iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Burnt Out.....

Started by Coon, May 17, 2011, 04:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Coon

Nothing has been mentioned on the forum about the recent tragedies of Slave Lake, Alberta.  A large portion of Slave Lake was burnt to the ground by a recent forest fire.  Many people left with the clothes on their backs and took the family and fled for cover and are awaiting to be let back home to see the devastation.   My heart goes out to all those who have lost everything and have to begin to accept that they have to rebuild their lives.

Here is a bit of info on the situation I am talking of.

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110516/slave-lake-alberta-wildfire-evacuation-110516/

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Yes, that is a bad nightmare up there. They had build some new public buildings last year that burnt down also. I heard 40% of the town burned down.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Sprucegum

My niece and her family (husband and 3 teenagers) live there; their house is completely gone. They are moving in with my sister in Wetaskiwin until things get sorted out.

Good news is out of the whole town, 7000 people, no one was hurt or killed.

sawguy21

That is a huge fire devastating for the community that is dependent on forestry as well as gas and oil exploration. The area, covered by aspen and spruce, has been unusually warm and dry for the last few weeks,
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Bandmill Bandit

One of the worst wild fires on record at this point. One of the fire chiefs in the area was on the radio news yesterday and said that the wind was blowing up to 100 MPH gusts and was causing flame jumps of over 500 metres at a jump. Apparently a lot of people had about 5 to 10 minutes or less to get out from the time they fire department turned the evacuation standby alert to a get out now order. The town was surrounded on 3 sides by fire and the left only one way out and they managed to get every body out including evacuation of the hospital. Hospital has had some minor damage from the effort to save it mostly. The new town hall is levelled along with the RCMP station. The library was a total loss as well.

The fire is still not under control and the water bombers are grounded because of high wind and heavy swell of 4 to 6 feet on the lake so fire fighting is very dangerous as well. Crews are coming in from all over this continent with equipment.

One of the big concerns is keeping the fire out of the peat bogs in the area. So far the run off water ha been enough to keep that from happening according to the news and a few of the fire fighter friends of ours that are on the front lines up there.

630 CHED news radio is on the ground and helping coordinate relief efforts. http://www.630ched.com/landing/news.aspx

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

isawlogs

I have not been watching the news in the past few weeks , thanks for bringing this up. I can't imagine what it would be to start all over again from the ground up. All material memories gone, my heart goes out to them. I am really happy to know that no one was hurt or lost thats almost a miracle in itself.
  I fought forest fires in the spring when younger, its one of the most demanding jobs I have ever took on, but one of the most rewarding inside.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Thank You Sponsors!