iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

B,C, or D

Started by bkellyvtme, June 01, 2011, 09:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

I was wondering about which 440 to get. I came across a B,C, and D in my price range. I know that the parts are getting harder to find for these machines, but is there one worse than the other to find parts for? The machines I am looking at are all in great shape, but you never know and I am trying to get an idea for worst case scenario. Opinions on the machines would be great too.

The 440B as you know has a power shift. Are these early powershift transmissions good and can you find parts? How about stuff like yokes? (that was a problem on my Franklin) It runs good and has a fresh motor.

The 440C manual shift tranny, same as above. Easy to get parts? It has been a guys second machine and basically a tinker toy. I did find the belly pan for it thanks to the earlier thread. Thanks guys.

The 440D powershift. I know it will be expensive to repair that one if it goes. What about parts on this one? It is a little big for what I want, but it will do.

Frickman

I like the B because it has a storage compartment between the winch and arch for my saws and gas. They're all good machines though.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

tyb525

Lots of threads about 440s recently..
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

thecfarm

I know nothing about skidders,but I would lean towards a manual shift. Just easier to work on,if it does break. But saying that,maybe fewer was made and harder to find parts too for the tranny.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

snowstorm

i would not buy a 440 a or b powershift. they didnt make that many and i think it was a copy of what they used in a backhoe. your talking about a machine built in the 60's early 70's. the c came out around 77. ujoints? they will only last about 25yrs if you greese them. yokes?the spline on the driveshaft will wear out. when looking at an a look the wheel hubs over pretty well. the fix was new hubs set in plastic steel. once fixed as deere said they were fine. a 540b would be the best chioce

Decked

I started with a "hoopie", then bought a 540A, worked with that till I purchased a brand new 540D. Both had powershifts, and I never had a tranny problem with either, but ,the "A" had frame issues.
The D model was a real SWEETIE, & it was a HAPPY day when they delivered her! 8) 8) (The 440D was built on the same frame as the 540D, more stable.)

I would have a "D" any day .

thecfarm

Decked is a new member.Welcome to the forum. What's a hoopie by the way?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Decked

Some called them a  "short Dog".

It was an old military 6 X 6 ,cut down to a 4X4. It had a chevy 6cyl. engine, an old winch that was power-out, power-in, & a logging arch from some old Deere pull behind arch.

Slow as all get out, but, it taught me & a friend(later became my log-cutter), the basics.
We spent 12 years contracted to Hammermill Paper ( later becoming International Paper), we completed all 4 phases of training by Soren Erikkson & the "game of logging", & never had an serious injury. :)

Thank You Sponsors!