iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New member, new to me LM2000

Started by thechknhwk, May 30, 2011, 03:24:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thechknhwk

Well, I've been lurking around here and reading then a Norwood LM2000 popped up on CL a couple of weeks ago.... The guy was asking 5800 for it so I gave a call. He sounded pretty hard up and said he already had a lowball offer of 3k. I thought well one good lowball deserves another and thought if I could get it for under 4k I would take the plunge. I went to take a look at it and it was in really nice shape. He was the 2nd owner and said he had only cut about 10 logs on it and the previous owner hardly used it. Well, it showed. The mill fired right up and ripped through an ash log that I had brought over. It was a little punky but plenty dry and hard. I was pretty satisfied, so I told him I would think on it for a bit and already had him down to 3900 at this point. I called the next day and said I got 3700 cash if you want to sell the mill and he said come and get it....

It came with the trailering package, log ramps, the 13hp Honda, and the manual log winch. I was pretty geeked. Almost forgot to mention also came with 12 freshly sharpened band blades.

OFFSITE IMAGES NOT ALLOWED. IMAGES MUST BE IN YOUR FORESTRY FORUM GALLERY.

thechknhwk

Well small problem when getting the Norwood home.... my woods are swamped out, and I don't really have anything to move logs. I called my buddy that works for the county and he said there was some land clearing going on a few miles away.. Not really the stuff I was looking for, but I found a couple longer cottonwood logs and some nice diameter chunks of paper birch. Too bad they were already chopped into 2-3' sections. No matter I wouldn't have been able to load the whole log by hand anyways. I missed out on a nice 12-14" x 8' poplar log since I could not get it into the truck by myself. I went at it to try to cut them up on the mill...

This is the longest piece I got but alas it will probably only yield about a 6' 1x4. Greysen is helping man the plank ;D

thechknhwk

Some pics of the first long 1x's that I cut. These ones were a breeze - ripped right through it.

thechknhwk

And then we run into some problems... The shorter logs seem very difficult to dog up. They want to twist when the saw runs through them and bind up against the bogey wheel.

And then this happens...

No worries though... I got help on the way..

thechknhwk

After some fiddle farting around and head scratching, cussing and a beer... I looked ahead and saw my blade tension was below the "minimum" setting. After tightening it down the blade did not come off again after 3 failed attempts. Now we is making some lumber albeit slowly. I considered moving the log guide bar and dogging setup, but I didn't want to try to square it up again and get the mill out of setup since I haven't worked it much yet. I kept a close eye on the log movement and grabbed it from the back if it turned too badly.

A little semi-finished product.

Don K

Welcome to the forum. Glad you are enjoying the mill. Addictive isn't it. Wait until until you get a bigger long log. ;D One thing you could do to help with the twisting. I see you already figured out a longer support on the bottom for short pieces. Take one of the boards you have that are long enough to rest on two or more supports, stand it up edge wise and use it for better back support. It will be sacrificial and you just saw down through it. If it is a 1" thick board you get some stickers at the same time.

Good job on the pics.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

bandmiller2

Welcome C-hawk,thats quite a story.Like Don says will be much easier when you get some real logs,shorts and small diameter can be a hassel. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

Glad to have you here thechknhwk!  Welcome to FF! 8)
Also congratulations on the new to you mill.  Those Norwoods are pretty slick manual mills.  You got a great deal.   

Most impressive picture posting too!

Last, but not least, I'm tickled to see that boy out there helping you, its time well spent.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

thecfarm

thechknhwk,welcome to the forum. Glad you like sawing. Who don't.   ;D What's all the lumber,sawmill going to be used for? You probably will need a Logrite peavey too. Sponsor on the left.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Welcome to the Forum.  Short logs are a pain.  Congrats on the new mill!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thechknhwk

Quote from: thecfarm on May 30, 2011, 06:51:29 AM
thechknhwk,welcome to the forum. Glad you like sawing. Who don't.   ;D What's all the lumber,sawmill going to be used for? You probably will need a Logrite peavey too. Sponsor on the left.

I'm thinking the birch will make some nice dressers for the kids when it dries out.

Planman1954

Good job! I've got a lumbermate 2000 like yours. I love it. Just wish I'd had one 30 years ago...I would have had a more productive life building stuff. Oh well...nice post. Thanks.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 / Solar Dry Kiln /1943 Ford 9n tractor

Magicman

Welcome, thechknhwk, to the Forestry Forum and congratulations on the mill.  Shorts are a pain, but there is a learning curve with all sawing.  You are getting your experience the right way and will do fine.  Looks like you have a good helper.

Nice pictures.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

thechknhwk, you will be able to edit your posts by uploading photos to the forum gallery and linking back to them there. I apologize for your inconvenience, but we have a long standing rule here about not allowing offsite photos.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thechknhwk

Thanks,  I have my own website that will be online as long as I'm breathing that I host my images on which has been online since 2006.  They don't move or get deleted and when I post on multiple forums I like to centrally store the images instead of uploading them 4 different times.  You can delete this if you prefer, but I respectfully decline to re-upload these images at this time.

The milling section is nice and very active, so I guess I'll just keep reading....

SwampDonkey

thechknhawk, unless you own the photo repository your referring to I would not be so confident in it's welfare. There are a number of sites that have failed over the years and photos lost with no way to recover them if you don't have backups. So, if it's not under your control then don't be surprised one day when they go poof.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mooseherder

Gee, that's too bad because posting pictures is simple.
How this thing works is sorta like a cumulative effort of members learning from each other.
There a lot more than milling going on here.  ;)

thecfarm

That's too bad you won't put your pictures on here. The pictures really looked good. No big deal to put them on here. I have bunches in my gallery. Others look through it to enjoy it. Jeff just wants to make sure that pictures stay where they belong. Trust No One,sort of thing. A virus might get your picture site and you may have to redo the whole thing. Who knows what might happen to it. In the FF gallery Jeff had control of it and I don't blame him a bit for it and I can understand why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thechknhwk

Quote from: SwampDonkey on May 31, 2011, 04:00:44 AM
thechknhawk, unless you own the photo repository your referring to I would not be so confident in it's welfare. There are a number of sites that have failed over the years and photos lost with no way to recover them if you don't have backups. So, if it's not under your control then don't be surprised one day when they go poof.

I own and andminister the website and the gallery.  The hosting fees are already paid in full unitl 2015.

http://d14scrambler.com/quad/index.php

The "wood" gallery is the one you guys would be interested in unless you like ATV racing 8)

thechknhwk

DOH!  Can't post links either... I guess if you click on the globe by my username you can see my website.

D Hagens

Quote from: thechknhwk on June 01, 2011, 12:33:23 AM
DOH!  Can't post links either... I guess if you click on the globe by my username you can see my website.

Yeah you can :) Just need to read and follow the rules :) Look under upload files.

SwampDonkey

That's fine thechknhwk. But we have rules in the house. Just like grandma had in hers, follow'm and things will go a whole lot better for everyone. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Freedom to choose what one wants to do and what one does not want to do is what makes America great.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

mikeb1079

i really enjoy this forum but i've got to say that it's way too complicated to post pics on here.   :-\
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

WDH

No it is not.  You have to do a little work to learn, but nothing worth knowing is cheap and easy without a little investment. 

Thank You Sponsors!