iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are my options?

Started by customsawyer, May 26, 2011, 07:24:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

customsawyer

I have several saws that I have ran for years and I just bought a new MS261 Stihl that is to replace the MS260 That my hired man decided to bust into little bitty chunks. This saw is a dog! I am not going to say that all MS261 saws are dogs but this one is. It is slow on the the throttle response and doesn't have half of the power of the MS260. So my question is since I have owned this saw for less than a month can I just return it with out my dealer having to take the hit or does it come out of his cut?   
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

chucker

buy an efco and be done with the problems! ?????
respect nature ! and she will produce for you !!  jonsered 625 670  2159 2171/28"  efco 147 husky 390xp/28" .375... 455r/auto tune 18" .58 gauge

thecfarm

Maybe and I say maybe,if you buy another bigger one from him. May have to talk to the company to get the deal done. Have you taken it back so he could adjust it,or is there any adjustment to it? Just thinking it may not be tuned right.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ed

I agree its probably a tuning issue, go see the dealer, have them check it out. Pretty unlikely its a dog, but that does happen from time to time, I had an 036 that was a real turd.

Ed

sawguy21

Stihl has a seven day from date of purchase return period. It might need tweaking now that it has a few hours on it, most come out of the box overly lean to satisfy the feds.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

tyb525

Probably all it needs is a simple carb adjustment.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

ScottAR

Might be the way they tune em.   I recently had my 026 at the shop for some work and they must have retuned the carb.
They did it without warming the saw up too as after a few cuts I had to adjust it so it would actually run with some rpms.
Died a few times at idle till I got it opened up some...Just a thought
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ladylake

I'd agree with the tuneing, a lot of new saws are coming set to lean which makes them doggy. Over on the other forum they say the 261 has quite a bit more power than the 260.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customsawyer

I took it back to the dealer the other day. I had tried to work with it several times over the past two weeks and adjusted the carb some after I had run about 5 or 6 tanks of fuel through it as I don't like to tweak them to much before the rings have had a chance to seat. One of the problems that I noticed is that the low end screw would keep vibrating loose. I will swing by the dealer today and see if I can learn anything.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

ladylake

In years past most new saws were set rich for break in, if they are now it's cuz a good dealer or you did it. Nodays I won't even run a saw untill I make sure it's not set to lean, also quite a few have limited coils which can fool you into thinking it's rich.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

customsawyer

Called the dealer yesterday and he said he had ordered a new carb so we will see if that fixes it.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

Just thought I would share what I have learned.
The new carb helped but it did not fix so I got to thinking that if the first carb had a problem than maybe the screen in the muffler (having a brain cramp and can't think of its name) was plugged so I pulled it out and the saw now runs like it should.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Buck

Jake, ya'll got dirt dobbers over there? You know where this is headed dont ya?
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Al_Smith

Oh you can't imagine how many people have problems because of a plugged screen or on the other end,a plugged air filter .

I could elaborate at great lengths  about removing the screen ,retuning the engine and just flat getting with it .I'll refrain from  that because the subject is just about ran around the clock forever . :)

customsawyer

I don't think the screen would have been a problem if the carb would have been good from the start but with a bad carb it just put to much carbon in the screen.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Al_Smith

Maybe ? I've never even seen a 261.That said it could possibely have been the high speed was set a tad too rich or in the case of a fixed jet the jet too large .

Whatever I guess it's just history now seeings the saw runs okay .

Thank You Sponsors!