iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Massachusetts Tornado's

Started by bull, June 02, 2011, 07:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bull

Anyone affected by yesterday storms........  Westfield,springfield,brimfield,sturbridge,monson, a total of 19 communitees affected, buildings, house leveled. vehicles struined everywhere ......   Not sure of the F scale.......  But the HC *( holy crap )* factor is at it's highest level for everyone affected...
3 Confirmed tornado's touched down south and west of the mass pike !!

thecfarm

Stayed in to watch the news.That's too bad. Looks like just about the whole state was affected too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Madtowner

Appears to have tailed of to the south of North East Mass.  Merrimac, had some wind, no rain, and the sky was creepy looking.  Springfield did get hammered.  Video of it going across the ct. river was amazing. 
From Madawaska Maine and now living in Mass.
John Deere 5420,
WM LT 15.

cutterboy

It was a very scary time for my family yesterday because my daughter works in Springfield and the tornado passed close to the building she works in. The debris swirled around and struck the building but did no major damage. My daughter Angela, (who is pregnant with my first grandchild) took a video of it with her cell phone. I just thank God her building did not take a direct hit.
  I live about 40 miles north and east of Springfield and had two thunder storms pass over. The first dropped a lot of rain and had almost constant thunder and lighting. The second was rather mild but the sky had the strangest look to it, kind of an odd pink.
  We don't have many tornados here in Massachusetts, so this is very unsettling to us.

Ralph
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Jasperfield

I've never heard of a tornado in New England. When was the last time an actual cloud-to-ground tornado occurred there. Do any of you remember one?

I was scanning internet news sites and kept reading "Springfield". I presumed it was Illinois or Missouri, not Massachusetts.

cutterboy

Quote from: Jasperfield on June 02, 2011, 09:12:31 PM
I've never heard of a tornado in New England. When was the last time an actual cloud-to-ground tornado occurred there. Do any of you remember one?

In 1953 or 54 there was a tornado that went through the city of Worcester Ma. It killed over 150 people and is one of the worst tornados ever in the US.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

Jasperfield

Wow!

I had no idea that New England had any tornado history at all. Our history, apparently, will return.

Bobus2003

Quote from: cutterboy on June 02, 2011, 09:36:11 PM
Quote from: Jasperfield on June 02, 2011, 09:12:31 PM

In 1953 or 54 there was a tornado that went through the city of Worcester Ma. It killed over 150 people and is one of the worst tornados ever in the US.

The last time a lethal twister hit the state was on May 29, 1995, when three people died in great Barrington, near the New York State border.
Its deadliest recorded tornado was in 1953, when 94 people were killed in the Worcester area.

Mooseherder

This picture was taken Picture taken from Tower Square which is located on the East end of
Memorial Bridge in Springfield.

taken from the 22nd floor

Traffic is really backed up so I came back into work

woodsy

I remember the tornado that went through Great Barrington.  It went right over Rt 7 just a mile or so south of downtown.  You can make out its path through the cemetery, across 7, and over to the fairgrounds.

There was one in Northwest CT in 1989 that nearly wiped out Mohawk ski area.  The ski area had beautiful towering white pines all over.  The tornado flattened just about every tree.  It was weird skiing there with no trees.  When driving past you could see the tornados path through the forest for a long time.

I was a little over ½ hour north and west of the tornados in Mass the other day.  Pretty scary weather.  It was a beautiful morning.  We had just finished sawing up about 600 feet of walnut and were putting it on sticks when the weather came in.   
LT40HDG38, Logrite T36 log arch, 42 hp Kubota, 6 foot cross cut saw, lots of axes and not enough time

thecfarm

It has been confirmed,
http://bangordailynews.com/2011/06/02/news/bangor/weather-service-gauging-severity-of-wednesday%e2%80%99s-storms/?ref=mostReadBox
It's only a small one,but the weather service said it was a tornado.
Also been confirmed too,Bryant Pond. Both of theses were EF1 in size. Which I suppose is small in size and damage.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bull

my first tornado was october 3rd 1970 I was 5 yoa it was my older brothers birthday, one I will never forget.... A tree came thru the side of our house my dad station wagon got flattened and our tree fort went for a nine mile ride and landed in the next town *(lancaster )* I watched the funnel cloud from my 2nd floor bedroom window and saw the entire side hill to the west clearcut in seconds !!! also could see the farm on the hill which was not visible thru the trees before the storm....... roof and chimney of house across the street blew off right infront of me.... My father yelled to me to jump down the stairs which I did, we all headed for the cellar but that wasn't going to work there was a tree blocking the stairs !! too late storm had passed by then !!
I will never forget the color of the sky before or after the storm and the smells in the air !!!!  We have tornados in Massachusetts and when we get them they kick our A$$ !!!     the ones I remember 1970, 1982 snownado, 1986,1991,1995, there were a few others cant remember the dates also quite a few near misses....

Raphael

I drove the VW beetle through the developing edge of the last one that hit our corner of CT.
The big problem with Tornadoes in this part of the world is you can't see the cell walls until they're right on top of you, not like the cell I raced (in a loaded Uhaul) out of Fort Dodge Iowa two years ago.

Deb's survived five so far, had two houses taken right off her while the family hid in the basement.
... he was middle aged,
and the truth hit him like a man with no parachute.
--Godley & Creme

Stihl 066, MS 362 C-M & 24+ feet of Logosol M7 mill

Thank You Sponsors!