iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

new dogs and cat

Started by pigman, May 18, 2011, 10:09:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigman

Two stray dogs came up close to our house today. We have been without a good stray dog for several years. I knew that if we waited long enough a stray would come by and we would have a good farm dog. I sure didn't expect to get two at one time. 8) They seem a little shy, but I think if I feed them they will calm down and make good pets. They look a little thin, but some good dog food should put some weight on them.

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Mooseherder

Call them BanG and BooM. :D

Gary_C

Some baby pigs should fatten them up a little bit.  :D :D
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Texas Ranger

Do they sing to ya Bob?
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Norm

They bloat up real good on a diet of lead.  ;D

doctorb

If you had shot the strays with something else, you could have had a 2 for 1 deal.  Looks like an electric fence didn't keep them out.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

ely

i was thinking thru the shoulder on one and out the guts on the backside. any yote with a hole in it is a good yote.

doctorb

Is it just my lack of experience, or do you think that these guys are pretty young?  They appear that way to me from the pic, but I could easily be mistaken.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

pigman

They looked to be full size, but I didn't check their teeth. ;)

Yoopersaw

They are kind of cute.  A good cottontail distressed call will probably have them eating out of your hand in no time.

isawlogs

I think you should leave those strays alone and start cutting some hay.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pigman

Marcel, I will when it quits raining.

Dan_Shade

I shot a fox once about 20 yards away with a .300 Win Mag, there wasn't much left of it.

I think a fine cartridge like a .300 win mag would do the two of those critters justice.

Of course, I'm sure Mrs. pigman would love a new coat, so I think Mr. pigman should catch them by hand and drown them as to not damage the furs....
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

WDH

When you take them to the vet to get their shots, get them some nice collars.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Onthesauk

And we had a new kitty.

Bobcat hung around yesterday morning for half an hour.  Grassy knoll 100 plus feet up the hill from the house on the edge of the woods.  Fresh mowed grass, warm and sunny, just sat around, rolled around in the grass, just made himself at home.  Could be the young one we had hanging around last summer.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

D Hagens

Why would one want to kill such a beautiful animal ???  Is there a real reason that you need to get off by blasting a shot at something that never did anything to you :o
Instead of shooting the guy with a gun why not shoot as in take a pic of him with a cam :) :)

BTW this isn't hubby talking this is his wife Darla.  :) :) :)

WDH

Darla,

Every creature has its place in the world.  Some are beneficial to humans and some are not.  The problem we have here with the coyotes is that the population has exploded.  They can decimate wildlife desirable to humans like deer, turkey, quail, and ground nesting songbirds.  As they decimate these species, the coyotes own numbers fluctuate rising and falling with the prey animals.  That is nature's way.  Humans like deer, turkey, and quail, and as a result, we compete with the coyotes.  That is why many people want to shoot them, right or wrong.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Norm

As long as they keep their distance from my house they are safe, come to close and they get shot. You may think they are beautiful but may change your mind when you see your pet dog or cat in their mouth. They are also very hard on new calves and lambs.

I only shot things for two reasons, food or protecting my family and farm.

isawlogs

Darla my issue with them here is that we have/had free range chickens, well they think its free meals on legs. Ya can't raise free range chickens in a pen, between the foxes and the coyotes the raising gets thined out fast and becomes costly.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

thecfarm

Same here Norm. We have them here,just don't see them much. The few times my wife and I have seen them,even if we had a gun or camera,no time to take a shot. They took right off as soon as they see us. I have more trouble with foxes,coons and skunks. isawlogs is right about the free range.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

The train track is about 3 miles from me as the crow flies.  At night, when the train comes through and blows the whistle approaching a country road crossing, the whistle sets them off into a cacophony of howling.  That is one way to tell how many there are in proximity.  It is way more than you would think.

SwampDonkey

I discovered a coyote den on my woodlot. It wasn't occupied recently that I could tell. Should maybe take a picture when I resume thinning again. One thing about thinning, you find all the wildlife dens.  ;D :D

Found a porky den yesterday in a hemlock root ball. He has all the cherry stripped around it. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Last year one of my labs found a porky  ::) :o  300$ later we got the dog back from the vet. Yesterday on my way in I saw a porky on the road, zipped on by him and got my gun, I will not be paying no vet bill for this porky's advenbtures near my lab or vise versa.

Marcel

WildDog

Quote300$ later we got the dog back from the vet.

Isawlogs no doubt a silly question, what do the porcupines do to dogs, have their spines got venom? our echidnas have plenty of spines but they don't cause any harm, Wilddogs/Dingoes roll them into water so they unroll and then theyy can get to their soft unprotected bellies.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

Ianab

I think porcupines tend to shed spines, that get stuck into whatever is attacking them. Then they get infected, and you have to spend $$ for the vet to clean up the mess - putting dog to sleep, removing spines, dosing it up with anti-biotics etc

I've only seen both critters in a zoo, but the Echidna seems a lot less dangerous, spiny for sure, but not the long quills like a porcupine.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WildDog

Thanks for that Ian.
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

thecfarm

Speaking of porcupine my dog found one the other day. We went for a walk,I did not take a gun,I know better and he starts his, I got something bark,PaPa.Was hoping not a skunk. Was a porcupine. No way he was going to leave his prize. I move right along down to the house,jumped on to the tractor for the ride back and off I go with my trusty 22. The porcupine had moved quite a bit,but I just followed his barking and found him. Still no quills in Boo Boo. The porcupine was under a rock,so a few shots and he was all done for. Took alot of "Good Boys" and "Thank-you" to get him from his prize. The wood chunks I let him chew on them some. He got quills from 3 so far.One was a real young porcupine. The small ones has quills as thin as the hair on your head. He had to go to a vet to get them all. I even went and bought another pair of pliers because all of mine would not close tight enough. Had 3 more down by his gums inside his month. The quills are all black at that age and so fine I could not see them.The inside of his gums are black too. The other 2 were not bad. One I had to carry him back home because he got some in his paw. Than once I let him in the house and he had some in his nose and face,something like 60 of them. This was when my step son girl friend was here. She's a city girl and had a fit when I started to pull them.It was 11 0'clock at night,have to do something. She got a lesson on country living. ;D Did not have any inside his month and they was not deep so I got them all that time. This was also an old one,they was bigger and easier to pull out. Just for you guys from the other end of the planet,they do not throw quills. They will thump their tails as a warning and to loosen up the quills so when they hit you with their tails they come out of their tail better.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Fishers make short work of them quill dogs.  ;D

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

Quote from: WildDog on May 22, 2011, 03:58:07 AM
Quote300$ later we got the dog back from the vet.

Isawlogs no doubt a silly question, what do the porcupines do to dogs, have their spines got venom? our echidnas have plenty of spines but they don't cause any harm, Wilddogs/Dingoes roll them into water so they unroll and then theyy can get to their soft unprotected bellies.

Not a silly question, The porcupines deffends itself, the stoopid dog only wants to p^lay with it , until the porky slaps him with his tail  :o  Then the stoopid dog wants revenge from the slap and then really gets slapped around  ::) He came home with a black and white face, not any place on his face that had no quills. He was brought to the vet to remove them and had so many they kept him over night to check him over the next day. The quills attache to the skin and have air pocket and the little hoocks make that they always move forward, so they work there way in and infection gets in and if not treated it just gets worst.

Marcel

pigman

Well, I must be luckiest guy in the world. 8) A new stray cat showed up this evening. He seems pretty tame, but I couldn't get close enough to pet him before he moved away. I think if I put some food out I should be able to pet him in a short time.

WH_Conley

Pretty sure Bob. Those cats are usually pretty gentle, don't run away very much. I had one in the live trap in the garden. You want to move reeeaaal slow, so you don't scare them, they are kind of timid.
Bill

Mooseherder

You're gonna like your new kitty.
That variety likes to snuggle and has lingering effects. ;D

SwampDonkey

They keep your lawn manicured to. ;D

sprucebunny

Wildlife is getting cozy at my friend's house .....

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

SwampDonkey

Baby coons are cute, but I bet they get into everything with them dexterous hands. :D

Is she house trained? ;)

WDH

Bob,

The best way to catch a timid cat like that is to corner it and try to catch it in a big fish net  :).

Norm

The best way to catch those kind of cats is to sneak up behind them.  :o

treefarmer87

i had one spray me when i was younger :D. i had foot traps set for coons and fox, it was in a thicket and i walked up on him :o
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Dan_Shade

I had to stand in the corner when I was in the first grade for saying I liked the smell of a pole cat. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

SwampDonkey

:D :D :D :D

Got new potted plants out around, so the coons love to get up into them and dig and knock them over. I also suspect a dog to, which is about to get my boot. >:(

Thank You Sponsors!