iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2004 LT28 - things to look at before i buy?

Started by mjeselskis, May 31, 2011, 06:23:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjeselskis

I'm looking at a 2004 LT28 tomorrow. I was set to build my own mill, but the price on this is too hard to pass up if it is decent. He said it has a 18hp Tecumseh on it. Any normal wear spots that I should check out when I look it over?  I thought they LT28 would have a kohler on it, did WM put Tecumseh on at some point?
2006 WM LT28  1993 John Deere 5300
Husqvarna 562XP & 365 X-Torq

mjeselskis

I talked to him again, it does have the Kohler 18hp on it. Nobody knows of any weak spots or things to look out for?

Jasperfield

I believe that the LT-28 is the best mill per dollar that WM offers. If you can get a demo of the mill, do so. Otherwise look for abuse-based damage and lack of maintenance.

The engine, and electrical system are nothing special or proprietary. I presume it (may) have a front-mounted hand winch for loading & turning logs; manual toeboards & clamping. Make sure the two loading ramps come with it. It probably has a rope drive to feed the blade through the log, and a hand crank to raise/lower the blade to sawing height(s) based on the scales magnetically attached to the single vertical post.

Check that the hitch hasn't been abused and that the wheels & axles appear normal for age and general condition.

Neglect or abuse will be obvious and you should be able to determine such.

If you can start the engine, tension-up the blade, check the travel of the head along the length of the mill, raise & lower the head (and operate all the appertenances) it's going to be in generally good condition. Check by eye for "straight" where straight should be.

These mills, the LT-28, can be made in very good working condition for not a lot of money. Parts, manuals, tech help from WM, etc. are readily available.

The mill you're looking at will speak for itself. Just take your time inspecting it, begin at one end and methodically work your way to the other.

Ask for the manuals and maintenance history. If they are not available, WM can supply a manual and tell you of any maintenance performed by them.

On the open market a good used LT-28 is a sought-after commodity.

Brucer

Wood-Mizer wasn't making the LT28 in 2004. If he's got the year right, then it would be an LT27. The mast is the give-away ... The LT27 has the same double mast as the LT40 series; the LT28 has a single mast, similar in principle to the one on the LT70.

Nothing wrong with the LT27, but I don't know if all the new LT28 options will work on it. In short, do your homework.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

MartyParsons

LT27 is a solid unit. It would need to be abused serverly to be in poor condition. It is the LT40 frame. I cant think of anything special to look for service wise. 21' cutting length. (LT25 is a 16' cutting length)  Rope feed and up and down chain, have both controls for up down and feed on the same handle. B57 belts on wheels and 158" blade length. Engine should be Kohler 18hp. All parts are available. The LT28 model took its place a few  years back. WM wanted to offer a power feed and some other features.
The LT27 options were Log deck package, ( winch, turner and taper adjustments for the log. )
Hope this helps!

There is a WM dealer in Maine that would help you if needed. We can also get you a idea of the value if also needed. I would guess it would be worth $ 5000 to 8,000. You can purchase a new LT28G18 today for $10,175.00

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

mjeselskis

Thanks for the help. I hauled it home today. It is a 2006 LT28 in great shape. The paint is faded, but otherwise it is perfect. It has a manual winch by the tongue, and he also mounted a 3700 lb Warn up front that he used to roll the logs on. He demo'd it on a 16' spruce and it worked great. The motor ran perfect, blade tracked and tensioned well, I couldnt see a thing wrong with it. It came with two large log peavys, two short peavys, bark spud, spare gas tank, spare water tank, 15 new blades, 15 blades ready to go to resharp, a few spare parts, and all the original owners manuals and spec sheets. All for 4k. I think I got a good deal. 

If it wasnt for the full time job getting in the way, I'd be sawing tomorrow.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

red oaks lumber

you have to call in sick, youv'e got sawdust poisining the only cure is more sawdust 8) sounds like a good deal
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Brucer

Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Left Coast Chris

Great deal.....

I have a LT 28 clone but put on a Honda 24 HP twin.  I run 1.5" blades and it works great.  One issue on mine is a flat spot on the round stock where the head rollers rest on the frame welded round stock.   I used cold roll and should have used a hardened shaft.    I have heard of stock WMs getting flat spots though.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Magicman

Wow mjeselskis, sounds like you got an incredible deal.  Congratulations !!!  I know that you are anxious to get that baby making sawdust.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sdunston

WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Thank You Sponsors!