iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

BIG walnut, maiden voyage of "little log truck"

Started by Ironwood, May 21, 2011, 11:41:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Here are some pics of me grabbing a walnut that weighed about 7000#. I just finished the truck bed.
More pics of the bed, and its features can be seen here, https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,17613.msg736409.html#msg736409

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

customdave

Nice job on the truck deck , Ironwood , looks like it will do the job just jim dandy!!

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

sjfarkas

Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

Ironwood

Bunks dont slide front to rear but standards slide in and out. (Cant have everything adjustable :D) Grabbed a few more logs (locust/ cherry) from a nieghbor this morn. These were smaller 14-18" diameter. Pics will follow, too busy with daylight.

Thanks for the praise. Ironwood 
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

WDH

I could really use one of those.  You are set up nice. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

thecfarm

Looks good. You sure do get some big logs. What's all the wood going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ironwood

WDH

That walnut log has real character outside.  I can't wait to see what is inside.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ironwood

Went shopping at the scrap yard today, found some good heavy bearing"ed" rollers (15 lbs each) and a HEAVY pulley with a grease fitting for the top of the "headache poles" 65lbs :o.
  Also, on a much funnier note I wanted those fancy fold down alum. steps that go on fire trucks and such ($70 each :o) no way, instead: I found old cast steel galvanized self waterers from a cattle barn that I am going to use on my "RV" to get on the roof. Someday I'll be tooling down the highway and some rancher will come up behind my RV and say, "dang aint them steps made from cattle watering triggers"  ;D :D

Ironwood

Ironwood

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Dave Tarheels

Are you building these trucks ?  what's a ballpark figure on the grapple and hydraulics on that truck . I love this setup it's exactly what I need .
LT 20 Woodmizer

Ironwood

Yes, I built it, No idea as everything is cobbled together. I would assume you could find a Hiab 035 for 4-8K. This one is in really nice shape. I have an "inventory" of all sorts of stuff here. I usually just squirrel stuff away until I get the time to assemble. As I tell my MIL, "it's all money in kit form"  :D Rear fenders are off an Army M200 generator trailer, Ramsey 12K was off a local Fire engine, traded a used Huskey 338XP for it. It comes from ALL directions around these parts, scrap yard, surplus, trade/barter, occasionally the four letter word "FULL RETAIL". Rear roller was some Schedule 80 stainless a buddy gave me and I had some old bearings from an Oliver jointer that I could not get myself to throw away, I welded those inside the stainless.

I did get a snowplow on it for winter, and a removable dump bed is next. Just too many commissions needing to get out of the shop right now to do the "fun" stuff.  :( 

This is a custom mount for a Meyer 9' blade (switched to 8') as it was too wide to really deal with on the road. The concrete on the back is 3 ton. 9'er was Military surplus. E60 Meyer pumps from Craigslist.

Dave Tarheels

I really like the setup it's perfect for my needs , time to start squirreling stuff away then . 
LT 20 Woodmizer

Al_Smith

That walnut could have  some decent lumber .It goes without saying being a yard tree it would be best to scan  with a good metal detecter first though .

It would be one thing to ruin a 25 dollar bandsaw blade but entirely another matter to wipe out a 100 dollar cabinet blade or a 150 dollar carbide profile cutter for a shaper or larger router .That would cause much weeping and gnashing of teeth no doubt . :(

markd

markd

dboyt

I'm inspired!  That winch should come in handy.  Are you going to put a grapple on that arm?
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

Ironwood

I dont do enough work to do that, although I did have one here that I let go that would have worked. If I were in the tree business myself OR firewood (read, handling ALOT of smallish material) I would.
Ironwood

Leigh Family Farm

Quote from: Ironwood on May 02, 2012, 12:30:58 AM
Yes, I built it, No idea as everything is cobbled together. I would assume you could find a Hiab 035 for 4-8K. This one is in really nice shape. I have an "inventory" of all sorts of stuff here. I usually just squirrel stuff away until I get the time to assemble. As I tell my MIL, "it's all money in kit form"  :D Rear fenders are off an Army M200 generator trailer, Ramsey 12K was off a local Fire engine, traded a used Huskey 338XP for it. It comes from ALL directions around these parts, scrap yard, surplus, trade/barter, occasionally the four letter word "FULL RETAIL". Rear roller was some Schedule 80 stainless a buddy gave me and I had some old bearings from an Oliver jointer that I could not get myself to throw away, I welded those inside the stainless.

I did get a snowplow on it for winter, and a removable dump bed is next. Just too many commissions needing to get out of the shop right now to do the "fun" stuff.  :( 

This is a custom mount for a Meyer 9' blade (switched to 8') as it was too wide to really deal with on the road. The concrete on the back is 3 ton. 9'er was Military surplus. E60 Meyer pumps from Craigslist.

Ironwood, that is a very nice ride! What is the make and model of the truck? I am researching a good urban forestry set up and this looks ideal. Does the truck still have a trailer hitch for towing? How much can your bed hold? GVW? I would like to get a Ford F-750 with a 14' flat bed, 20 ton PM knuckleboom with grappler, and a hitch but they are just a weeee bit out of the budget (i.e. my wife said no) ;)
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Ironwood

That is a 2000 F-550 (17,500gvw), V10. Would be nice if it were a 7.3 diesel, but they are $$$$ if you ca neven find one in 4x4. I have a 7.3 in a CC/CC I also use for family stuff.

irownood

Leigh Family Farm

Does it have a hitch? How much can the bed hold? GVW of 17,000 is under CDL requirements, right? Thanks for the info and pics!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

Ironwood

Several hitches at various heights off the rear custom bumper, weighs about 11K empty, perhaps less, so 3 ton legal.

1woodguy

Very very nice lil log truck!!!
Makes a fella go to thinking  :D
Experience is a rough teacher first you get the test later comes the lesson!

Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!