iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Turn yourself into wood.

Started by Jeff, January 02, 2004, 02:44:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Just before Christmas I got a wonderful surprise in the mail from WV_hillbilly. He makes these awesome wooden name plaques. He sent us several. I took a couple pictures before my battery went dead, but I'll take some more. The pictures do not do them justice. They are truly great.  The one that says Forestry Forum is made from walnut with a curly maple base. I got to get a picture of that yet, a better picture that is. Not pictured yet is my user name. I must have moved the camera cause the pic was to blurry.

I'm not sure what he charges for them but he and I are going to put together a little web page to show them off. They are very very well done and I would recommend that ya'll get your user name done to sit by your computer.  

Thanks again Hillbilly!

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

Now those are  8) 8) 8).  What do you use to cut them out ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

WV_hillbilly

Corley those were cut out on a Dewalt 788 scrollsaw it 's a real nice machine for the money. I ' d put it up against scrollsaws that are more than 2 to 3 times  more costly .

Your welcome Jeff. those were a token of appreciation for all  the hard work you do to make this place happen .  Tammy ask for the big one and I made the others to fill up the box  :D :D . You  know the postal service is going broke so instead of bricks  those ones fit in nicely ;D

I    also make adult and kids jigsaw puzzles , pen and pencil sets, and wildlife plaques  that up slab wood.  There is a pic of one on here somewhere ?    ???
Hillbilly

Fla._Deadheader

That pack train piece is the one I want. Been in a real money crunch, since 9/11, but, looks like we are coming to the light at the end of the tunnel. ;) ;)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Wes

Real nice work Hillbilly,

Have you ever read Creative Woodworks & Crafts mag.?It is full of alot of great scrollsawing info.

Wes. ;D

EZ

Nice job WV, do you freehand the drawings. I use to do things like that until I got busy with the sawing thing. I need to take a break and get out in the wood shop and play.
EZ

Gus

That is some Dandy work WV. 8) This DanG place never ceases to amaze me. Way to go.
Gus
"How do I know what I think unless I have seen what I say?"

Frank_Pender

Well done WV.  I'll bet Tammy has the one that says, "The Boss" on her desk. :D
Frank Pender

RavioliKid

RavioliKid

DanG

Really nice work, Hillbilly. 8) 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

WV_hillbilly

Thanks everyone. The scollsaw is my therapist. I go down to the wood shop when the kids are going to bed and relax from the days events . It 's just me the saw and a radio . No phone no TV and  no distractions .

Wes                                                                                        I  do read that magazine along with ScrollSaw Workshop.

EZ  
      Most of the thigs I cut are patterns that I bought . The names are done on a special puter program that lets you design all kinds of things  with letters and numbers.  But ocassionally someone ask for something custom and I ' ll  design it .  Going to the woodshop on a daily basis is like getting dressed in the morning for me . Sometimes  I  "ll spend 15 or 20 minutes and sometimes it is in hours .

Frank

I already know the answer to that one and I think your on the right track .   ;)
Hillbilly

Ianab

I make a few things like that myself... I'm just not as good yet 8)
I draw up a pattern on the PC and print it out on normal paper, then glue this to the wood with some water soluable paste. Once I've got it cut out on the scroll saw a quick dunk in warm water removes the paper and paste, then the wood can be sanded, oiled or whatever.
That way you can draw up a pattern with Publisher or whatever drawing program you have, and use all the nice fonts on your PC

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Wes

Hillbilly,

We got into sawmilling the same way as you,My father needed to mill some of his own logs for his wood shop, I helped him,and couldnt stop!!

Glad to hear you read the mag.

My father Wes is the special projects editor and photographer for them.He does project devolpment and writes a fiew articles monthly. Hes currently writing a series of articles on trees and wood,from a woodworkers perspective.Which will become a book when compleated.

In his travels to Scrollsawing Picknics and woodworking events He photographs and writes articles about the events, and usually will stop off at some readers shops on the way to do articles on them.

If I can make it to the FF picknic he said he would like to come along if its ok with Jeff.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

shopteacher

WV Hillybilly- Now that's some mighty fine work.  Your craftmanship shows in every piece.  
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

WV_hillbilly

lanab
     keep cutin and you will learn the tricks and skills.   For attaching the patterns  you may want to try what I do . First you cover the face of the wood with clear packing tape and then spray the back of the pattern with temporary spray adhessive ( like 3M spray mount )  when the adhesive becomes tacky lay it on the piece and it is glued down. Then drill you holes and scroll away.Once your done cutting just peel the tape and pattern away  there is no residue left . I have had some pieces monted up like this for over a year and it still peels off like it was put on yesterday.

Wes ,  

If your dad was at the Pa scrollsaw picnic last year I probably met him there . I spent some time at their booth but cant't remember the names.
Hillbilly

Wes

Yeah, Im preity sure he was there, he goes to most of them with my mom.I know he judjes the contests along with some of the others.

Ive done some scrollsawing myself but I like larger ,noisey, equipment better.

Thank You Sponsors!