firewood processor

Started by Tam-i-am, May 26, 2011, 09:15:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tam-i-am

Here is video of the last project Kevin and Mark Havel have been working on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Fx1k1iGH9w

Tammy
Get Stuff Moving Today!  www.bluecreeper.com  www.facebook.com/Bluecreeper

Dan_Shade

awesome!

are you going to have different models?

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

beenthere

I like it.  8)

Looks very well designed and efficient.

I'd better give a call. Have the log stack started.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DR_Buck

Now that's cool.  Is it portable?   When will it be in full production?
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Tam-i-am

Dan

yes there will be different models.  The base model will only include the splitter and two tables one input and output.  Last year I split all our wood on just the base unit.  Kevin would prep the wood and dump a bucket load on the input table.  I would split and our two boys would off load and stack.  I could split faster than Kevin could feed and buried the boys on the other end too.  So with nothing to do, I would resplit pieces for fun, this made more pieces for the boys to stack but they could not complain it was too heavy.   ;D

You can add the chunk lifter as your first add on.  Or get all the rigging and get the two extra tables for log lifting.  Next and not on the video is log yarding.  You will be able to not only load full logs onto the unit but bring them to the unit.  For yarding our prefered method is to hook the log up to  junior and let the capstan winch pull the junior in. However, I suppose you could drag the log into the unit.

Yes it folds up and trailers down the road, so Dan when you come to Boonville to meet the girls this year you can trailer a unit home with you!

DR_Buck
The answer is NOW NOW NOW.  So can I sign you up for the works?

Tammy

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Tamiam on May 27, 2011, 06:35:54 AM

I would split and our two boys would off load and stack.  I could split faster than Kevin could feed and buried the boys on the other end too.

That brings a flash from the past. Just think of a conveyor of potatoes, and a hopper of potatoes to be bagged, weighed and stacked.  The old man didn't know "slow down", that was cue to work faster. :D

Nice concept on the firewood processor. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ronwood

How well does it handle  wood with a lot of knots or crouches?

Ron
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Tam-i-am

We get a lot of our wood for free from treeservice guys.  Well when it is free you can imagine what it looks like.  That's right we get the stuff too big for the chipper and processor but not a saw log.  Nasty stuff.  The splitter had no problem.  Some time it would take an extra whack but it went through everything we put in it.

In the video you saw two different models.  The first one where they were working together and loading the log is one model.  The man with the plaid red shirt had a different model.  He did not have the two extra side tables to hold the log to be bucked and he did not have the spooling to pull up the log.  The base model is not shown in the video.

I will have to shoot more video as I forgot to show you the coolest part.  The splitter can be turned around and the output table moved to the other side so that you can split left or right.  Depending on your woodlot and terrain this can come in very handy!

As for the engine, it is a 4.5 hp Subaru gas engine, but we can put an 1 hp electric motor on it.

DR_Buck

Quote from: Tamiam on May 27, 2011, 06:35:54 AM

Yes it folds up and trailers down the road, so Dan when you come to Boonville to meet the girls this year you can trailer a unit home with you!

DR_Buck
The answer is NOW NOW NOW.  So can I sign you up for the works?

Tammy

I'm going to borrow Dan's    :D :D :D :D :D

Don't see it on the web page yet.   What's the base unit price?   Probably won't get to see one until Sawlex.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Jasperfield

Tamiam,

Good job! And, it's good to have a husband that will work.

I see Super Split, Portable Winch, and Logrite's design capability all combined. I know this product will be a winner. Get the price point right and you'll be doing some hiring. Logrite is innovative to say the least.

Tam-i-am

Sorry I have not got the video of the splitter turning around yet.  I will do it after our road trip.  We are bringing the processor to PA Forest Products Show in State College, PA this weekend.

Pierre
We OEM the splitter part from Super Split.  We make a few modifications to it to meet our spec and then build the rest of the unit around it.  No point in reinventing the wheel.

John Mc

I can't find any information about this on your web site yet. Am I missing something, or are you still far enough from production that you are not publicizing it at this point?

Any idea on pricing yet?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Dave Shepard

Excellent use of the capstan. Replacing hydraulic pumps, cylinders and valves with a piece of rope. 8) I saw a Super Split working at the NEFPE at the Big E in '02, I think. I was surprised at the knotty stuff it would pop apart with ease.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

CT Trapper

I am about 45 minutes from you and am interested in this.
I will call the number listed.

Jasperfield

Are y'all going to bring the new splitter to the Paul Bunion show?

Tam-i-am

We took the processor to Boonville this weekend.  Good show.  I got video of some knotty stuff and hope to get it up for you to see soon.

Jasperfield - yes, the plan is for Kevin to bring it down to Bunyan this year.

Tam-i-am

Here is the new improved video or the full story.  It now includes turning it left or right and gnarly wood like I promised.  But it also has some footage of us yarding the log to the splitter, this clip is brought to you by Hurricane Irene. ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zAEps8cCxs

I hope you enjoy my new video.

John Mc

Nice video. It's great to see someone show their splitter working on "real-world" wood. We don't all have woodlots full of clear pine and white ash that splits if you look at it too hard.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

zopi

Did you guys get a price list out on this stuff...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tam-i-am

where was this clip when I was making the long video?

I shot this video and was going to post it to answer your questions and then got distracted and lost it.  But it magically appeared last night when I was hunting for something else.  So it is nothing fancy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Tlg58hMG1Q

Tam-i-am

Zopi

the base splitter is $5800 and you can add on parts until you have the complete processor for $9800.