iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Patty's Little Buddies

Started by Norm, January 03, 2004, 04:45:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Norm

Patty has been making these little guys for the last few years to give away at Blanks Hospital in Des Moines. This is a hospital that serves young children from birth to about teens. They are next to Methodist Hosp. and when I would have to go there to work on equipment I was always impressed with how good they were with the kids especially the little ones. It would always tear my heart out to see these littles guys with no hair or various other diseases.

During the year she cuts them out of patterns that were handed down to her from her grandmother. They aren't fancy but very cute. In early December she takes a box of em down to the nurses with the only stipulation that they give them out to the kids they think need them most and they be allowed to take em home with them when they are released.

Fla._Deadheader

Very nice.  Ya got a good one there, Norm.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Paul_H

Good for Patty to volunteer her time to comfort the kids.When my oldest daughter was four,she needed minor surgery.They gave her a "bunny" that she clutched the whole time she was there.

It means a lot!
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

shopteacher

Those are really nice Patty and you can tell a lot of love goes into each one. I sure those kids really enjoy your gifts. Keep up the good work cause we'll never run out of those in need.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Mark M

Those are nice Norm. Tell Patty I especially like the one that's plaid. I had a can of paint like that once. ;)

ElectricAl

Patty,

What a great way to show you care :)

From experience I know how much a stuffed toy means to a child in need.

When I was on the fire department we would give out little Bears to a child in need.

A hand made present represents so much more dedication to the children in need.

Linda and I custom saw NHLA Grade Lumber, do retail sales, and provide Kiln Services full time.

Linda

Patty,

What a fantastic idea!

Kids love little things like that and when they are hurting it is especially nice to know people care.  Your little buddies look very lovable and huggable.  :)

I remember years back, when one of our kids had to have surgery twice in a row.  He took his well worn favorite bear into the operating room.  It wasn't as good as mom, but it gave him someone to cling to.  The nurses sure did get a kick out of it too.  We still have that old bear around somewhere and probably always will.   ::)

Linda  :)
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Stump Jumper

Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Patty

I don't know who gets more pleasure from the dolls, the kids or me. They are alot of fun to make, (each with his own expression) and alot of fun to deliver. I take them up to the pediatric department in laundry baskets. Folks can't help but smile when they see all the little heads and smiles popping out of the basket. I made this batch that Norm showed you with no hair...I figure the kids may want a doll that has some healing to do...some don't have an arm or a leg.....not so much because I am a lousy seamstress  ::), but more because I think the kids may need someone to love that is just like them, or maybe even a little doll they can care for...just as they are being cared for by the nurses and doctors.
It is very satifying work for me, very contentful. As I mentioned, I don't know who gets more pleasure from the dolls, but I do know they can make me smile. :)
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

EZ

My first grand-son became very ill at 3 months old. My son took him up to akrons children hospital, where he spent 4 months up their. He had 3 different heart surgires, brain surg., kidney surg., he kept hanging on. My wife was up their every day, and I went up every other. The word got around about a child(my grandson) having all these troubles and operations. On one Saturday mouning my wife and I where in his room and we heard a hell of a racket outside. Motorcycles, :o they were all over the place. Full dresses, choppers, they were every where, guys that were dressed pretty nice with leather and some that were dressed like hells angles. One at a time they came in my grandsons room and gave him a teddy bear. They hug both of us and they were on their way. Their was 280 teddy bears. My grand-son didnt make it, and at the funeral there they came all the biker folks.
God bless all of are children.
EZ

AtLast

What an OUTSTANDING gesture of kindness. Im very impressed by people that think beyond their own needs and take the time to do things like that for others.....specially kiddos. WELL DONE!!! 8)

EZ...sorry for your loss.....isnt it funny how the 1's you least expect to contribute are useally the first to step up?

Gus

Norm,
Those little stuffed toys are DanG sure a monument to a big heart.  8)My hats off to her. . . well. . . I don't have a hat on but. . . oh well you know what I mean. :-/
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Patty

EZ,

I'm real sorry about your grandson. He is in heaven now.

Patty
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

L. Wakefield

Yes, that tore at my heart to read.They were your neighbors when they turned out for his funeral. Shared pain is not pain relieved but there is a blessing in it.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

EZ

That was 6 years ago. Yesterday I told my wife that all I can think about is Matthew(grandson). When Patty post this about making the stuff dolls and giving them to the kids, I thought, theres another angel. When he died I almost went back to drinking but by the grace of God, I hung in their. He died in my wifes arms, which took a toll on both of us. When I type the first post this morning I just barely made it. Some things are pretty tuff in life. Thank you all.

Patty, good job on the stuff animals.
EZ

Linda

EZ,

How tragic!  Poor little guy.  :'(  It's terrible to watch anyone suffer, but with little ones that can't even talk, it just tears your heart out!  I'm so sorry.  I am glad God has been there for you and family.  May you be reunited with your grandson in heaven someday.

Amazing how all those bikers got together to show kindness.  Amazing Grace!  :)

Linda
Wood-Mizer 2012 LT50HDE25

Bro. Noble

I wonder if there is such a thing as a 'group cyber hug'?  I think maybe we just had one :)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

Frank_Pender

Patty you are an angle for those children.  Thank you for giving of yourself.  That is always the best gift.  I had trouble reading this whole series, this morning.  It brought back all the memories of spending weekends with the children and the Portland Shriners Hospital.  It is a tough gig, but well worth every minute spent holding and playing with the children.  Some of the nurses aids were not too bad either. 8)  In fact I ended up marrying the sister of one of them. ;D

EZ, thank you for overcomeing the challenge placed before you.  You made many lives better by faceing the challenge and takeing control. 8)
Frank Pender

Patty

You guys are all too kind, really.  :-*

I am humbled by your praise, and inspired to work harder to earn the kind words you wrote.
Women are Angels.
on a broomstick.....

Norm

I thought I'd show the two dolls Patty made for me. She asked if I wanted a raggady ann or andy. I told her I like girls so make it an ann. :D

The other one is humpty dumpty and no she didn't make it from a picture of me. ;D

EZ

Pretty kool Norm and Patty, I like em, I like em alot.  ;D
EZ

Thank You Sponsors!