iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sycamore Flooring?

Started by Magicman, May 27, 2011, 08:10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

I'm a big fan of those mixed floors myself. The contrast of the mixed woods actually seems to highlight the uniqueness of each individual species that much more.

scsmith42

The secret to minimizing degrade on sycamore is as follows:

1 - get a high quality end sealer on the ends of the logs the same day that they are felled.

2 - mill the logs ASAP after felling, quartersawing as much if not all of the wood.

3 - DO NOT AIR DRY!  Instead, get the boards into a low temperature kiln ASAP after milling.

When FF member Dad2nine and I have milled/dried QS Sycamore together, our degrade has been very low - probably less than 2%.

It helps if you do the felling and milling in the fall/winter/early spring too.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 31, 2011, 09:45:44 AM
It helps if you do the felling and milling in the fall/winter/early spring too.

But it's early summer and the Magicwoman is cracking the whip!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Magicman

I did a bit of looking   :o  There is one 24"+ Sycamore that I can fairly easily harvest.  It has vines and I can't see what length logs will be available.  The other available Sycamores are in the 15" range which will not yield much QS.

After I get the roof on the Cabin Addition, I'll concentrate on the flooring logs.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hackberry jake

I am thinking about doing the same thing Magic. Did you ever follow through on the sycamore flooring? And how did it turn out?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

tule peak timber

Never tried it for flooring , but I've done quite a bit as T&G wall paneling. Rob
persistence personified - never let up , never let down

WDH

Quartersawn sycamore flooring would be a dramatic statement.  However, that would not be foreign to you, Sir, as you recently made a very dramatic statement on here. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: WDH on April 11, 2015, 08:00:43 PM
Quartersawn sycamore flooring would be a dramatic statement.  However, that would not be foreign to you, Sir, as you recently made a very dramatic statement on here.

Yes, but he did make a good point!

Herb

WDH

An excellent one, in my opinion  :D. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

A little technical info.  The hardness of southern oka is 1060 pounds.  Sycamore, 770 pounds.  However, you might also ask "what hardness do I need?"  Maybe 770 pounds is hard enough for a floor...I think that at 770 pounds, it is hard enough to serve well.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Magicman

Quote from: hackberry jake on April 11, 2015, 10:14:52 AM
I am thinking about doing the same thing Magic. Did you ever follow through on the sycamore flooring? And how did it turn out? 
Actually I did not follow through on the Sycamore flooring.  I used flat sawn SYP

1"X6" flat sawn non T&G SYP sub-flooring.

House wrap, and then various widths of T&G SYP.
Yes it is softer and easily dents, but it was available, quick, and this is "only" a Cabin.

Min-Wax Special Walnut stain and a coat of Poly.  (camera lens fogged up)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WmFritz

Lynn, that turned out very nice. How did you fasten the planking?
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

2½" 15 ga. finish nails randomly shot at an angle into the subflooring.  Not blind through the tongue as normal but surface nailed.

WmFritz

They're 'hidden' well enough to my eyes. I like it.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Magicman

In the beginning I had a pattern going, but I abandoned it when I realized that the pattern could be easily seen.  I could go back with a wood filler, but what the heck, it is "just a Cabin".

tule peak timber

Magicman

Thanks for the comments.  When the sawing slacks off, I need to get back to my Cabin Addition that is waiting for me.  The flooring on that project will be flat sawn Ash.

tule peak timber

Make sure to use your Biobore or other timber treatment to fend off powderpost beetles . Ash for me is the number one bug magnate !

Magicman

Thanks.  I used Timbor which is what I sprayed on all of the SYP lumber that I used on the Cabin Addition.   :)

tule peak timber

hackberry jake

I think hickory is my biggest bug magnet.

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Mine is pecan, and pecan is a hickory, so mine must be hickory, too  ;D.

Magicman

So it must be the Devil and his Wife?   ???

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

hackberry jake

What flooring dimensions would be the most stable? Longer or shorter? Wide or narrow? I have made flooring once and we kept all the lengths 4' and shorter. This made machining much easier, but would it give the flooring too much leverage if it decided to move?

Thank You Sponsors!