iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I got kicked out of minneapolis helping tornado victims news video

Started by MikeH, May 27, 2011, 01:43:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fuzzybear

I could say something but then it would get moved to the wood shed :-X
Good for you for trying to make a differance. Shame on the ruling body of Minneapolis.
FB
I never met a tree I didn't like!!

Tom

Ah! the power of the Bureaucracies.  Give a peon a pencil and they become a dictator.  It just goes to show how few people really have any trust.  They would find you doing something "wrong" even if it were removing "Free" logs.

I've been turned away from enough volunteer work in my day that I no longer volunteer.

Ernie

It looks like you need to grease the appropriate palms to even volunteer. I wonder how many backhanders it would take if you wanted to charge for your services.  She didn't by chance have a small square black mustache and a teutonic accent did she >:(
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Jeff

Well what a bunch of crud. Were proud of you Mike, no matter what. Thanks for being one of the good guys.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Patty

WOW.  >:(    Minneapolis should be ashamed of themselves. 

Good for you Mike, trying to help. I am proud to know you.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Norm

The mayor is a moron and the city inspector and cops need to be fired.

As for you Mike way to go for being a great guy!

red oaks lumber

so now its every one is guilty until proven innicent.
good for you for tryin
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

scsmith42

Mike, you can't help but shake your head at the lack of common sense routinely displayed by public officials.

Case in point – my wife is a licensed veterinarian who operates a non-profit spay-neuter assistance program.  Six years ago, immediately after Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans and Mississippi, she packed up one of our mobile hospitals and headed to Louisiana in order to assist with providing health care to pets being rescued from in and around New Orleans.

Two days after she arrived, and after putting in a couple of 18 hour days at a large holding center treating starving and wounded animals, the State of Louisiana issued a cease and desist order against her and the other out-of-state volunteer veterinarians because they weren't licensed to practice medicine in Louisiana.  The order stated that they would be allowed to do menial chores such as cleaning up kennels...

Laureen packed up the mobile hospital and headed over to Mississippi, where she was welcomed with open arms.  Two days later Louisiana rescinded their previous order, but the magnitude of stupidity displayed by the officials is inconceivable.

Kudo's to you for volunteering to assist others in their time of need.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Gary_C

Good for you Mike. I am sure proud of you for doing that, even if it did not go so well.

But that whole episode doesn't surprise me in Minneapolis. I have been watching that tornado story on channel 5 since the tornado came thru and I knew I could sure help if I brought my equipment down there to help clear those trees. But I knew that in Minneapolis I would probably get the same treatment you got. Those tree huggers in Minneapolis will chain themselves to trees even on highway improvement projects.

On channel 5 news they have been talking a lot about how people are helping neighbors after that tornado, but that north Minneapolis area is a rather poor area and I suspect very few of the people have the chainsaws and the expertise to remove those big downed trees. So I guess the city is going to foot the bill and get the job done quickly if they are throwing out good help.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ron Scott

~Ron

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

D Hagens

I had to watch that twice and I'm still shaking my head! Here's a guy with no intentions but to volunteer, shows up with the knowledge, the right tools and equipment and he gets turned away ??? ???
Hey Mike if you see me on the side of the road with a flat please don't pull over and help me........wouldn't want you to go through that again ::)

chain

Sounds familiar. I once got kicked off our own farm by police who had no jurisdiction on our out of town private property. They had the glocks, I had a tractor. Some lady had a seizure and veered off the highway running down a quarter mile of crop before diving into a large drainage canal. I could have pulled her out but, oh, no! The fire department, the sheriff deputies, and emergency rescue squad vehilcles all  came barrelng in, an rode down more crops. The ony agency who cared was the Missouri Highway patrol who offered the damage report...only from the vehicle in the ditch. I let it all pass.

Just recently during the heighth of the flood the local authorities were searching for a missing woman on and near our farm. My wife and I stopped to ask about the activity and was told curtly they were searching for someone and would let us know on the public news release.'O'KAY!' we thought, just go ahead and wade the mud and get soaking wet in the driving rain but we could give you some info to help out if you were not being such a egotistical smart-butt! So, we went on to church and coming home the searchers were still at it. They were spreading the search out as they had found her shoes[according to the police scanner] well, we called and reported that the very night before when she became missing, someone came to our door at 2:oo a.m. rang the doorbell once and quietly stood out from and to the side of the door. We never answer a after mid-night door bell; but finally the individual walked straight up our drive into the light of our yard night-lites and on out toward a hi-way; we realized this individual appeared to be a female. This info we reported to the sheriff and ended the nearly twelve hour search, as the woman was found safe in the next town up the hi-way!

Texas Ranger

Be proud you made the effort, and understand authority has it that way.  I may have told the story about when the shuttle went down in east Texas.  The impact area was 30 miles  wide by some 60 long, loggers and forester (my crew as well) volunteered to help in the search, and were told to stay out of the area.

this is in wet and hot east Texas.  So, they NASA  types and astranauts in rayon jump suits, Department of Public Safety in full uniform, USDA types in full NOMEX, and the ones that know the woods were turned away.

We were marking a tract on the south edge of the field, dressed like we do in the woods, do rags, millitary camos, not shaved, hot, paint spattered, sitting on a  log pumping up guns when the brush parted and a forester from usda in Ohio  parted the brush and was startled by these guys in woods gear, he was in full NOMEX, didn't have a helmet or face shield, but you get the picture,  NOMEX was soaking wet and they carried no water, two more foresters should up the same way, followed by a line of Indians from Arizona.  All red faced and about wore out, at 10:00 in the morning.

They found nothing on the tract, and we ended up finding stuff.

So it goes.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Chuck White

Thanks for being one of the good guys Mike!

Too bad some people don't think before they speak or act!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

rbhunter

Thanks for volunteering.

I am always amazed by some of the things our government officials do in the name of helping. I cannot figure out how we could have such a large government debt with these people in charge.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

mike,

you keep trying to help folks.
this world is a better place because of folks like you who will help those in their time of need.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

beenthere

Mike
Good on you for giving it a good attempt to help. Now you know better next time. Send the city a bill for your time and equipment costs. See what their reaction is.

Two friends went to New Orleans this winter. One a roofer/carpenter and the other a concrete contractor. They were told their skills were needed and because their winter projects were slow, they went down. They were put into one home to tape, mud, and sand drywall joints. That was fine with them, until the young kid Gov't inspector kept walking around with a light and pointing out minute blemishes and requesting they re-do their work. Which they did for the entire time they were there. They felt the whole trip was wasted and their help not really wanted. They saw plenty of real work they could have done, but were denied the chance.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redbeard

Way to go Mike theres a reason your company has a A-one rating Your a professional and honest person just wanting to help out a community in need. Thanks for your efforts
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

customsawyer

Good on ya Mike. Sometimes you can't match wits with a unarmed person.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Cedarman

I have noticed that every time there is a local crisis, so called authorities  "puff up".
This is their chance to use their "so called" authority.  When the tornado hit Marengo 7 years ago Memorial Day, we took our skid steer into town to help out.  First dude stopped us and said we couldn't go on.  I said we need to get trees off a road and get people out.  His brain came on and he let us go.
True professionals know their business and get on with it.

Good for you Mike.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Bibbyman

I suspect you were cutting into the FEMA money some people expected to make from a cleanup. 

A couple of our biggest logging outfits in our area travel all over doing FEMA cleanup work after hurricanes and the big ice storms, etc.  They are gone months at a time.  I suspect they make out well doing this work.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Magicman

It is very difficult for selfish and suspicious people to understand volunteerism.  It just does not compute in their narrow minded brains.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!