iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to build my own portable bandmill

Started by Timberline, May 25, 2011, 11:48:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Timberline

I'm looking to build a bandmill with about a 20-25hp engine that can be towed behind my truck.  I have a lot of questions, but I'll start it out with one:

Has anyone ever used this plan?   http://www.sawmillplans.com/

Are there any other recommendations of other plans?   

Thanks, Chris

sandhills

Welcome to the forum, can't help you with the plans but can tell you that you're at the right place for information.  Read a few threads about building bandmills, most everyone here that built their own documented it very well, and as everyone else will tell you pictures are required  ;).

york

timberline,there many good used mill,out there now..Steel and parts are out of sight...Bad time to build.....

Bert
Albert

Timberline

Quote from: york on May 25, 2011, 12:12:11 PM
timberline,there many good used mill,out there now..Steel and parts are out of sight...Bad time to build.....

Bert

Why is it so hard to find parts/steel? 

york

you can find parts and steel ok,but talking about the price....
there some very good used mills with hydraulic controls..I
really do not like the plans your looking at,either..
Bert
Albert

Timberline

Quote from: york on May 25, 2011, 12:58:30 PM
you can find parts and steel ok,but talking about the price....
there some very good used mills with hydraulic controls..I
really do not like the plans your looking at,either..
Bert

How much are some of the used ones you are seeing?  Where can I find them?

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Timberline

I have found a few parts.  What do you guys think of Morgan guides?  I can get a used set for $150.

rbarshaw

I don't know Morgan, I use cooks guides on my sawmill I built, have for years with no problems. I tried to find Morgan guides on the www, no luck tho'.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

LPitt

Try http://linnlumber.com/ I built my mill with their plans and am very pleased with the way it turned out. I even went back and made it all hydraulic and couldn't be happier.
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

tapper2

I built my own mill, works great, but I'd try to find a used one if I had to do it again.      http://www.sawmillexchange.com/
Belsaw m14, 1992 Ford 1720, Homebuilt  bandmill, Franklin 120b & a bunch of worn out, banged up stuff........gotta love it.

Timberline

What should I use as a material for the track?  I would think I wouldn't want to use angle iron being that it is going to be sitting on an axle vs. the ground, don't I need somthing a bit stiffer?  What kind of track roller design should I use?

Thanks

bandmiller2

Timberline if you set on building your own find one locally to measure and get some good ideas,a four post design is easier.Angle iron ^ with Vee castor wheels is a good lashup.Check old posts here reading for weeks.Bolt and make everything adjustable. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

Timberline, welcome to FF.  My mill began with Bill Rake plans.   Then I made it "better." :D
After 5 years of tinkering and the help of forestry forum members it works pretty well.  If you look through my old posts and photo gallery you find some details and build advice from these experienced members.

Now if you have time and like fab work I would build.  If your trying to save money and just want to mill, then find a good used mill.  Another good place to look is  for used mills.

Keep us posted.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Magicman

Welcome Chris, to the Forestry Forum.  Building your own is an ambitious project, but there is much to be gleaned from the members here.   smiley_thumbsup
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

york

Well timberline,looks like your going to build a mill-better get on "Cooks" mailing list they have the GOOD stuff-never even heard of Morgan guides-get a camera,go to forestry shows and look at mills-take pictures and take notes.....Bert
Albert

shelbycharger400

not shure where i read it, but you want your wheels to be 18 to 20 in diameter.   dont buy the cast ones, buy the machined ones.  read their is a lot of run out on various manufactures wheels.  You want to get rubber tires that go over them.   be shure to buy double sealed bearings, stainless type, food or washdown type.    I thought about bansaw, til i priced out stuff, so  i went with chain bar slabber on 4 post setup. ,   way cheaper to build. 

shelbycharger400

bandmiller2

Shelby,looks like you have the most expensive part of a circular mill already. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

paul case

i saw that saw too. it looks like the 40'' blade like my old belsaw used.
2 saws for one picture. kewl  pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

shelbycharger400

well that is the blade for my belsaw,   but my constructed mill, is a wide slabber, and this  picture dosnt show the 36 in chain bar on the mill .  in my profile their is one.      My slabber almost done.... im workin on # 3 a table saw mill fixture... for my 5 in dia cherry :) ...     greed is a necessity!

Chris Burchfield

I would weigh heavy in considering purchase of a used mill vs building.  I have the skills, tools and knowledge and considered doing the same.  In the end, I would have spent 70% of the same money for steel and components.  The short is I could have made it hydraulic however, I did not have the skill or knowledge for the Accuset.  I also wanted to start slinging sawdust.  The Sponsors of mills on the left of this page have engineers and years of experience in building and operating mills.  An engineer, I'm not.  Run a build list with pricing for your mill.  Keep an eye on the Commerce section "For Sale" on this website.  Aside from Ebay or Craiggs list, you might also Google used Sawmills.  There are a lot of folks here who have built fine mills and can offer great information.  I just believe you could buy an engineered, used mill cheaper than you could buy and build yourself.  Good luck, Chris Burchfield, Memphis TN.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Timberline

Thanks for all the advice everybody.  I want to build for a few reasons.  I don't need a large mill with hydraulics (at lest not yet) and I don't really have the cash to buy even a manual mill and I also want to stay out of debt.  Also, I don't have to get milling right away, and if I take my time and get parts and materials as cheap as possible, I think I could build one for a little over $3,000 which is about half the cost of comparable mills.  It seems like most of the used manual mills are almost the same price of the newer ones, maybe a few hundred to a thousand less.

That being said, what should I use for wheels?  Real band wheels or trailer wheels/tires?

What are the best plans?  Linn's plans seem pretty good, but would work if I make a few modifications to the design and use trailer tires?

One thing I noticed about the Linn mills is how far the wheel is from the actual carriage that is supporting it.  It seems as if that would just allow more room for error.  Or am I wrong? 

mikeb1079

timberline, i have and extra set of woodmizer wheels that i was thinking of selling.  they're 25 1/2".  very large and very heavy.  let me know if you're interested.
cheers
mb
that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

Timberline

Thank You Sponsors!