iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One of those weekends..

Started by tyb525, May 29, 2011, 09:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tyb525

Since I am off Friday through Memorial day, I figured this weekend would be a great time to get stuff done.

Saturday I mow the pasture and other various places with the big tractor and bush hog. As I am about to open the gate to get out of the pasture, the tractor sputters and dies. Out of gas, and the battery quickly dies after I try to turn it over a few times (it was going bad anyways). Off to get a new battery. I get back home, wrong battery, somehow I ended up with a 6 volt when I need 12 ??? ??? It wasn't marked anywhere on the battery. Another trip, I finally have the right one, it starts pouring. I get soaked by the time I get in my truck. When I get home, I figure what the heck, I'm already soaked so I put it in the tractor, put some gas in it, and all's well.

Until around 10:30, when the cows decide to bust through the hotwire and break down the gate. So I had to chase them down (black cows) in a muddy field, well they got back in the pasture, but not the way I wanted. They decided the easiest route was right through the fence. Trying to fix fence in the dark and the rain isn't much fun.

So today I check the fence real well to make sure all is well. Whoosh goes the tire on the quad, what the heck?! ::) Hidden in the grass was the remainder of a broken off fence post, 4 ft from the existing fence (how'd that get there?). It's sunday, can't get it fixed till tuesday.

So I try something else, and I put a log on the mill with the tractor. As I am backing up to the mill, I press the righthand brake. SNAP goes the rod connecting the pedal to the brake >:(

I decided to quit before I break anything else :D
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Warbird

Yikes.  Time to take a day off!

JohnG28

Sorry to hear you had a rough weekend.  I think something was telling you to take some time to relax and skip the work.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

paul case

mom said there would be days like this.
dont worry  about it. if you had never used the tractor or the quad then you wouldnt have ever discovered the bad battery nor the bad air in the tire! things only break when you use them.
btw if you didnt run over the sawmill everythings going to be ok! ;D  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

ScottAR

It happens sometimes... Cheer up, it'll get worse...

hopefully helpful hint... if the battery has the screw on caps,  one row of caps equals six volt, two rows of caps equals twelve volt.
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

tyb525

I learned you can tell by the group size. But since I wasn't looking for a specific group size (who knows what it is, the tractor is a '69), I just picked the cheapest one that had a similar amp rating to the old one. Now I know! Thanks Scott, I didn't know that was a way to tell.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

WDH

Time to take a break and stay in the house!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Carpenter

Just fix what you can and move on.  Don't sweat the small stuff.  You didn't run into the mill when the brakes failed right?  Even if you did that's fixeable.  I hope the rest of your weekend goes better.

tyb525

Nah the mill's fine, I was using the brake to turn sharper, not to slow down. Thankfully nothing major broke, just a lot of pain-in-the-butt things. Tomorrow I'm just gonna take it easy. And see what it will take to fix that connecting rod.

JV

An old co-worker of mine used to put it best in his slow, easy drawl,

"Some days ya just can't lay up a dime."
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

paul case

Quote from: ScottAR on May 29, 2011, 11:40:17 PM
It happens sometimes... Cheer up, it'll get worse...

hopefully helpful hint... if the battery has the screw on caps,  one row of caps equals six volt, two rows of caps equals twelve volt.
that is 3 individual caps( small round ones) is 6 volt and 6 caps is 12 v. some have row caps  that have 3 holes under each cap. same thing goes 3 holes = 6v .

that tractor of yours has one of those long thin batteries right?
i never had any luck with those. they had a 90 day warranty when we were using those and at day 93 they would die. they cost just a little more than a car battery too. i bent the lip on the edge of the box down and put a car battery in and no more trooubles. that was on a gas 706 farmall. i eventually did build a box for it but it was a lot easier to keep up with when a battery out of anything would fit. pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

trapper

The long thin battery is what my lt30 takes also.  Last one I got reconditioned at a battery shop.  Two years now but dont use the mill much.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!