iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lost my load

Started by weisyboy, May 26, 2011, 04:32:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weisyboy

lost 100 - 5x2x11' spotted gum fence rails off the trailer on the way down my driveway.

moving 2 ton of rails out from under the ute at 5.30 on your way to a BBQ isnt my idea of fun.

had 2 1.5 ton straps over them, done dead tight, never lost a load before and had then held down with much less.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

Chuck White

Definitely not a fun thing!  :-\
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Magicman

You gotta figure that since they came off, something about your strapping wasn't right.   :-\  Still a mess to clean up.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Ianab

Yup, you strap them down tight, then the load jiggles a bit and settles, loose straps and a heck of mess.

At least it didn't happen at the first set of lights on the main road  ;)

You see the truck drivers at the local pie shop walk around the rig and tweak all the straps to check they aren't working loose, but if they fall off before the pie shop... bummer

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Jeff

looks like you had to hit the skids pretty hard for some reason at a pretty good clip to have it all come forward like that.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

paul case

well on the bright side, i bet you were plenty hungry when you got to the bbq.

most best learned lessons come from experience. next load i bet you will think '' i better check that strap so i dont have to play pick up sticks''.

pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

beenthere

weisy
Here is how to strap 'em down. ;)  Get'n this load ready to cross the big troll bridge into lower MI

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Chris Burchfield

I know it's not saw boards but, I've had boomers on chain holding down logs that would loosen up after hitting a few bumps in the road.  I'll hit a few bumps intentionally when starting out, stop, tighten when needed.  Giving the logs a chance to sift down on the trailer.  I was afraid of loosing a load of logs along the road even though I wired the boomers for the ride.  It's a bit of a pain but, I cut and installed standards with 1 1/2 X 16" oak, the length of my trailer three boards tall.  The trailer is an 18' dove tail bumper pull Top Hat by brand with loading ramps rated for 9500 lbs.  I drag the logs off off the back with a Ford 4000 after letting the ramps down.  If I'm not using the log loading arch off the rear, I get track hoes to load the trailer on job sites.  I load fire wood or sawn board from the rear by hand as I don't have equipment like an FEL or forklift for sawn boards.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

terrifictimbersllc

Too bad, but better it happen in your driveway than somewhere else. ::) ::)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

texican

Lucky it happened where it did!  Could have been 'bad' if it'd'a happened out on the highway!!!

I had 2 simultaneous flats once with a full load of cypress... couldn't get the jack to 'stick' as I was on the side of a road, just off the pavement.  Finally went and got another trailer, backed it up to the old one, unhitched, went around and hooked the trailer up to my front bumper, and used the winch to pull the buggered trailer up on the good one.  I got 'lots' of looks by passing traffic.

Learnt my lesson, get better tires for the trailer, and make sure to kick the tires before putting a load on.

Don_Papenburg

Yep a load setting like that on the hiway makes officer friendly smile  ;D Then he writes up his report and hands you a copy of the outline of his report . That makes his smile bigger.
  Better to off load in your driveway . :)
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

mechengineer13

Beenthere, are you suggesting by your picture that we find someone that looks like Jeff, plop them on top of the load, and that will prevent it from shifting?   :o

beenthere

Quote from: mechengineer13 on May 26, 2011, 11:00:43 PM
Beenthere, are you suggesting by your picture that we find someone that looks like Jeff, plop them on top of the load, and that will prevent it from shifting?   :o

Why I couldn't even imagine that........ :D :D :D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mechengineer13

Quote from: beenthere on May 26, 2011, 11:06:20 PM

Ppppphhheeeewwww!  I'll keep quiet and maybe Jeff won't notice.   :-X

weisyboy

there were 2 packs, each with 50 rails, straped with 2 1/2" steel straps, that were hammered during tightening, the packs were put on the trailer, ontop of dunage, pushed together and straped with 2, 1.5ton tie down straps.

im thinking because the rear deck of the trailer was missing i hit a bump causing the dunnage to fall threw the trailer allowing the timber to drop and making the straps lose.

the driveway is pretty darn steep, the right (drivers side) pack came lose and hit the back of the ute, so i braked, bad idea, that caused the second pack to fly fowards, stil straped up and slam into the back.

so i got 2 broken tial ligths some dinted tool boxes and a bent tailboard, and some excersize, sometimes things just happen.

god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia

thecfarm

That's a lot of work to do twice. I suppose you thought of it,anyway to put a headboard on front of the trailer.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wintergreen Mountain

weisyboy

I always say "A Job done Two Times, is Twice as good of a job done ".
1920 Ford 4x4 tractor, forks & bucket. 2010 36" Turner Mills band mill. Cat-Claw blade sharpener. Cat-Claw Dual Tooth Setter. Cat D3 crawler dozer. Cat 215c excavator, Ford L9000 dump truck. Gardner Denver 190 portable air compressor. KatoLight 40Kw trailer mounted gen set. Baker M412 4-head planer.

weisyboy

it didnt take as long to load them back on as i thught, still wasnt fun.

cant have a headboard as most loads stick over the front of the trailer.

supose i could do a removeable one.

Ted J

I witnessed a trucker here in Houston hauling a full load of 2x6x10's pallets stacked double high with one lone pallet on the front top center of the load. As he was merging into traffic he had to hit the brakes and 1/4 of the pallet went shooting over the cab and into the rear window of a small SUV. The pallet was more or less intact on the outside, most of the inner boards were missing. IF the trucker had tarped that one pallet........?

Troublermaker

I could tell you a lots of story about losing your load when I when haul lumber for about 10 years. Here are a couple.

Back about 30 years ago I was hauling lumber out to the western part of Pennsylvania to 1 of the steel mills when I came up on a traffic stop that was at the botton of a steep hill. So I get out of the truck and go up to see what the hold up was. It seem that a steel hauler was hauling rebar. He didn't have a head board on the trailer. Some of the rebar had broken lose and when he slam on the brakes 1 bar shot ahead thru the back of a R model Mack and thru the driver. It kill him on the spot.

One time a buddy and I was hauling dress 4x4x8 to Washington Court House Ohio. Some one call me on the Radio to tell me that I was losing my load. We stop to look and the 4x4 on the back rack had work about half the way out of the pile. We had to back 1 truck up to the other truck to push them back in the pile with out having to brake the pile down to put them in place. After that I would put a 2x6 under the first and last cross pieces so that they would work there way in the center of the trailer instead of out of the trailer.   

I got a lot more but will stop with these. I never use straps. All that we use back then was chains and if you seen a chain that was lose you better stop and tighten it up.

mechengineer13

Quote from: mechengineer13 on May 26, 2011, 11:21:49 PM
Quote from: beenthere on May 26, 2011, 11:06:20 PM

Ppppphhheeeewwww!  I'll keep quiet and maybe Jeff won't notice.   :-X

Beenthere, Jeff hasn't seen the post so our secret is safe.

Thank You Sponsors!