iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw powered swing saw mill

Started by blumoon, May 31, 2011, 12:08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

blumoon

Been on here a wile looking around, and I can say what a cool site and man do u guys know your mills. I live up in the very northern panhandel of Idaho, off grid and 2 miles from the country road, would live farther but wifeeee  says NO.......lol.......I would like to build a small swing saw mill powered by a 090 stihl saw I have. I think I saw one on here but can't find it. :) Any help would be greatly appreciated..........and yes I finally got my camara loaded on the the puter to put pics on as soon as I start building, again thanks. ;D
If you see me running for no apparent reason..........try to keep up!!!

Ianab

Welcome

Was probably my mill that you saw.

There lots of pics on my gallery and we plan on hauling it out and dusting it off this weekend, weather permitting and sawing up some logs.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Meadows Miller

Gday

And Welcome to The Forum Blumoon  ;) ;D 8) I was going to say Ian had one till I scrolled down  ;) :D ;D How do you go for driveline parts they are a pretty simple settup from what I can remember Mate  ???

Regards Chris
4TH Generation Timbergetter

paul case

welcome blumoon, to the forestry forum.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

thecfarm

blumoon,welcome to the forum. Good luck with your sawing. We do like pictures.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

acco1840

Am looking at doing the same thing. I believe Peterson built an 090 powered mill at some stage.
I was thinking of getting a truck axle shaft turned down and drilled to bolt on an 8 inch cut saw from a Lucas Mill.
That way it's one piece, with no welds and wont brake off and kill me!

from what I've seen, you dont need a gearbox with the Chainsaw powered version, as the saw can run on it's side. Just need to gear it right with pulleys.

Any photos or other ideas?

Ianab

QuoteAny photos or other ideas?

Here is some pics of my mill in action. As you can see the saw flips 90deg along with the saw blade, no gearbox needed. The sprocket has been replaced with a small pulley to gear down the 8,000 rpm of the saw to a sensible blade speed.

We are planning to go out sawing on Monday, so I can get a few more pics then.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

acco1840

That looks like a great setup mate. Was chainsaw milling with my 090 this morning, and your setup would have been great. I have contacted Peterson, and they no longer make the 090 version. Are there many about?

blumoon

Thanks Ian thats the mill I saw......lol...... From the pics it looks like it does a good job, What blade is the best to use, the lucus, or peterson style. As for the drive shaft I plan on having my friend at the machine shop turn down a shaft all in one piece, dont want a weld to break........can't run as fast as I use too....... :D....I was leaning towards a single rail style, but havent made my mind up yet. Still building my shop so i have a place to do this stuff, been doing it out in the great open, tired of the rain or snow on my projects...... ;D I have a mini grandburg i use now, takes longer to set up the rails then it does to saw a board.lol..... I have some pics of a snowmobile logging trailer i built a few years ago, I try to find them and post them...built it like a logging truck trailer...... ;D thanks again guys.......
If you see me running for no apparent reason..........try to keep up!!!

acco1840

Blumoon: I have seen one piece shafts made out here from turned down truck axle shafts, that way they are ready to go.

Ianab

QuoteWhat blade is the best to use, the lucus, or peterson style.

Main thing with limited power is the number of cutters.

It seems from my research / experience that you need 2 or 3 hp per tooth on a circle saw blade. So my mill has 8hp and 4 cutters. It does bog down a bit on the 8" cuts, and it's actually quicker to make 2 X 4" passes. A bigger swingblade may have 24hp and 8 cutters, or a big circle saw, 50 cutters and 100 hp. But they all seem to work in that some power per tooth range.

But when you are sawing the cutters have to slice thought the wood fibres on every pass. If you are only advancing 0.1 mm, it still takes that power to cut. With less cutters you can take decent bites, and cut 1 or 2 mm chips each time around. Sure you are cutting slower as you have less cutters in the game, but they are working efficiently, so you throw good size chips, and keep moving down the log. Not enough power per cutter, and things bog down badly.

Ian

Thank You Sponsors!