iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Crazy Cotton

Started by ARKANSAWYER, January 02, 2004, 06:50:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ARKANSAWYER

This is some cotton wood that I sawed a month or so ago.  It had the brown in it when I sawed.  I took it out for a stall in a barn and the wood was crazy with color.  I ran this board through the plainer to really look at it.  Is this normal for cotton wood?   I saw very little and this is the first I have had look like this.  These 1x12's will not be going in any stall.  Now what to do with it?  ???

ARKANSAWYER

Tom

I don't see any cottonwood.

I have seen color like that as mineral stain in Sweet Gum.  Usually it's gone within a few minutes of being sawed.  That's pretty interesting.  I'm looking at the purple and gold.  Is that what you are talking about?  Sure is pretty.

DanG

Wowie!  That's some purty stuff. I betcha there's two or three folks here that'd have a ideer of what to do with it. Probly involve some assistance from UPS. ::)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

VA-Sawyer

What university has purple and gold for their school colors ? I would bet they would pay pretty good money for some of that neat looking wood.   8)  If it was Purdue Black & Gold then I could help you myself.  ;D

Rick
VA-Sawyer

WV_hillbilly

That 's some nice boards you got there Arky.  It loooks like some of the mineral stained poplar we get around here .  If you was a little closer I could take some of that off your paws .  By  the way How long  are those boards ?
Hillbilly

Frank_Pender

YOu have gotten a hand on some nice wood.    I have sawed some Cottonwood that does the same thing, without have to be placed in a horse stall.   It sure is "purty".  thank for sharing. 8)
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

Well the board in the picture was leaning up on the wall in the plainer shed and a lady came through today.  Except for that board which my wife claimed they are all gone.  250 bdft of crazy cotton did not last long.  I have got to figure out how to make it do that.  Nice while it lasted.  She is going to make kitchen cabinets with it. ::)
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Jeff

We stood some up that were almost as dark as printers ink. In about a week they faded to almost nothing. :-/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

L. Wakefield

Same happened to some tulip poplar I had in the 80s that cut and was blue when it was fresh. I tried everything I could think of to keep the color. It left in the drying process.

Yours was better though. I would almost be tempted to throw it in the freezer   :D :o :D  to save it while I experimented.  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Mark M

Yep - thats the way all our cottonwood up here looks, and you guys were making fun of me. ;)

I thinks it goes for about 20 cents a board foot.

Mark

Frank_Pender

Mark, I get $.50 a board foot ;D
Frank Pender

Mark M

That pretty good Frank ;).

Are you guys feeling better?

VA-Sawyer

I'll bet Arky got a little better than $.50/bf.  Didn't you Arky?

Rick
VA-Sawyer

Percy

Yankee Cottonwood must be different than Canadian  :)cause Ive cut alot of it around here and it never looked like that. I could sell alot of that you bet. Ours is wet and heavey and has a greenish/greyish tinge to it fresh cut  and lightens up a tad when it FINALLY dries. ;D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Frank_Pender

I am, thank you Mark.  ;D The wife is still on her antibiotics for pneumonia.  She is sleeping most of the day as well and through the night.  She is really wiped out with this junk.   I am hanging onto the cough a while longer than I have wanted.  
Frank Pender

ARKANSAWYER

Normally cotton wood leaves here at $0.40 to $0.60 bdft but I let this go for $1.50 bdft airdried and plained.   She is a good customer and has bought about $3 grand last year.  These boards were pretty dry and have good color.
  Mark,
  I you have some with color like this and will let it go for twice what you have been getting let me know.  What little I do get is pretty bland it was just that this log went crazy with color.  You may have found your nich market.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

Don P

QuoteWhat university has purple and gold for their school colors ?

ECU, East Carolina in Greenville NC
, The Pirates
http://www.ecu.edu/aboutecu/

ECTC, East Carolina Teachers College, when my folks met there :).

Purty wood!

Thank You Sponsors!