iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My relatives Logging In Allagash Maine (Old Pics of Iron)

Started by bkellyvtme, May 19, 2011, 12:31:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bkellyvtme

Alot of old pics of some of my relatives are in these pics and figured you guys would get a kick out of em.

Bill Gaiche

bkellyvtme , Very interesting photos of old iron. Never have seen any like these before. bg

D Hagens

Very cool pics, I've always wondered about the old pics like this where they have windows and doors but did they ever have heat in the cabs?

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

That's very cool. Maine, actually was one of the first states to log with steam powered machines like that if I recall.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

First time I have seen a steam locosnomobile.  Fascinating pics.  Thanks for sharing.

Has anyone on this forum ever seen a real one of those (in any stage of decay/repair)?
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

northwoods1

There are a number of them preserved around here one is just down the road at Wabeno, WI in the logging museum it is a Phoenix shown in this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_M3Hw2izKI&NR=1

The locals run the Phoenix every year at the annual steam up days. They were commonly referred to as "snow snakes".

There is also a Lombard in Rhinelander. I have a panoramic picture showing the Phoenix pulling an entire train of sleighs and most of the teamsters and workers from a camp up North here I think it is in or near Rice Lake. There is supposed to be one of the Phoenix haulers at the bottom of a lake not far from here I was told someone found it and had recovered the bell.

thecfarm

Please put these in the Timber Havest Methods and Equipment thread.  Nice pictures. Wow.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jim king

They sure look better than a skidder for long distance hauling.  Has the industry gone forward or backward ?

Sprucegum

8)  8) Is that two steering wheels or is one of them for brakes?

beenthere

Quote from: D Hagens on May 19, 2011, 12:52:33 AM

Very cool pics, I've always wondered about the old pics like this where they have windows and doors but did they ever have heat in the cabs?

Heat? When that steam boiler was going, and the operator had to keep wood cut and tossed in often, I'd guess needing more heat wasn't on his mind.  :) :)

Great pics. And can one just imagine the amount of work needed to keep one running, getting it turned around for the trip back, and all the wood cut for keeping a head of steam? Those are the times when we needed more cameras for pics and videos.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

mad murdock

Wow! thanks bkellyvtme for posting those pics.  NW1, I used to climb on that old phoenix when I was a kid.  The Camp 5 farm and Rat river RR, was my favorite place to go in the summer time.  I remember that old machine in Rhinelander, do you know if it has been restored to steam up condition?  Thanks for posting! very cool stuff.  It is amazing to see how fast those old iron horses really moved, a perspective you could never get just by viewing old black and white "stills". 8) 8)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

hillsidevt

Great pics, thanks for sharing.

Lombard log haulers were in vented in Maine and were the first successful use of crawler tracks. Some early ones were steered by horses harnessed to the front.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lombard_Steam_Log_Hauler

snowstorm

made in waterville. there is one ust as you cross the bridge from winslow. some were gas engine powered . some steam. isnt there one up in patten also

Mooseherder

Patten has the Logging Museum.
It would make sense to have it there if one is available.
I have to get by there to see what they have some day.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

The website says they do have a steam hauler there. Probably lots of photos. It's not real far from here, a day trip. Mom and dad were down a couple years ago and they had a bean hole supper there. I was there years ago, too long ago to remember anything.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

fishpharmer

Cool video Northwoods.  Good info from all.  I do suppose the fact that I live in the South has a lot to do with why I have never seen one.  Thanks.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

D Hagens

Heat? When that steam boiler was going, and the operator had to keep wood cut and tossed in often, I'd guess needing more heat wasn't on his mind.  :) :)

Great pics. And can one just imagine the amount of work needed to keep one running, getting it turned around for the trip back, and all the wood cut for keeping a head of steam? Those are the times when we needed more cameras for pics and videos.
[/quote]

Yeah and now that I think of it I guess that wind blows backwards so the heat off the boiler keeps em pretty warm :D :D :D Where was my brain at :D :D

Maine372

harry crooker in topsham has one that i believe they had running at the old mans funeral.

and the leonards mills historical museum has one that they are trying to get rebuilt to run. they also have a waterwheel powered sawmill there. another good visit for anyone in the bangor area.

leonardsmills.com

trev

The Lombard log hauler had I think 4 versions steam, 4 cylindar Gas, 6 cylindar gas and i believe only 1 kerosene powered. 83 were built in all. T he one owned by crocker was restored by John Conners of St francis Maine. I was talking to John yesterday and he wants to restore another one and if anyone knows where there are parts of one please pm me.

captain_crunch

Pics 4-7 look like Lynn Tractors to me They have a chain inside a chain drive system used a 220 cummins engine and were verry pouplar in Canada and great lake country
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!