Big Honkin' Walnut Log, Little Mill

Started by WDH, May 30, 2011, 09:27:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

Don't forget to wear your spurs in that photo....   :D
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kevin

Trailer it up to the pig roast where we can discuss the milling of it over lunch.

WDH

OK.  That way a number of people can ride that log.  Jeff may even put a mane and a tail on it  :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Coon

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

WDH

Road Trip!

The walnut log traveled 60 miles to Customsawyer's abode for final disposition.  The following pics detail how it met the saw.

Would you trust your walnut with this man????  Anchorseal to the left, tape in hand, copenhagen at the ready in the shirt pocket, and a litte bitty chainsaw  :D.

Cogitating.........

After all the input from the Forum and the actual situation with the log, we decided to isolate the split by sawing parallel to the widest split.  This worked out very well as all the worst damage was isolated to the bottom of one 8/4 board.  There was actually very minimal waste.  Jake said that he got lucky.  I suspect that it has more to do with skill than luck  :).

We got six 18" wide by 10 feet long 8/4 planks from this log not impacted by the split.  There were four other narrower 8/4 boards, one 16/4 where the split V's off (for table legs and such to keep the impact of the split to a minimum), plus seven 4/4 side boards.  A bit over 325 BF.

Here is Jake puting some final MoJo on those boards after we were done  ;D.

All in all, this was one of the more exceptional logs that I have worked with, even with the split!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

paul case

exceptional job on that log you guys! ;D
that big honking log dont look so big on that big sawmill.
looks like you must have got the most out of that log as the lumber looks real good!
way to go!   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

customsawyer

Not to mention we had some good laughs along with the good lumber. Where is the pic of all the waste? ;D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

paul case

jake,
that stuff never makes the news. i bet that was the part you got to keep huh? ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

WDH

I did not want to show this huge pile of waste and threaten your reputation as a Sawyer.  If you had not slabbed it so heavy, we would have gotten even more BF :D :D :D :D.  

Just kidding for you serious types  ;D.  Amazingly little waste, but then again, all walnut is good for the right use except the bark and sawdust  :).

inspectorwoody

metalspinner

Wow!  Beautiful boards and work, guys.

I see a few natural edge platters in those slabs. ;)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

I left three of the wide 4/4 boards with the natural edge.  Maybe they will appeal to someone with $  :D.

tyb525

I thought this was appropriate for this big walnut, little mill topic. I sawed these for my neighbor. There was another log just like this one, plus the 3 smaller junky ones.

Despite the knots in the pictures, there was a suprising amount of FAS lumber in them. I just happened to take pictures when I got down to some knots ::) :D

Both were 22", no taper

Last summer, I sawed close to 500 bd ft walnut for him. He is trimming out a big addition in all walnut. 12" wide window sills :o. He's already got most of it done, but ran out and needed some more. That's what this lumber is for. Hopefully I'll get some pictures of it.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Good job.  Since I rarely saw Walnut, it is always a fun job for me to saw.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Beautiful job, Ty, and what nice logs to saw!  Would love to cut some like that- never seen walnut this far south...  :(

Is your neighbor kiln drying it before using it?  A 12" plank should shrink quite a bit, no?

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

WDH

Ty,

A very appropriate post given the title of this thread!  I am amazed at how little sapwood there was in those logs.  Georgia walnut has more sapwood volume per total volume than what I see posted on here from the Great White North.  I would be proud of the Little Mill  ;D.

customsawyer

I would have to say that he has earned some bragging rights.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Dodgy Loner

You kept us on the edge of our seats for long enough as we awaited the conclusion of this saga. Glad to see there was a happy ending ;D Those 18-inchers were worth the wait!

ljmathias - Walnut's natural range doesn't extend quite this far south in Mississippi, but I have seen a fair amount of it around old homesites, usually mixed in with a few pecan trees and a mulberry or two. Those old-timers didn't want to have to walk very far to get their fruits and nuts.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

LJ,

Then, canvas the old homesites and find us some walnut in your spare time  :D.  A man should not just lay around and do nothing :).  Once you finish this small, little, building project, you will need something else to do to occupy your time  ;).

Magicman

Walnut extends much further South along the Mississippi River and at least as far East as my place.  I have a considerable amount of Walnut.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

ljmathias

Thanks for all the comments- didn't mean to hijack Ty's great thread, just jealous is all.  :'(

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

tyb525

No worries LJ (although this is really WDH's thread). That walnut had been dead and down for years in my neighbors woods (which is adjacent to ours). The sapwood does tend to be narrow in many of our hardwoods. One thing we don't have around here are pines and cedar. The only time you see them is when they are planted, and that's pretty rare. Red cedar is nonexistant except in yards, that's a tree I would love to have.

Since this walnut had been dead for a long time, it was considerably drier than fresh cut, and the boards didn't move like they would from a green log. If you look at the picture of the cant (#5), the greenish wood is still wet and the purple/brown is pretty dry. I'm not sure how that will affect shrinkage, but I know he dried last year's wood in his empty grain bin for around 9 months, and so far hasn't seen any ill effects. Time will tell! It sure looks beautiful though, he put on 3 coats of boiled linseed oil for a nice satin finish that literally looks like chocolate..
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Magicman on June 20, 2011, 02:14:33 PM
Walnut extends much further South along the Mississippi River and at least as far East as my place.  I have a considerable amount of Walnut.

Actually, that you have walnut at your place helps to confirm the validity of the range maps for walnut. Jefferson County is right on the southern edge of the range, whereas McComb and Hattiesburg (which LJ and I have found to be devoid of natural walnut) are both just south of the range.

"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!