iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small logs - how to saw?

Started by Engineer, January 02, 2004, 12:21:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Engineer

I am debating on how to saw a number of small (up to 16" dia.) logs that I have sitting in a pile.  I'll be using the lumber for my own house and my own projects, so I don't grade the lumber and have no need to.

First instinct is to slab off, saw one or two, and rotate, but it seems like a waste, and there's no chance of getting anything other than flatsawn lumber.  I think what I will do is slab off two sides, flip the log and saw through-and-through right to the other side.  I think it's a bit faster that way, and with a manual mill, I don't have the time to play with the logs.

Any thoughts or comments on this?  I know if I cut through the logs, I'll have pith in one or two boards, but that's not a problem - I'll cut it out while dressing up the lumber.  Note: it's all hardwood.  I have a fair amount of pine as well, but that will all be 2x stock once I saw beams out of the heart.

Jon

Corley5

That's how I'd do it on my circle mill.  Flatten opposite sides to the face and width that I want, put one side down, saw to within a board of the other side, flip the remaining part so the flat side is against the knees and cut off the slab leaving one last board.  Log done.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Minnesota_boy

One of the advantages sawing that way is the 2 or 4 pieces of quartersawn material that comes out of the center of the log.  Yes, you have to remove the pith, but you get quartersawn at no extra cost.  :o

Some of the red oak I've sawn has yielded some real pretty pieces that way.  :)
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ARKANSAWYER

I thought that you said small log? ??? Like this.

If you just want to skin it then just take a slab then turn 90 degrees and take a slab ect till you get the slabs off then just saw to the deck.  It is easier to edge the lumber that way and you will get the widest boards possible with less sawing.  Watch and if the logs starts lifting off of the deck then flip it 180 and go till gone.  You can take the slab and 2 or 3 flitchings and then flip 180 and saw to the deck.  It requires more edging but less turning but your blade is always in bark.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

big_sid

??? in my neck of the woods 16'' dia. logs are the norm, and to me thats a good sized log. i would rotate the log 90 degrees after taking what you need off of each side. but i think that sized log is plenty big enough to quarter saw.
never been so happy to be so broke

Oregon_Sawyer

With a log that size I usually cut off the slab and a couple boards.  Turn 90, cut down so there is a clean corner.  Turn 90, cut to the size cant I want. Turn 90 and cut thru and thru.

Less boards to that need to be edged on both sides.

Loren
Sawing with a WM since 98. LT 70 42hp Kubota walk behind. 518 Skidder. Ramey Log Loader. Serious part-timer. Western Red Cedar and Doug Fir.  Teamster Truck Driver 4 days a week.

VA-Sawyer

What happened there Arky? Did you get something stuck between your teeth and you didn't want to go to the store for a toothpick? Faster to just saw one up, Right ?  :D :D :D
Just what are you sawing in that picture ? Looks too small for a cuestick.

VA-Sawyer

ARKANSAWYER

Would you believe I was sawin a 3 inch redbud log. (well more like twig)  That thin kerf of a WoodMizer is impressive.  I was getting $40 an hour to saw so I do not complain and my slab puller does not mind as well.  It is a tuff living but it needs to be done and I was mobile so that they did not have to haul that thing in a truck and take a chance in busting a tire or any thing.  This feller makes needles for weaving and most of the time it is dogwood or hornbeam.
ARKANSAWYER
ARKANSAWYER

VA-Sawyer

The part I found the funniest, was the amount of sawdust on the ground from the discharge chute.  Even with the thin kerf, it looks like almost 1/2 the wood ends up as dust.  How thin are you slicing it?  Do you turn the slices up 90 degrees and make little sticks? Does he make needles from the Redbuds? Now you have my interest up.
VA-Sawyer

Thank You Sponsors!