TimberKing Sawmills

The Largest Inventory of Used Chainsaw Parts in the World

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Wood Processing equpment. Splitters, Processors, Conveyors

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Comstock Logging

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

FARMA

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Recovering from Fishtailing  (Read 11757 times)

Offline DouginUtah

• Senior Member x2
  • You can't always have a tailwind, sometimes it's going to be a headwind.
    • Doug Sherwin's Homepage
Recovering from Fishtailing
« on: May 26, 2012, 12:20:00 am »

I got trapped in a traffic jam this afternoon on the I-15 freeway. A 2500 Chevy extended cab pulling a large toy-hauler started to fishtail and ended up with the toy-hauler on it's side and the truck flipped several times and the roof pretty much ended up crushed down to the seat tops. Traffic was moving right along at 65+ MPH. Life-threatening injuries.

In the comments (on KSL.com) a guy said when you start to fishtail step on the gas as the trailer is trying to pass you. I don't believe that, but I thought I would ask if anyone can state authoritatively what the best plan of action is when fishtailing starts.
-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Offline Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
Re: Recovering from Fishtailing
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 12:46:48 am »
Using a bit of gas will usually straighten you out...

This of course depends on you having some place to go, without slowing down.

I've had to use it once, towing a friends race car on a trailer. Coming down a long, steep, but straight hill. Let the speed build up a little more than I should, and lightly touched the brakes. Trailer gave the first signs of starting to fishtail, so I got back on the gas and it straightened up instantly.

Luckily there was a big sweeping corner at the bottom of the hill that we cruised around at about 90mph, then just coasted the speed off on the flat.

If we had HAD to stop, things would have gotten VERY exciting.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline DouginUtah

• Senior Member x2
  • You can't always have a tailwind, sometimes it's going to be a headwind.
    • Doug Sherwin's Homepage
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2012, 12:49:41 am »

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 01:14:56 am »
I'd agree with that advice.
And thankfully a semi truck driver knew how to do that, or I'd a been wiped off a slippery road when helping with a car accident. Around a curve came the semi and as he slowed (seeing lights in the ditch) the trailer started coming around him. He poured the gas to it and pulled the rig straight again.

Is really the only alternative one has to save it.
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline ely

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 01:42:57 am »
x3

Offline bill m

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 07:58:23 am »
You can also manually activate the trailer brakes with the brake controller while keeping light pressure on the gas pedal.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 08:08:35 am »
I realize this is about "recovering", but "prevention" is so easily overlooked.  A tail heavy trailer is an accident waiting to happen.  That toy hauler probably had an ATV strapped in it's rear end.

I wonder what the new trucks with the computer controlled anti-sway, etc. gizmos will do.  Maybe just allow you to go faster and then really have a wreck.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Online Dan_Shade

• Senior Member x2
  • I don't want to edit my profile!
    • Shade Custom Sawing
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 08:42:24 am »
giving it gas, or activating the trailer brakes can help.  my brake controller has a button that I can hit to engage the trailer brake without the truck brakes.

proper tongue weight is critical for safe towing, but the most important safety device lies between one's ears.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Online Corley5

• Senior Member x2
  • Wolverine, Michigan
    • Whittaker Farms
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 09:09:05 am »
An old log truck driver told me years ago when we were talking about trailers swaying and jack knifing to "drop a gear and give it he**".  That would straighten it out.  :) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Offline scsmith42

• Senior Member x2
  • He who dies with the most toys... WINS!!!
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2012, 09:19:05 am »
giving it gas, or activating the trailer brakes can help.  my brake controller has a button that I can hit to engage the trailer brake without the truck brakes.

proper tongue weight is critical for safe towing, but the most important safety device lies between one's ears.

+1000 on all counts.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Offline Qweaver

• Senior Member x2
  • The cabin is done and we love it
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2012, 11:26:28 pm »
High polar moment of inertia coupled with springs rhythmically  loading and unloading  spell bad times for the driver.  Iíve usually just slowly let the rig slow down and that has always worked for me.    But I always try to catch it before it gets bad.  Iíve never had a problem with a properly loaded trailer.  My wife got a double trailer pull totally sideway after falling asleep and was able to recover it.  But the trailers were properly loaded and she drove race cars sideways for years.  Makes a difference knowing  that just because you are sideways does not mean that you are out of control.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Offline Polly

• I'm new!
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2012, 03:30:15 pm »
 :) :)   i probly have seen over a half dozen car pickup pulling trailer accidents over the years ,like the gentelman above so accurately stated ,load your trailer heavy enough in the front so you  see can the rear end of the veichle it is hooked to start to squate that way the towing vehicle is in control ,otherwise the trailer is , kinda like the tail wagging the dog  ::) ::)

Offline Sprucegum

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2012, 03:54:11 pm »
First-time trailer towers should also be told to quit looking in the mirror. They see the trailer sway a bit and over correct - it escalates from there.

I watched a young fellow towing a heavy load of drill stems behind a half-ton. He started fishtailing on loose gravel. The trailer eventually chased him in the ditch where it tipped over. Everything was almost at a stand-still when the torque on the hitch flipped the truck on its side. The young fellow popped out of the side window and landed in the middle of the road like a cork out of a pop gun  :D  :D  He had a good lesson that day  ;)

Offline SPIKER

• Senior Member x2
  • I'm new!
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2012, 10:52:19 am »
Came close to having one fish tail issue towing a independent suspension car on a dolly behind my F150.   Front wheels were on ground (rear wheel t-bird) hit a bridge in corner where it bottomed out suspension in car and caused it to twist about a lot little gas and kept the turn going came out good...

mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Offline Polly

• I'm new!
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2012, 08:05:07 am »
 :( :( the last one i seen was on i-75 south of atlanta , traffic backed up several miles , when i finally got to the accident a mina van towing a home made trailer with a full sixe pick up on the trailer was off the road over in the area between the north and south lanes the trailer on its side pick up still hanging on mina- van still on its feet ,kinda felt sorry for the fellow trying to save himself a dime , probly cost a grand by the time towing co and georga police got done with him  :( :( :( 8)