iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Horses and sawdust

Started by Qweaver, May 19, 2011, 02:54:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We had a 2 day portable sawing job last week and there was a mare in the field where we were sawing.  That was about the friendliest horse that I have ever seen.  She hung around us the whole time that we were sawing, in fact she was often in the way.  She loved the saw dust and continually stuck her nose into the dust and pawed at it.  I guess she just liked being around humans and I had to push her out of the way a few times.  She was a real sweetie.  I don't guess oak sawdust will hurt her.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Ron Wenrich

We send quite a bit of sawdust to horse farmers and horse shows.  Their only requirement is no walnut.  Poplar seems to be a favorite.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

laffs

i  have a friend in ct that has draft horses, they saw a lot of oak down that way, he says the oak sawdust rots their hoofs. he doesnt use it. he only uses softwood sawdust
timber harvester,tinberjack230,34hp kubota,job ace excavator carpenter tools up the yingyang,

darrenjttu

Isnt wallnut sawdust bad for horses?

Kcwoodbutcher

I use 40 plus yards of sawdust a month at the stable, way more than I produce. I have to buy it and the price keeps going up. This is mostly because of fuel costs but the mills have been raising their price too.  Any mill within 80 miles of the city has no problem getting rid of their dust because of the high demand. Walnut dust can kill a horse because of a plant growth inhibitor present in the dust which can be absorbed through the hoofs.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Kansas

Walnut sawdust will kill a horse. I have heard cherry can be toxic too. We sell our sawdust for 15 a cubic yard. We really don't sell much of it.Its mostly cottonwood with some oak.

kelLOGg

Quote from: laffs on May 19, 2011, 09:00:53 PM
he says the oak sawdust rots their hoofs. he doesnt use it. he only uses softwood sawdust

The reaction of iron with the tannic acid in oak will degrade the horseshoe nail and possibly make the hosre throw a shoe.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Kcwoodbutcher

Kansas, 15 a yard is a good price. I don't pay nearly that much.  It's actually wilted cherry leaves that will kill a horse or anything else that eats them.  They produce cyanide as they decay.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

brdmkr

I have no problem giving away pine sawdust for horse stalls, but no one wants hardwood.  The guy that gets the pine dust seems to think it has some medicinal qualities.  I have not looked into it, but I can see him being right.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

papow22

???,I'm just wondering if popular & black popular,white spruce sawdust,is it safe for the horses,I used windshield washer fluid for lube on the band blade.I have Lm2000 band mill.
Lives to do sawdust,run a trapline,hunt big game,live life to it's most.Got 4 mills a circle mill,(2 band sawmills) Norwood's 2000, Trim Saw,Beam Machine (chainsaw mill).

Norm

There's an old friend that raises high dollar paints and quarters near me that will use any sawdust but walnut. His vet cautioned him to make sure there's no walnut dust mixed into it.

red oaks lumber

we supply alot of horse farms with shavings, they all have their own prefences but all agree no walnut what so ever.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Magicman

For some reason, horses seem to love a sawdust pile.  Overnight  they will paw one to the ground.  Next night, same thing all over again.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!