iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tag Alder

Started by timberbeast, November 08, 2001, 11:29:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberbeast

What exactly is that stuff?  The beavers will take it if no popple close.....otherwise it just makes you trip and fall,  grows about 2-3 inches diameter,  dies and falls down.  If you cut it alive and dry it,  makes good kindling.  Anyone know what I'm talking about?  All the old "winter roads" are choked with it.
Where the heck is my axe???

Jeff

Beast, had to go back a ways for this one. We had a short conversation on how (try)to get rid of this stuff on this thread.

https://forestryforum.com/cgi-bin/board/YaBB.pl?board=Business&action=display&num=18&start=15
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

timberbeast

Thanks,  Jeff!!  Kinda just wondering what the heck it is species -wise. Drives me nuts trying to follow the old trails deer-hunting!  You trip on one,  lean on the next,  it breaks,  you start to fall,  grab the next one and hope it's solid...heh heh.  Maybe we can make gasohol from it and get real rich!!  LOL.  Thanks for digging that up,  it was quite interesting!

Ron Scott

Tag Alder, also known as Speckled Alder is a Birch shrub belonging to the Birch family.

Tag alder is arguably the most common shrub in the UP growing in rich swamp settings.

See www.forestry.msu.edu/uptreeid/Species/birchshrubs.htm
~Ron

timberbeast

Thanks,  Ron,  much appreciated!!

cointoss

Timberbeast, I once had an old neighbor that was one of the last of the old time loggers in the U.P. and he cut himself pretty badly while logging.  Well, blood poisoning set in, and they carried him to an old, country,doctor who pretty much told him there was no hope,  but that he had an Indian remedy that might work, from which he made a tea of the roots of Tag Alder.  Providence or the remedy worked because he was around till a few years ago, and believe it or not when he felt poorly he would drink some that he kept in his refrigerator, and yes I tried it.  Tasted just like coal tar to me, yuck!  But I make some every couple of years too and so far I'm still kicking.
cointoss

CHARLIE

Cointoss, I also drink an elixir for my health. It's not made from Tag Alder that I know of, but it is filtered through charred wood. I have to import it from somewhere called Lynchberg, Tennessee.  :o 8) 8) 8)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Texas Ranger

Mines got peat smoke in it, kept me going some 45 odd years.  And a few really strange years.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

cointoss

Guys I have to agree with you, the other stuff tastes a whole lot better, especially the stuff that was aged first in my wifes flower planters.
cointoss

Thank You Sponsors!