iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some virus info

Started by DouginUtah, May 24, 2011, 04:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DouginUtah

I was reading posts on the forum today when I saw the very bottom line of Firefox (where it usually says Done--I suppose it is called the message toolbar) a flurry of activity some of which read "Read i2.ytimg.com" and "Transferring data from...tubemogul.com". A lot of activity. I shut the forum down and ran Malwarebytes. It found one virus called "Trojan.BankerBot.Gen". I got rid of it and searched for it and found info that said it was searching my hard disk for banking information. I have no idea where it came from since I had not visited any sites that I don't regularly visit daily.

On another subject I had a computer (Windows 7) come to me with a virus which is called the "Open With" virus. If you get it you cannot run programs because it always opens a dialog box with the title of Open With. None of the choices are appropriate, especially if you are trying to run an .exe. The answer is on Vistaforums - Author Brink). You will need to run a program which modifies the registry (choose .Exe from the list).

-Doug
When you hang around with good people, good things happen. -Darrell Waltrip

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

Jeff

Are you sure that wasn't tubemogul.com?

i2.ytimg.com  is from you tube. I dont think that is a concern. tubemogul.com  is the developer of youtube video advertising of some sort. I think both are parts or associated with youtube, and not related to a virus.

That "flurry" was probably an embedded video link loading. I would think the trojan you found was unrelated to the other things.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Warbird

Jeff is correct.  What you saw hanging in FF was an ad taking forever to load.  It happens sometimes.  The trojan is completely unrelated but good you found it!

tyb525

I'm trying to figure out why you get viruses so often Doug? Or am I just imagining things?
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

DouginUtah

Quote from: Jeff on May 24, 2011, 04:56:18 PM
Are you sure that wasn't tubemogul.com?

Yes, I made my first typing mistake.  :D

Quote from: Jeff on May 24, 2011, 04:56:18 PM
I think both are parts or associated with youtube, and not related to a virus.

I was not looking at video. As soon as I got rid of the virus that flurry of links stopped happening, whereas every new page was causing the same flurry over again..
Look for tubemogul in Google and guess what! In the drop-down list of suggestions is "tubemogul.com malware".

Quote from: Warbird on May 24, 2011, 05:45:54 PM
What you saw hanging in FF was an ad taking forever to load.

An ad taking forever to load does not have a half-dozen links load while it is taking forever--loading so fast you can't read them.

Quote from: tyb525 on May 24, 2011, 06:25:34 PM
I'm trying to figure out why you get viruses so often Doug? Or am I just imagining things?

I remove viruses from other people's computers. I don't get viruses on my computer, this morning being an exception. Last week I had one with over one thousand infected files. I fixed it.

------
Probably should just keep what I learn about viruses to myself and stick to forestry topics.

[/quote]
-Doug

There is no need to say 'unleaded regular gas'. It's all unleaded. Just say 'regular gas'. It's not the 70s anymore. (At least that's what my wife tells me.)

---

D Hagens

We took the dog out for a short walk, I left the FF open and comp on and came back to about 12 viruses detected. Checked them all out, all you-tube stuff. Like Jeff says every once in awhile you can get hit with flurries. This is the first time in a very long time that it's happened to me.
Modify.......this isn't in my situation a FF problem this in just your typical hit and miss of the viruses going through an open door.

Warbird

Quote from: DouginUtah on May 24, 2011, 07:00:27 PM
Probably should just keep what I learn about viruses to myself and stick to forestry topics.

::) ::)

Jeff

QuoteLook for tubemogul in Google and guess what! In the drop-down list of suggestions is "tubemogul.com malware".

I suspect there are others that see that and think the same thing you did, then get a bit concerned that that is the problem, then search google for it, thus, it becomes a previously searched term. However, I can't actually find anything anywhere that tubmogul is listed as malware and I know that i2.ytimg.com is a legitimate youtube url owned by google.

Viruses can be a tricky thing. What makes them tricky is when they mix in with the legitimate stuff to hide.

QuoteProbably should just keep what I learn about viruses to myself and stick to forestry topics.

Doug Doug Doug. That's no way to be.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

DouginUtah

This is causing me to have chest pains.

Dealing with virus infected computers can be very frustrating.

-Doug

---

Warbird

No need to get so worked up you have chest pains.  I agree, infected computers can be annoying.

tyb525

Sorry Doug, I didn't realize you fixed computers. I appreciate the info, keep it comin' smiley_thumbsup
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

scsmith42

Doug, here is another request for you to continue to share your thoughts, weather it's about viruses, peak oil, forestry, or anything.

I ALWAYS read your posts, and have benefitted from your sage wisdom more than once.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

LOGDOG

Here's a question for you guys. Do any of you get the "Atlas dmt cookie" (I think it's called) when you run your virus and spyware scans? I'd love to find a way to block it. My Webroot picks it up daily.

Thank You Sponsors!