iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old time porch swing

Started by Polly, May 27, 2012, 03:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Polly

::)does anyone have any idea where i can find a 4ft cedar porch swing like everyone had back in the 50-s , local omish have big fancy ones that do everything but sing you to sleep startng at 300 on up , box stores the chinese verson you would be afraid to set in ,i am looking for one that has contured seat and back with or without the hardware , there used to be a hardware store in maysville that sold like i am looking for but the store told me the man that made them had sawed off two fingers and was no longer able to work anyone got any suggestions  :) :) 8)

Don_Papenburg

Polly I think you might have to build the swing yourself .  I have nbot seen one with a curved back since i was  kid long ago . It was my grandfathers
All the swings I have seen at the stores have flat backs and or questionable workmanship
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ironwood

I have been able to pick up old ones at the flea markets. I use it outside under a tree, so they only last a few years. I just got one last week $20, it will last 2-3 year left out in the elements.

I WANT to WELD one up that will last my lifetime, just cant seem to find any extra time in my days.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Clam77

My grandparents had a curved-back one like that when I was a kid... it hung on the front porch of their old farmhouse- lasted for years until the farm got sold when I was almost out of high school.   

Don't know what kind of wood it was but it always looked and worked pretty good from what i remember..  I think it was hand-made with native wood though.  They had alot of oak, hickory, walnut, hedge, and cherry growing around the farm.
Andy

Stihl 009, 028, 038, 041, MS362
Mac 1-40, 3-25

rbhunter

I found some plans on the internet and made one.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Polly

:)i think i might have found one , my brother said the mennonite community near claysville ky had them for sale ,i am going today to find out , ::)

Thank You Sponsors!