lot. They are saplings and seedlings. The one I planted at dad's came from a seed off my yard tree, it's growing very well and is now about 7 feet after 6 or 7 years growth. I planted one at my uncle's about 14 years ago. It might actually be flowering this year, it's over 30 feet tall now. There is a grove of them across the road from his place on reservation land. And two of three in the woods behind the field above the house. Miles of them along a terrace, mixed in with other trees, that follows the main river. Any damp gully or spring in maple forest might have some to, but not more than 10 miles out from the main river. Out in the back country, no sign of them.

Banjo picker

Dodgy I am glad it is doing well myself...I did not really know where to plant them...If I ever get any more I will have a better idea as to where to put them..

..This weather has been a little unkind as of late...and about a month or so early with all this heat...We didn't get the shower you got either...

SwampDonkey ...Would seeds from trees in the North have as good a chance of sprouting and growin as ones from a Southern tree in my woods...The reason I am asking is I got some different seeds from Marcel --and as best as I can tell they never came up....they were horsechesnuts.... :(  I gave them the same protection in the hardware cloth cylinder as I did the butternuts....Tim

Thank You Sponsors!