iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cable choker repair

Started by postville, May 24, 2011, 07:52:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postville

Can you put a new cable on a choker by other means than a huge press to swage the ball ends? I have a lot of short cable pieces salvaged from an old skidder cable and want to reuse it.
Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

Ford_man

Lebonville Has ferulles are locked on the end of the cable with a wedge, they are $9.95 ea

IMOWOOD

I just put a knot in my cable chokers when they break, like you would in the end of your main line.

captain_crunch

Look at Baillys whole new choker  aitn that expensive
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

PAFaller

The ferrules you can buy at Labonville will work on the end of your mainline to hold the sliders on, but will not work at a choker. They are too big in diameter and not tapered on the end like a cable choker end and therfore wont fit into the hook. If you need to use up some old cable there are plenty of uses for it. I have seen guys put loops in the ends for pulling trucks, guys running chain chokers sometimes put a piece of chain on one end and use it as an extension when skidding in real steep ground, and I have even seen guys wrap up a polewood bundle and then stuff the bundle in a seasonal creek channel to use as a quick skidding bridge.
It ain't easy...

postville

Yes, The premade chokers are a bargain, with the time I have in fooling around these are three times the cost. Maybe I can make it up with volumne.
I tried an old timers tip- drilled out the balls to 1", turned back the cable about 1/2 inch and stuffed it back into the hole and filled with lead from wheel weights. Had to heat the cable to fold back the strands. I may try just fanning them out. Also used muriatic acid for a lead flux. I'll let you know how long they last. Bob
LT40 25hp Kohler, Gehl 6635, Valby grapple, Ford 4600, Farmi winch, Stihl saws

captain_crunch

Had you used Babbet rather than lead my guess would be forever :) :) You have to burn oil out of end so bending em over with torch works good
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!