iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

?Best LIGHT Saw Without Breaking the Bank:

Started by MtShastaMax, May 17, 2011, 11:22:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtShastaMax

??? I need to Manzanita and branch trimming. About 50 hours per year. My last saw was Stihl 192T. I have not been happy with it after the first year. I was about to buy a Huskvarna 334T because  I have heard the Huskys are the best saw and I have a 455 I am happy with. I read here a thread saying MS200T Stihl was the best limbing saw.
The MS200T is more than I should spend at $530. I was thinking more closer to 250-300. There were a lot of Husky lovers saying Stihl made the best "T" saw.

Can we have a discussion on what saw it right for me. I have a bad back so LIGHT is important. Also, it does not necessarily have to have the "T" handle setup since most of my cutting is two handed on the ground. This is for homeowner use.

Thanks in Advance,

Mt. Shasta Max

Cut4fun

Money no object 200T $579 around here new. 

On your budget 200-300 look at the Husky T435, Redmax 3500, Solo 637 JMO.

mad murdock

Welcome to the Forestry Forum MtShastaMax.  IF budget is an issue, look around for a used saw.  I bought a Poulan wild thing from the pawn shop a few years back, and it has been surprisingly a good saw.  I just got a new chain for it, (semi-chisel, no safety-link), and it cuts fantastic!  If you are an occasional wood cutter, and haven't had much exposure to a saw without the anti-kickback link, I would recommend sticking with the safety chain though. I think I paid $75.00 for it.  Use straight gas in the saw (with 2 cycle oil of course), stay away from the ethanol gas, if you can.  If not, be sure and use some stabilizer in the gas, especially if you are going to have it sitting unused for longer periods.  You can go to the local airport fixed base operator (FBO) and buy a 5 gallon can full of 100 octane "low lead", and have it on hand for use as you need, when you need.  Aviation gasoline does not go "bad" as fast as auto gas does.  I have seen aircraft sit for 3-4 years and the gas still be ok.  try that with regular gas from the filling station, and you won't have the same result, or worse yet with these ethanol blends that most states are mandating these days, and the gas will sour even more rapidly.  I run all my mixed gas at 32:1, it may smoke a tad bit more than the 40:1 or 50:1 mixes that Stihl recommends with their oil, but oil is cheap, I have never had a sparkplug oil foul on me, and the little extra "smoke" is a great bug repellant too.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Thank You Sponsors!