iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Misery Whip?

Started by Randall, January 04, 2004, 02:37:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randall

The other day a freind of mine and I were were talking about antique logging and woodworking tools. He asked me if I had a Misery Whip and I said,"Yeah, her name's Marjorie". :D :D :D... But no, seriously, I'm not talking about my wife, I'm talking about a two-handled saw. I'm thinking about collecting old logging and woodworking tools and was wondering if there's a web site to help identify and price such things?

Jeff

Ebay has dozens of them but by the time you get one an pay the shipping they are way over priced, at least by Michigan standards. There are a lot of them out there. Almost every farm in Michigan had one or two from years ago. A fair price for one arounf here with 2 good handles and no broken teeth, and with teeth not wore out would be 35 to 50 dollars in a shop, and at a yard sale or auction, 20-30 dollars. If you want to pay more for one I have 12 now and I might sell one but my prices are not fair cause I like my saws. ;D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Frank_Pender

Out here in my area of Oregon I have paid all the way for nothing to $45 for an 8' "whip".  When I pay that much I have to know some of the saw history: owner (s), age of saw, where it was used and when, etc.. ;D
Frank Pender

Jeff

By the way, this is the website you are looking for. Someone on here has either saw what you are looking for or has one.

Jeff

Frank, can you PLEEEAASEEE  find me one of those long boys? I want one. I neeeeeeddddd one :D

Randall, you might find this link interesting. :)

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=general;action=display;num=1068399568;start=

Sawyerfortyish

Last spring I was at a consighnment auction and ther was several wagon loads of small farm related stuff the one wagon had 25 old crosscut saws some with broken teeth a couple broke in half. Well I knew the auctioneer he's a friend and he knew I collect saws so he put the whole heep of saws up for one money. Nobody wanted that many saws cept me ;D 15.00  8) and had to get my two kids to help me carry them away

Frank_Pender

Ok, Jeff.  Iwillsee what I can do for you.  I am setting here right now looking at two that have been painted with mountains scenes.  One is an eight footer depicting the Cascade Range of montains from the Columbia River South
the dmajor mountains are from North to South: Mt. Hood, Mt Jefferson, Three Sisters and Three Finger Jack, looking Eastward.  The other saw is only 6' long and depicts a scene looking South Southeast, showing Mt. Jefferson Willamette Valley and River up the East side of the Coast Range to Balck Rock/Laural Mt, down the Westside to the Coast with a Light House on the Yuquina Bay Peninsula.  I both cases the paintings were done by parents of students I have had in class.  
Frank Pender

Jeff

Well, if you find an 8ft or bigger unpainted, let me know what you need to get it to me. :)

Frank_Pender

Jeff, I also need to know what type of saw you want.  :P We have two types out here; one is for falling and the other is for bucking.   ;D  The most challenging is to find them with the handles still attatched. :'(
Frank Pender

Jeff

Frank, whats the difference in the saws?  I have extra handles, unless handles on those larger western saws are different then what I have. I think I have about 4 extra pair now.

D._Frederick

Jeff,
The bucking saw were made that one man could buck logs to length. The body of the blade on the teeth side were cut with a big radius, on a 7ft blade the radius was at least 12 -15 ft. At the widest point the bucking saw is about 8 inches wide. This was done so that only so many teeth would cut at one time. If there were too many teeth cutting, the blade would buckle on the push stroke with one man sawing. Also the blade was a guage heavier than the falling saw.
The falling saw was narrower  and a guage lighter than the bucking saw. A seven ft. falling saw is about 5 - 6 inches wide and required two men to use. They were made with a very large radius, a guess would be 20 to 25 ft. The teeth pattern depended on who made the saw.

Jeff

I am confused when you say radius. Would a radius of 25 feet mean that if the curve in the saw was extended to form a circle that the circle would be 50 foot in diameter? Then a shorter radius saw has more curvature?

Tom

I had a girlfriend like that once.  She was about 5 foot tall and must've had a short radius 'cause her curves went from one handle to the other. ;D

Kevin_H.

Now that is funny!! :D
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Stan

I can hear my Dad chantin' from 6' away, "pull, don't push". I wonder where that saw got to.  :P
I may have been born on a turnip truck, but I didn't just fall off.

D._Frederick

Jeff,

You got it! The bucking saw had a smaller radius so that the blade had more curvature, few teeth cutting at a time.

Frank_Pender

Geeee Don F. you took the words right out of my puter.  thank you for defineing for Jeff.  
Frank Pender

Jeff

Even though the bucking saws were built for use by a single man, are they still configured like a two man saw? Handles at either end?

D._Frederick

Jeff,
Both the falling saw and the bucking saw were symmetrical and had holes for saw handle on either end. With the bucking saw being symmetrical, the guy pushing that saw could change ends when it started to get dull.

D._Frederick

Frank P.
With your collection of saws, what kind of tooth pattern did the different saw mfg's. use? On the saws, Frank I may not be totally accurate because what we had were Simonds.

Jeff

When I get a chance here I'll take some pictures. Most of them are different from the next.

Frank_Pender

Don F.  I will have to check on the manufactureres of the 30 some saws that I have.  I have never really tried to find out who the mfg. were for any of the saws.  It may take a few days for that to happen.  We have almost 2' fo acum. snow that has fallen.  I thas just begun to dump sleet and rain on us this afternoon (1:45 pm).  Yea for that.  By thursday were are to have temps up to the high 40 and low  50 range.   8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!