iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 440A skidder

Started by shaneh, May 24, 2011, 07:40:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shaneh

Goodmorning
I am looking at a JD440A c/w backhoe to do
Thanks Shane selective cutting as well as road/ trail maintenance on my property. Is anyone familiar with this machine and have an opinion pros or cons?
Thanks Shiner

Bobus2003

The JD440 is a beast of a machine. Small enough to be easily moved with a 1 ton truck and 20k lbs Trailer, Can sneak through the woods on selective cuts, and yet has enough pulling power to move some decent wood.. As for a 440 with a Backhoe.. I've only ever heard about them.. dad had talked about it at one time cause he found the backhoe part and was gonna get it for his machine, but bought a Excavator instead. If you try to do too much dirt work with the blade, you have too be careful cause the brackets that the Blade/hyd Cylinder pin to can be easily broken if abuse in rocky ground..(Mine has been repaired a few times after building roads)

shaneh

Thanks Bobus 2003..are there any particular areas or weak spots I should be checking when I go to see this 440?

5akman

Never seen one with a backhoe, take some pics please!
1978 JD 440C

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum shaneh, hope you find what your looking for.  I have never seen a 440 with a backhoe either, that would be an interesting combo!
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Bobus2003

Quote from: shaneh on May 24, 2011, 08:38:18 PM
Thanks Bobus 2003..are there any particular areas or weak spots I should be checking when I go to see this 440?

Check The machine over for usual items, then check for leaks, cracks in the frame, Tires, Engine condition.. Check too see if there is slop in the center pins, Drive shafts

dnash

If it has the 9 bolt hubs, check to see that the cones (round wedge with 2 bolts that hold the hub on the axle) are nice and snug. Any play there generally means that there is play between the axle and hub. If this is the case, you might as well start looking for a matched axle/hub that isn't worn. This is probably the weakest link in the whole machine.
JD 440C
JD 640D
Timberjack 205HR
JD 329E skidsteer
JD CT322 skidsteer

Thank You Sponsors!