iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw something this morning I've never seen.

Started by LOGDOG, May 22, 2011, 10:19:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LOGDOG

Woke up this morning, went into the kitchen and pulled open the vertical blinds to look at across the pasture like I always do each morning. About 600-800 feet out I see this long white thing hopping along. At first I thought maybe it was a white egret because we have a ton of them. But egrets don't really hop like that. So I grab the binoculars and find him in the lenses and sure enough, it's a pure WHITE gray squirrel. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. His nose was kind of rusty color like a poodle or a yorkie gets, but the rest of his body was pure white. Big one too. He looks like he's probably about 24'' from nose to tail. He was making trips back and forth across my levy to a cypress tree. Almost as if he was stocking up food. I'm going to run some corn out there for him and see if I can get some  pictures. Maybe put my game cam out. In 36 years though, he's the first one I've seen. That made my day.  :)

sandhills

Nice way to start the day!  I've heard of them but never actually saw one, pictures would be cool.

red oaks lumber

the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

pigman

About 20 years ago we had a squirrel that was all white except for a brown streak down it's back. It stayed in the trees near our house for several years. That was the only one I have ever see that color.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

DanG

I'll betcha that was a Fox Squirrel.  They are much larger than a common Grey Squirrel, and have a distinctive hopping motion when they move around.  They come in many colors, too.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Banjo picker

About 25 years ago there were quite a few white squirrels in Boliver Tn.  at Western State mental inst....I was just working there ok....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

LOGDOG

Funny Tim.

I bet your right DanG. He moved like a ribbon through the air if that makes sense. We actually do have quite a few fox squirrels here.

ROL ..Yep we can still bait here. Things haven't really tightened down on baiting here yet. Man don't give them any ideas.

Looking at that squirrel I have to admit the thought of him taxidermied on the mantle ran through my mind. It would be unique. Not sure if they're protected or not. But then I thought, well ... if he sticks around he'd be fun to watch. So hopefully comes to visit the corn I put out for him.

DanG

Good on you, Logdog.  They're becoming rare around here since we got coyotes.  Fox Squirrels spend a lot of time on the ground and aren't shy about being in the open.  Pretty easy pickin's for a 'yote.

I know of a few places where white squirrels are found around here.  There's a neighborhood in Tallahassee that's just crawling with them.  They're just ordinary tree rats, but they're snow white. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

DR_Buck

Here's one I ran across in the wilds of West Virginia 2 years ago.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

tyb525

Here we have the opposite, pure black squirrels. They're pretty much confined to the small town of Upland, not sure why they haven't ventured out of that town.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

LOGDOG

Yep, we have black squirrels as well. our place is a bit of a squirrel haven. I don't shoot them and I haven't let squirrel hunters in either. Our place is full of oaks with lots of acorns. They seem to thrive here. It's been years since I've eaten gray squirrel or fox squirrel. Every now and then I'm tempted. But so far I've resisted the temptation. I'm looking forward to catching him on the game cam maybe.

The way he sticks out I am a little concerned about predators. Our bobcat and coyote population is way high here. I need to take a few of them out this year. Those coyotes don't think a thing about getting out in broad daylight. At night they're yip, yip, yipping at the top of their lungs. Fun to listen to in an eerie sort of way. I don't imagine the rabbits and squirrels like to hear it much though.

Dodgy Loner

You can send your squirrel hunters to my place. I'm still having a time with them in my garden. Who knew squirrels ate potatoes? :D
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Burlkraft

Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 23, 2011, 09:28:11 AM
You can send your squirrel hunters to my place. I'm still having a time with them in my garden. Who knew squirrels ate potatoes? :D

They ate my potatoes all the while making me believe that they were just burying peanuts from the feeder.

I did have some very small peanuts on the plants by the time the ground froze  ;D  I'd a rather had the potatoes  :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

J_T

Maybe this link will work . Kenton Tn has a white squirrel festival . May wasnt to take yours for a visit   ;D

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/5933
Jim Holloway

LOGDOG

That's pretty cool J_T. I hope he sticks around lock enough to just see him a second time though.
Quote from: Burlkraft on May 23, 2011, 09:36:06 AM
Quote from: Dodgy Loner on May 23, 2011, 09:28:11 AM

They ate my potatoes all the while making me believe that they were just burying peanuts from the feeder.

I did have some very small peanuts on the plants by the time the ground froze  ;D  I'd a rather had the potatoes  :-\

Hmmmmm ....squirrels? Potatoes? Maybe some garlic and carrots ... a little celery ..... Sounds like the makings for a nice stew.  :)
Don't tell my little white buddy I said that.

Ianab

On a related subject, a White Kiwi bird has been hatched at a wildlife reserve here in NZ.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/cutestuff/5047359/White-kiwi-chick-hatched

Kiwi are quite rare in NZ as the chicks are vulnerable to introduced predators like stoats, feral cats and weasels. The adults can fight them off as they are quite a strong bird, but the younger chicks get killed.

So a lot of the conservation involves hatching them in captivity, and rearing them in a predator free fenced reserve or offshore island until the are big enough to defend themselves.

Video here - warning for cute critters.
http://vimeo.com/24092118

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

LOGDOG

".....a sign of good things to happen." I like that. It's actually what I told my wife it must be.  :) Nice thought anyway.

Thank You Sponsors!