iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

2011 Pig Roast Thread (now the RSVP Thread Please let us know if you might come)

Started by Jeff, May 28, 2011, 12:18:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Hey! It's time to start planning if you have not.  This morning the count down to the left says only 70 days to go.  For us, that's like the day after tomorrow. :D   Really, this year is going to be a challenge for the one and a third armed dude, but we'll be ready.   I'll keep this first post updated as needed and link the countdown to the left under the sponsors to this thread. Nothing to really add at the moment other than its getting close!  Who's planning on coming?

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Norm

We're coming this year unless I get hit by a bus in the meantime.  :D

Don't tell Burl but we're going to stop by his place on the way up.  ;D

Oh and need me to bring anything?

Jeff

Shotgun

Disappointment for Mary and I. We've been to every roast, except one, so this will be our second miss. The reason for missing is my 50 year graduation celebration from the Michigan Technological University School of Forestry. Mary was there with me. It's located about 350 miles from the site of the pig roast. I have known for a several years that it would conflict with the pig roast, as the reunion always includes includes the 1st Saturday in August, the same as the pig roast.  It's always fun to meet long time Forestry Forum members for the first time, as well as meeting long time attendees again, and again. Sorry we'll be missing Norm & Patty, and probably a number of other folks that we'd really like to have the pleasure of meeting, as the attendee list grows. The one roast that we missed was because I was at the MTU reunion with our son.

Since Ron Scott and I were in the same class in forestry school, it's pretty likely that he and Jan will be at our class reunion as well. They probably haven't missed any of the pig roasts.

I am pleased that I can still do what I am doing in life after 50 years after college (hunting, fishing, canoeing, four times a week tennis, maintaining two homes, etc.), and I am confident that Ron is as well.

So, we're sad  :(  not to not be able to make it this time, but happy  ;D that all will gather again. We wish Lefty and Tammy well.  They always do a fantastic job of making a great pig roast and making everybody feel welcome. They go all out!

Don't miss the pig roast if you can possibly make it. It's worth traveling a long ways to attend. You'll not regret it. Thanks, Jeff & Tammy for all that you do.

Norm & Mary 
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

LeeB

I've just about given up ever being able to make it, but if my rotation should happen to change I will come. Not gonna hold my breath though.  :(
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

ellmoe

I think that I'll make it for the first time this year. My Mother has never been in that part of the country and made a deal with Dad to go up there this summer (she has to go to his class reunion in Texas). As an invitee I said sure, but that I'd want to treat for lunch one day. Jeff, got room at the table for a couple more? ;D

Mark
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Jeff

Magicman

Pat and I are planning to come, but I may need some adult supervision.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Dan_Shade

last year, we used DanG, Marcel, and Raider Bill for adult supervision
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ellmoe

Quote from: Dan_Shade on May 28, 2011, 10:50:31 PM
last year, we used DanG, Marcel, and Raider Bill for adult supervision

:o
Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

Texas Ranger

Is that what they did?  More like adult probation!!!!!!!!!!! 8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Kansas

If a person was to plan for this, what city would they come into by air? And what would be the nearest town for hotel/motel rooms.

DR_Buck

Odd number year and so many other things currently on the 'to-do' or 'go-to' lists that's it likely Kitty and I will miss this year.  We are planning on being at the October Paul Bunyon & Sawmill Shootout in Cambridge OH.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jeff

Quote from: Kansas on May 29, 2011, 09:54:04 AM
If a person was to plan for this, what city would they come into by air? And what would be the nearest town for hotel/motel rooms.

Saginaw is the closest. Exactly one hour from our place. Cheaper to fly into detroit, but you have a 3 hour drive from there. Clare and Harrison are the closest for lodging. Clare is only 15 minutes, we are in Harrison. Harrison only has small mom and pop places, Clare has chain hotels and some other larger ones.  Houghton lake is a half hour away. Largest inland lake in Michigan outside of the great lakes. It has many hotels as well.

Norm

Jeff do you have a list like in years past for lodging?

This will be the first time in 11 years we've taken off more than a couple of days. Patty was just a bit surprised when she opened this thread. I told her we are finally going to travel without having to be somewhere at a certain time, except Saturday of course.  :)

Jeff

There is one place I won't be recommending after last year and that is the lakeside motel. I think a google search of clare or harrison should return a bunch of options, If you see something intreaging, let me know first before you contact them so I can tell you what I know about it. There are some places in Harrison that I feel are not worthy of a forum member.

Mooseherder

You may not want to stay at the Deer Tick place either. ;D
When we got there Tammy and Stacy asked us where we were staying.
Then they said we'll find you another place and did.
We stayed uptown at the same place Burlkraft and Jill were at.

Pigman had to tell a couple fellers something but I only caught the tailend of it. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrCwB5MuL0U

Kansas

You aren't going to believe this. But I just did an Expedia search from Kansas City to Saginaw, and one from Kansas City to Detroit. To Saginaw is 332 dollars. Detroit is 360. That is with a stop in Detroit. And you wonder why the airlines continue to lose money.

pigman

The Lakeside Motel is a fine place to stay. I would just make sure to check every little detail of the room for any damage as you check in and make sure the management checks the room for any damage before you check out. ::)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DouginUtah

Quote from: Kansas on May 29, 2011, 11:44:52 AM
You aren't going to believe this. But I just did an Expedia search from Kansas City to Saginaw, and one from Kansas City to Detroit. To Saginaw is 332 dollars. Detroit is 360. That is with a stop in Detroit. And you wonder why the airlines continue to lose money.

Try flying to Grand Rapids. It is $197.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Kevin

Sounds like you overdosed on pork and started busting things up when you got back to your room, eh?  :D

Quote from: pigman on May 29, 2011, 01:40:19 PM
The Lakeside Motel is a fine place to stay. I would just make sure to check every little detail of the room for any damage as you check in and make sure the management checks the room for any damage before you check out. ::)

beenthere

Pigman
Maybe parking the broom outside would be a good idea.... ::) ::)     ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

doctorb

I was certainly counting on attending my first pig roast this year.  I had already done a search on lodging and air flights.

My problem is that I had to move up my total hip replacement from next year to this because the symptoms have progressed pretty rapidly.  Anyway, I will be about 5 weeks post-op when the pig roast convenes, and that may be a little soon for a flight, long drive, meeting strangers I already know, and drinking a few beers.  Maybe not.  So I have to play it by ear this year.  Sorry I can't fully commit, as I was looking forward to meeting my many friends in person.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Jeff

I'm hoping you progress quickly. If not, we'll count on you for the next time. :)

paul case

unfortunately, i plan to hurt my leg by the first of august(jumping for joy over being done putting up hay for this year) and have planned to go to california to visit some very good friends while i am healing up. maybe i will be able to convince the little missus to go next year?   pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Thank You Sponsors!